Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/27/2009 4:46:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 5:03:33 AM EDT
[#1]
No. It's still a better platform and much more secure. Notice you still have to intentionally download and/or install the bogus software on the mac. It doesn't come in and infect the computer through the web or email like with a PC.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 5:05:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Nope. 100,000+ people on this site and nobody uses a Mac.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 5:07:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Is that your new favorite reply to everything?

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 5:07:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I have two.

One is full auto.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 5:09:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 5:09:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I have two.
One is full auto.

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 5:10:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only to the question "does anyone here......."
Of course SOMEONE here does.  In a group of over 100,000 thousand there is SOMEONE here who likes/uses/has done just about anything.

Hey, does anyone here drive a Honda?
Duh, of course there are people here who drive a Honda.

Who here drives a Honda?  Hey look! A question that more accurately requests the answer that is being searched for.  

Sorry to the OP. I am in a mood.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 5:23:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only to the question "does anyone here......."
Of course SOMEONE here does.  In a group of over 100,000 thousand there is SOMEONE here who likes/uses/has done just about anything.

Hey, does anyone here drive a Honda?
Duh, of course there are people here who drive a Honda.

Who here drives a Honda?  Hey look! A question that more accurately requests the answer that is being searched for.  

Sorry to the OP. I am in a mood.

I have a Mac and a Honda!
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 6:19:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I have 3 Macs a Subaru and.....a miata!
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 7:28:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have two.

One is full auto.

Have 2 also - both have the $200 instant empty mag option.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 7:31:36 AM EDT
[#11]
New Mac user here, never going back to a PC.  The only thing I like better about a PC is Microsoft Word.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 7:41:25 AM EDT
[#12]
New Mac user here, never going back to a PC. The only thing I like better about a PC is Microsoft Word.

and you can buy Microsoft  office for your Mac

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 7:47:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
New Mac user here, never going back to a PC.  The only thing I like better about a PC is Microsoft Word.

NeoOffice.  

Since I dont pirate software via torrents, I am not overly concerned.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 7:55:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

NeoOffice.  

Since I dont pirate software via torrents, I am not overly concerned.

+1

Sounds like you have to go out of your way to get this one.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 7:56:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Life-long Mac user here.  Never actually seen a Mac virus firsthand in my entire life.  No, I don't want any of you trying to make up for that deficiency...  
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:01:27 AM EDT
[#16]
In before the haters
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:05:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Proud and happy Mac user here (except in the office, where I'm forced to use this POS Dell).

So.......... malware is being written for the Mac now that sales are up and they are becoming more popular, eh? So much for the "Mac sales aren't growing" haters.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:06:55 AM EDT
[#18]
So you're able to install a Trojan on your Mac after typing in your password.

Amazing!

Long way to go before they catch up with Windows.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:13:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Mac owner, AR15 owner, its good!
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:17:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Mac owner, AR15 owner, its good!

+1
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:36:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Machine code compatible now.

Integrated Win32 VM available.

add in some crafty pop-ups to scare people into downloading a 'free scan', boom.  and removing it would be a bitch.

I think I'll look at servicing macs soon.  SThey were designed from the ground up  to protect the machine from the user.  That has now changed.  Thankfully, it all runs on a *nix variant, which should make fixing easy "under the hood", provided you add the app that lets you get there.

What I HATE about Apple is the same thing I HATE about M$.  M$ Bends you over into proprietary software at absurd prices.  Mac does that with hardware, you can't find much for "Mac Compatible" internal hardware.  Their software is also linked, but not nearly as bad as M$ et al.

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:43:42 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

No. It's still a better platform and much more secure. Notice you still have to intentionally download and/or install the bogus software on the mac. It doesn't come in and infect the computer through the web or email like with a PC.

Dozens of people I know do it WEEKLY, and they've been told what to look out for!

One thing going for mac for protection is the Firefox type browser, rather than "Infect Me 7.0" from Microsoft.  If you notice, Nearly ALL trojans/worms/viruses use method of transport through/between Microsoft products.  Stay away from them and don't click on anything you are not fully aware of A) why you are seeing it  B)  what it will actually do (not the same as what it says it will do).

I am a hardcore Linux guy, and I could deal with a mac if I had the option of the 3 "buttonless" mouse, Speedy 3d Graphics Card (nVidia 290-ish) ,with X Window supervisor on graphics, and SEC supervisor enabled globally.  (turn it into a hopped up linux box that can run all 3 OS)

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:44:32 AM EDT
[#23]
I have two macbooks.  One is turret mounted and belt fed and the other mag fed with rails and beemz.  Both run full rock & roll.  

