Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2004 3:53:48 PM EDT
I know this is beaten to death, but the search engine is clunky.  Can someone email a link or instructions or post them for removing an Armalite brake that has actually removed one?  Is it soldered?  Pinned?  I have oxyacetelene, grinder, dremel, vise, etc. but would like to make this as painless as possible.  Maybe an approximate pin location too.  Is the barrel truly threaded under that thing?

Also, the front sight post, it it a slip fit on the barrel, press fit, or does it need to be heated after pin removal?

Thanks     wildearp at hotmail.com

free at last.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:59:54 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I know this is beaten to death, but the search engine is clunky.  Can someone email a link or instructions or post them for removing an Armalite brake that has actually removed one?  Is it soldered?  Pinned?  I have oxyacetelene, grinder, dremel, vise, etc. but would like to make this as painless as possible.  Maybe an approximate pin location too.  Is the barrel truly threaded under that thing?

Also, the front sight post, it it a slip fit on the barrel, press fit, or does it need to be heated after pin removal?

Thanks     wildearp at hotmail.com

free at last.

More information is required. Is you brake blind pinned? Is the pins showing on either side near to the rear of the brake? If it is blind pinned, generally you will see a color distortion (rings) at or near the underneath of the brake near to the rear.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:22:27 AM EDT
[#2]
That is what I am trying to find out.  Did Armalite pin or solder these?  I can't see any pin, but it could be coated over.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:27:25 AM EDT
[#3]
they are pinned.  in the case of a 16" carbine the actual barrel length is 15 - 15/16.  so you will be short of the legal limit by 1/16".  

you have to drill out the blind pin and then simply unscrew the break.
not all pins are drilled square to the axis.  some come in at funky angles.

so now you got the break off but you also have an illigal Short barreled rifle.
that's Randy Weaver style bad JuJu.  

either throw the barrel away and get a new one that is 16" from armalite or have a FS pinned or welded on your barrel.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:30:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a 20" Armalite upper I needed the brake off of...I called Armalite, and the girl who I talked to said she "wasn't sure" how the brakes were attached.  I took the path of least resistance, and sent the upper to Compass Lake...they cut the brake off and recrowned the muzzle, and installed the float tube for me for about $50.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:35:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I had a 20" Armalite upper I needed the brake off of...I called Armalite, and the girl who I talked to said she "wasn't sure" how the brakes were attached.  I took the path of least resistance, and sent the upper to Compass Lake...they cut the brake off and recrowned the muzzle, and installed the float tube for me for about $50.  

What about the bayo lug?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:05:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What about the bayo lug?

sol with that block.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:34:30 AM EDT
[#7]
http://www.aoe.vt.edu/~jchock/Armalite%20MB%20removal.pdf

I found it.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:37:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:34:24 PM EDT
[#9]
My removal was successful. I didn't care what the brake looked like, so mine looked much worse than those on the link above, but I did not bugger one single thread. I could not tell where the pin was, there was very little color difference. I used a 90 degree die grinder with a cut off wheel to mill down the pin area. When I could barely see the pin, I hit it with a center punch. That clearly defined the edges. When I had machined enough off the opposite side, I hit the pin with a punch again. It then popped out. The pin was made from oxy-actelene welding rod. I put the barrel in a vice and put a screwdriver through the brake and then whacked it with my hand. I threaded off nicely. Phantom will be in soon......I hope.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:48:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I just machined all the way through my pin.  Did not mess up one thread!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top