BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2004 4:56:19 PM EDT
How hard are the tests? I am considering taking the following this November:

Gasoline Engines (Test T1)
Diesel Engines (Test T2)
Electrical/Electronic Systems (Test T6)
Preventive Maintenance Inspection (PMI) (Test T8)

I have a strong background in the theory for all those, and a lot of experience (12 years) however almost all my experience is on military tactical vehicles, not civilian vehicles. So how much of these tests are going to be specific to items I won't have run into....... say if they are asking about alternators, will it be a general theory of operation/repair or will it be a question that would have an answer unique to a specific style of alternator?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:03:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess it depends on how much you know.  ASEs are bullshit.
IMO, ASE tests are just a money making scheme for ASE corporation. Dealers only pimp it because the sheeple think some hack with a patch on his sleeve knows what he's doing.
I am an ASE master with L1 and I only take them because Toyota requires it to meet their standards.
I know many ASE "master" techs who I wouldn't let change the oil in my lawn mower.
Easiest way to pass is to get their study guides and use just them. They like to use "tech A says, tech B says, who's right crap.
If taking them will make you more money then go for it but I hope your employer pays for them.
Mine does and I doubt I would pay my own money if they didn't
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:12:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, the Army will pay for them. The Army is pushing ASE and other civilian certifications and schooling for its maintenance soldiers under a new program. I cannot expect my soldiers to strive for it unless I have it myself, so therfore I will be taking them.

They are also taking them into account on enlisted promotion boards, and Warrant Officer boards for 915A and 919A (my MOS). Although as a reservists my boards are not as competative as AC at the moment due to a lack of 919A's system wide they will still be a plus.

Plus, I think it will just plain look sharp to have an ASE sign hanging outside the maintenance tent in Afganistan next year
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yeah, the Army will pay for them. The Army is pushing ASE and other civilian certifications and schooling for its maintenance soldiers under a new program. I cannot expect my soldiers to strive for it unless I have it myself, so therfore I will be taking them.

They are also taking them into account on enlisted promotion boards, and Warrant Officer boards for 915A and 919A (my MOS). Although as a reservists my boards are not as competative as AC at the moment due to a lack of 919A's system wide they will still be a plus.

Plus, I think it will just plain look sharp to have an ASE sign hanging outside the maintenance tent in Afganistan next year

Under those circumstances, take them.
But as I said, the best way to pass is to get their study guides.  Our dealership bought the whole set and we loan them out to techs when they are going to take the tests.
They work the best because they are worded the same way the tests are.
Good luck !
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#4]
 From my experience just read the question and answer, dont overthink the question.
Sometimes real morons make up the tests or they are specific to make/model but may
not apply to all.  Some emmision knowledge is required on some and almost all military
vehicles are exempt from those standards.  You'll do fine or if not at least you'll understand
their thought process for the next time.  Good Luck.

P.S.  If you ever see Tech nametags that say "A" or "B" take your ride somewhere else.

Master Tech/ Old 63B
Dustdevil out
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:10:45 PM EDT
[#5]
the only other thing good about ASE certs is you can get college credits for them, just contact ASE
and they will send you the transcripts
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:41:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys...ordered the study guides from Amazon today.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:53:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Besides the fact ASE is complete BS! just read the script and take the test....glad your not paying for it where I work they'll pay you also after the fact and you passed PFFFFT!so you passed a check box test good for you heres a Banana bonzo
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top