Is malware really a trojoan virus if you physically have to download and install it?  Hmmm...no.

I never download pirated crap anyway.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:49:52 AM EDT
[#24]
went from pc to mac back to pc

the koolaid tastes gross.  mac are good for little but cutesy animations within the os and the lifestyle.  i-this and that.

i guess if all i used my computer for was looking at email and browsing the web, it would be good enough.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:52:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Yeh, like there's any chance it would affect MacOS 9.2...

Virus immunity through obsolescence... Woo-hoo!
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:53:35 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I have two macbooks.  One is turret mounted and belt fed and the other mag fed with rails and beemz.  Both run full rock & roll.  

Is malware really a trojoan virus if you physically have to download and install it?  Hmmm...no.

I never download pirated crap anyway.
YES!

There is one out for PCs that pops up with a VERY authentic window stating "Virus/spyware foudnd".  The company purchased a code signed license, and so is in the "Trusted Zones" by default.  Once it loads, it disables all other virus scanning sofware and coninually pops up with "Threat Detected, register ($50)) to repair!".  They named it like a "Microsoft Product" as well:  "MS Spycan 2009"

It's hurting a lot of people, since revolking keys isn't so quick and easy.

Face it.  If you make up enough of a usergroup to be a target, you WILL get hit.    There is no "magic" in operating systems.  Only the "Usability"<––––––––––––––––>"Secure" middleground where develepers try to find a sweet spot.

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:55:32 AM EDT
[#27]
15" and 17" MacBook Pro

I love them, and run Windows XP in parallel for programs that need it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 9:05:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Bought my first Mac a few months back, still kicking myself for waiting so long..  I WILL NEVER buy another PC, EVER!!!

Mac makes software called VMware Fusion that allows you to run Windows software & apps on your Mac, you can go from windows to Mac applications without re-booting.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 9:25:45 AM EDT
[#29]
20 year Mac user here.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

add in some crafty pop-ups to scare people into downloading a 'free scan', boom.  and removing it would be a bitch.

I think I'll look at servicing macs soon.  SThey were designed from the ground up  to protect the machine from the user.  That has now changed.  Thankfully, it all runs on a *nix variant, which should make fixing easy "under the hood", provided you add the app that lets you get there.

What I HATE about Apple is the same thing I HATE about M$.  M$ Bends you over into proprietary software at absurd prices.  Mac does that with hardware, you can't find much for "Mac Compatible" internal hardware.  Their software is also linked, but not nearly as bad as M$ et al.

The command line (Terminal) is built in, and the basic internals are mostly cross-platform.  Hard drives and ram are always cheaper from a PC vendor.

Last I checked, Apple ran Applecare Certified Technician training about like everyone else.  Watch the videos, take the test.  Nice piece of paper to have too, because depot level repair parts are only available to ACT techs.  There's a few flavors of cert too.  I'd recommend against concentrating too much on servers though.  Apple certainly doesn't.  If I had a few months to do nothing but improve my skills, I'd concentrate on perfecting my ability to run Apple clients effectively from generic unix servers, or maybe even in a Windows server environment.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 10:50:49 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm a linux guy, but I think many of those skills would transfer.

I've touched a Mac once, in college.  It was OK, I guess.  Reminded me of Gnome :)
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 11:13:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Mac-Linux user
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have two.

One is full auto.

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 11:20:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What I HATE about Apple is the same thing I HATE about M$.  M$ Bends you over into proprietary software at absurd prices.  Mac does that with hardware, you can't find much for "Mac Compatible" internal hardware. Their software is also linked, but not nearly as bad as M$ et al.

That's because most of it is PC internal hardware...

Hard drives, RAM, video boards, DVD burners, all PC compatible.

My internal DVD burner went TU a couple years back. I replaced it with one made for PCs that Apple also supported.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I HATE about Apple is the same thing I HATE about M$.  M$ Bends you over into proprietary software at absurd prices.  Mac does that with hardware, you can't find much for "Mac Compatible" internal hardware. Their software is also linked, but not nearly as bad as M$ et al.

My internal DVD burner went TU a couple years back. I replaced it with one made for PCs that Apple also supported.

They're getting away from it, but the best example of Apple being a PITA with hardware was the Megaraid card for the Xserves.  $150 PC component with custom firmware, and now it's a magic $500 APPLE raid card.  And god help you if you didn't get one during the 6 month span Apple had 'em available, because nothing else will work right and they're not available elsewhere.

