Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2006 3:31:47 PM EDT
Can anyone recommend a good one besides Norton?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:33:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:34:45 PM EDT
[#2]
prepare to get 100 different answers from 100 different users...

i was very dissapointed with norton.  i'll be buying a new computer soon, and it will be getting a copy of "trojan hunter".
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:45:05 PM EDT
[#3]
AVG is what I recommend to people. Use it myself on my windows partition.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#4]
There are a couple of good ones that are free.  One is AVG, go to www.free.grisoft.com, the other is Avast, www.avast.com.  You should couple it with a good anti-spyware program, the Microsoft one is good and also free, go to www.microsoft.com and look for it under Windows Defender Beta.

Other free anti-spyware programs are Ad-Aware and Spybot.

To complete the trifecta you might want to have a firewall better than the one in Windows XP - like Zone alarm personal which is also free.

Make sure that you uinistall any anti-virus and spyware programs that you already have before loading the new ones.  With Windows XP you just disable the firewall, not uninstall it.  Ad Aware, Spybot and Zone alarm can all be gotten at www.download.com

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:13:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Can anyone recommend a good one besides Norton?

These days, you're better off getting an integrated security suite that includes an antivirus, firewall and spyware/adware/trojan protection programs with frequent automatic updates, at least weekly.  The  brand is a personal decision.  Like anything else, what I prefer may not be the "best" for your needs, budget, computer system, computing skills and need for product support.  In other words, there is no "best" software.  Research what's currently available and choose based on your findings.  If you're still in doubt, choose among the major players like Symantec, McAfee, etc.  Remember, regardless of which brand(s) you end up with, there is no substitute for frequent full-system backups.

I'm currently using Norton SystemWorks 2006, Norton Personal Firewall 2006, Microsoft Defender (beta) and Retrospect Backup Professional, for what it's worth.  Next year, I'll take another look at the next crop of secruity and backup programs and maybe go in another direction entirely.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:05:31 PM EDT
[#6]
nod32

panda

commandondemand

etrust

avast   free.  i usually don't recommend freee but  

ewido

i hate norton / mcafee products  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:14:55 PM EDT
[#7]
AVG here too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top