Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2005 9:13:34 AM EDT
Ok, I own a 1998 Chrysler Town and Country with the 3.3. I bought it used for $7000 a few years ago. I previously oened a 1993 Plym outh Voyager and it served me well. Of course Toyota or Honda were my first choices in a van for my GF but I wanted to keep it below $10k and figured I am pretty familiar with the T&C/Voyager,Caravan model and can do lots of maintenance myself.

Anyway it did something weird the other day. When going into reverse it jolted , as my GF backed up it stuttered and stopped. Not the engine but I think it was the axle. I went out and looked at it, put it in fwd and it did the same thing. It seemed like something was holding the left side axle. It didnt compoletey grab it and she put it back into reverse and it was fine. The CV boots all look good, nothign is leaking. I changed the tranny filter and fluid and there wasnt a huge build up of metal shavings in it or on the magnet.

The van has traction control which I leave off.

Now as she drives there is a slight creaking sound that seems to match the rotation of the wheel. You can hear it with the windows down , especially in the parking garage where she works. As she slows so does the sound. I raised the van and spun the tires manually and I couldnt  reproduce the sound.

Its more of a light tick, then a creaking sound. Any idea WTH its doing? Lubrication? CV Joint?

Any info is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:48:56 AM EDT
[#1]
See if it is worse in a turn. Try it in both directions. If the creaks turn into pops, it is probably the cv joint. Becareful, depending on the surface you are testing on, the tires may make a poping noise as well.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:51:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Soon you'll be replacing a CV joint.

It's front-wheel drive, right?

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:52:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

+1.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:08:44 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

'
I am figuring to go ahead and do it anyway. Certainly cant hurt. I did them on my Voyager and it was a PITA. Sure beats paying someone else a few hundred though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top