Or how about the iBook/Macbook VGA adapters.. Or the self-destructing clamshell powercords.. Or the self-destructing white ibook power sockets.. Or the Apple Airport wireless setup which costs four times what the competitors do, with a life expectancy one quarter of them..

Emac CMOS batteries.  Emac friggin hard drives.. Good luck finding it without the manual and a pair of dowsing wands..

Yea, they're still better machines, but when all you do all goddamn day is fix problems with 'em, the problems form patterns and get somewhat annoying
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 11:43:57 AM EDT
[#36]
There have always been malicious files available for the Mac, just because some asshole decided to stick one in a torrent and call it something else does not mean the end of Macs as we know it.

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're getting away from it, but the best example of Apple being a PITA with hardware was the Megaraid card for the Xserves.  $150 PC component with custom firmware, and now it's a magic $500 APPLE raid card.  And god help you if you didn't get one during the 6 month span Apple had 'em available, because nothing else will work right and they're not available elsewhere.

Or how about the iBook/Macbook VGA adapters.. Or the self-destructing clamshell powercords.. Or the self-destructing white ibook power sockets.. Or the Apple Airport wireless setup which costs four times what the competitors do, with a life expectancy one quarter of them..

Emac CMOS batteries.  Emac friggin hard drives.. Good luck finding it without the manual and a pair of dowsing wands..

Yea, they're still better machines, but when all you do all goddamn day is fix problems with 'em, the problems form patterns and get somewhat annoying

I know of no one who has experienced any of the problems you reference.  Sorry.

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'm not surprised.  We've got something like 900 500 (let's not get crazy), of the things.  Lots more throws of the hardware dice

You might've seen a 14" iBook with a fried motherboard though.. Every one of them we bought died early.  12" iBooks within a certain date range could be expected to lose their displays.  The last gen 12" iBooks had poorly soldered power plug connectors too, so if you disassembled one, you stood about a 50/50 chance of ripping the socket off the mobo.. That was nice. Then there's the Macbooks with the overheating (?) hard drives.. We've seen 60% of our inventory of one MB model lose their drives without hope of recovery.  Everything built after that has perforations on the drive caddy to relieve heat, but they'll deny any pattern of failure and throw you to the wolves if you're outta warranty..

Or just the location of the hard drive on the iBook, eMac, and iMac lines.. I mean, why put something you KNOW is going to fail sometime so deep inside the machine that it takes an hour of assembly/disassembly, the manual, and a sacrifice to Kali to change the damn thing out.

Ok, I'll stop now.  I try to leave work at work

* Edited for a little accuracy.  Lets not get nuts.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 12:44:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not surprised.  We've got something like 900 of the things.  Lots more throws of the hardware dice

You might've seen a 14" iBook with a fried motherboard though.. Every one of them we bought died early.  12" iBooks within a certain date range could be expected to lose their displays.  The last gen 12" iBooks had poorly soldered power plug connectors too, so if you disassembled one, you stood about a 50/50 chance of ripping the socket off the mobo.. That was nice. Then there's the Macbooks with the overheating (?) hard drives.. We've seen 60% of our inventory of one MB model lose their drives without hope of recovery.  Everything built after that has perforations on the drive caddy to relieve heat, but they'll deny any pattern of failure and throw you to the wolves if you're outta warranty..

Or just the location of the hard drive on the iBook, eMac, and iMac lines.. I mean, why put something you KNOW is going to fail sometime so deep inside the machine that it takes an hour of assembly/disassembly, the manual, and a sacrifice to Kali to change the damn thing out.

Thanks for the info.  Give the same number of Sony, Dell, HP or other manufacturer Laptops, how many would have these or other (software) problems?
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#40]
I don't pirate software.  Apply a little common sense, and you have nothing to worry about.

I use a Mac at home, and a PC on the job.  I don't really have complaints about either, but prefer the Mac.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not surprised.  We've got something like 900 of the things.  Lots more throws of the hardware dice

Thanks for the info.  Give the same number of Sony, Dell, HP or other manufacturer Laptops, how many would have these or other (software) problems?

All of them.

I've done the same thing I do now in PC environments in the past, and it seems like every computer manufacturer makes their share of lemons.  Some models are more prone than others, but it's not maker specific by any means.  Sucks too because by the time you really know about the failure rate of a model, they change it.

Though I do say that the last gen white Macbook is still available on their website for a grand even.  We've got a bunch of them in service with no failures yet.  The vents on the HD caddy seem to have done the trick.  That's Mac's deal, they put out a few generations of a new model, work all the bugs out, then ditch it for something prettier.  Then they have to knock the bugs out of that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 1:17:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of them.

