Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2002 6:38:53 PM EDT
A recently published novel, written in 1996, about the governor of Idaho kicking the Feds out of his state over a "state's rights" issue.  It leads to armed conflict between the Regular Army/Air Force, the Idaho National Guard, militia types, etc.  The author, Harold Coyle, is a former Army officer with nine other novels to his credit.

Very good read.  Anyone else read it, yet?
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll have to check this out. Thanks. How does it end?

Link Posted: 5/30/2002 6:56:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 7:00:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry.  No spoilers for those who wish to read an excellent book.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 7:16:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Just bought  copy on amazon.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#6]
OK.  Here's a tidbit.  The militia plays a significant role, mostly as thugs and live targets.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 4:25:28 PM EDT
[#7]
sounds like a good book. but you never gave us the title !!

how am i supposed to find it ???????

just kidding.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#8]
You're not one of those militia guys, are ya ray? [;)]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 4:49:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You're not one of those militia guys, are ya ray? [;)]
View Quote

hahahaha..
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:17:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Question for you guys:

Was Jefferson Davis a terrorist ?  Would he be labled as such if he were alive today ?
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes he would be labled that be CNN in a heartbeat..

as far as the book goes I beleive there was a movie made out if it.. if its the same one you will enjoy it...

can I spoil itfor ya?  can I can I ....????
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:10:31 PM EDT
[#12]
The book has nothing to do with the circumstances of the Civil War.  It has everything to do with an ambitious governor attempting to use a "states rights" issue to catapult him into the White House where [b]HE[/b] would become the leader of the very Federal Government he opposes at home.  

No, it hasn't been made into a movie.  The book was written in 1996 and only published in the last week or so.

Read the book before you get carried away and try to hijack the topic to feed your frustrations over the outcome of a futile war that ended 137 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:14:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The book has nothing to do with the circumstances of the Civil War.  
Read the book before you get carried away and try to hijack the topic to feed your frustrations over the outcome of a futile war that ended 137 years ago.
View Quote

That's quite a tall order around here.

[sarcasm]It's more fun to flame away than to read what's been posted, more fun to hijack a thread than to start one's own.[/sarcasm]

I'll give it a try.  The book I mean.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:42:50 PM EDT
[#14]
It's really a good book, typical of Coyle's past work, and involving The family of his main character from some of his earlier works, General Scott Dixon and his immediate family, as well as one of the survivors of the previous books, LTCOL Nancy Kozak.  The focus is primarily on the military response to the political conflict from both sides and as a result, may tend to have more meaning for current and former military than those who see things from the "states rights" or militia viewpoint.

It's not a "The South Will Rise Again" kinda thing.  The action takes place in Idaho.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 10:08:03 PM EDT
[#15]
WHOOPS!!!

Amazon bio says he's a {GASP} VMI grad!!

Oh well, I'll read it anyway.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 11:15:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok, well then it sounds kind of like an abuse of states rights by an Arkansas(oooops Idaho) governor.  Sorry, had to throw that one in there.  The book description on amazon.com sounds great.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 5:53:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top