I've done the same thing I do now in PC environments in the past, and it seems like every computer manufacturer makes their share of lemons.  Some models are more prone than others, but it's not maker specific by any means.  Sucks too because by the time you really know about the failure rate of a model, they change it.

Though I do say that the last gen white Macbook is still available on their website for a grand even.  We've got a bunch of them in service with no failures yet.  The vents on the HD caddy seem to have done the trick.  That's Mac's deal, they put out a few generations of a new model, work all the bugs out, then ditch it for something prettier.  Then they have to knock the bugs out of that.

I have two of the white macbooks.  One is mine and one is my fiance's.  Neither of us have had issue #1 with them in over a year.  I use mine fairly heavily too.

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of them.

I have two of the white macbooks.  One is mine and one is my fiance's.  Neither of us have had issue #1 with them in over a year.  I use mine fairly heavily too.

Well if you're paranoid, pop out the battery and pull the what, 3? captive screws in the L-shaped metal bracket with a #0 Phillips.
Under the short end of the L you'll see the HD with a plastic tab.  Unfold and pull the tab, HD's out.  Check the metal "caddy" the HD is in.  If it's perforated, it's the new design.  No perforations are the ones we've had issues with.

Not sure what you could do if it is the bad one.  Maybe Apple would send you the new part (it's like a two cent piece of bent metal), but more likely you'd have to hunt for it on the web.  The drives that have died have been stone cold dead too.. We tried everything on them short of sending out to a clean room, and they were toast.  

But I'd bet most of our people will never have a problem, one way or the other.  It's just a common point of failure on the model.  The plastic edges flake too.  Everything breaks one way or another

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 2:16:51 PM EDT
[#44]
My .02 . . . .

I'm an experienced computer user and am currently looking to purchase a new laptop.  It will NOT have Windows installed on it.  Microsoft OSes have been full of fail for at least the past 8 years, if not longer.  It typically either doesn't work at all (Windows Me, XP pre-Sp1, Vista with any slightly non-standard hardware, etc.) or it works, but is so full of security holes that you have to have a software firewall, anti-virus and anti-malware running on it at all times.  These "extra" programs tend to suck up system resources and often interfere with each other - not a very productive environment for getting real work done (or play).

That leaves Linux and Mac.  Both are very secure operating systems.  Linux is probably a bit more secure (especially with SELinux or App Armor), but the Mac is a bit more user-friendly.  However, Linux itself is usually free (as in beer (i.e. costs you nothing) and as in speech (no vendor has their hooks in you and you have the source code if you want to see what it is really doing)).  Linux can run on almost any hardware - you are not tied to a specific platform so you can go cheap or as expensive as you want.  Almost all the software for Linux is free and is usually of extremely high quality (especially compared to Microsoft products).

Macs are typically very easy to use, but you pay through the nose for the hardware/operating system and apps typically cost a moderate amount of money.

I've been looking at mid-range and high-end laptops.  The Dells with Ubuntu Linux installed on them (no Windows) are very good machines for a fraction of the cost of the equivalent Mac - in some cases half the cost (for the high end machines).  Yes, the Macs have a slightly nicer UI and in some cases, slightly nicer hardware, but at a 100% premium.

For the high end machines I am looking at (2.5GHz CPU, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD drive), the Macs are about $3,000 and the Dell machines are about $1,533.    So I can buy the Dell and still have enough money left over for a nice rifle or two.

. . . .

or I could look at the extra $1,467 for Mac as the cost of bling. . . .

Lemme think, rifle or bling . . . . that's an easy one!
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I have a Mac and a Honda!

That explains everything!
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#47]
So you have to:
1. download a pirated version of iWork'09 on the torrents
2. install it (illegally)
3. type in the admin password while doing so to give it root access
4. then you are infected

That's it! I'm throwing my Macbook away and going back to my Texas Instruments TI-503SV Hand held Calculator  

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
So you have to:
1. download a pirated version of iWork'09 on the torrents
2. install it (illegally)
3. type in the admin password while doing so to give it root access
4. then you are infected

That's it! I'm throwing my Macbook away and going back to my Texas Instruments TI-503SV Hand held Calculator  

Even a TI calculator would be susceptible to a trojan.  If you willfully install malicious software on a computing device, it will act...um... maliciously.

The article is full of shit.

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Not worried, I'm still smug.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 4:07:46 PM EDT
[#50]
I own this page.

ETA: Shit I failed
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top