Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2011 5:10:06 PM EDT
If the only info on a 4473 is a name and the serial # of a black powder pistol (don't even ask) does it still need to be retained for 20 years? Can it be destroyed? Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:17:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I didn't think black powder needed a 4473?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#2]
A black powder pistol is not a "firearm" per federal law, and should not be on a 4473.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:02:20 PM EDT
[#3]
The place where I work, which shall remain nameless, told us a few weeks ago to "start" a 4473 but they would not call NICS. I sold a BP pistol today and when I took the form to our guy that calls NICS I was told we didn't do that anymore. At that time the 4473 only had a name and a phone #. Would it still need to be retained?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Is there an NTN on it?

ETA: Never mind, just saw that NICS was never called so obviously there's no NTN.  I'd shred it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:18:43 PM EDT
[#5]
While it might not be needed I would personally keep it.  I'd rather have too much paperwork than not enough.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The place where I work, which shall remain nameless, told us a few weeks ago to "start" a 4473 but they would not call NICS. I sold a BP pistol today and when I took the form to our guy that calls NICS I was told we didn't do that anymore. At that time the 4473 only had a name and a phone #. Would it still need to be retained?

Sounds like your FFL is using the 4473 as a personal gun point of sale form.

I think that is a bad idea.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:56:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree with the poster above that it does not sound like a good idea, if indeed your employer is using that personal way to track sales.  Seems like that could lead to trouble but I am not an FFL, so what do I know?

Most of your customers might not know the difference, but If someone tried to make me fill out a 4473 on a black powder pistol I'd probably walk out the door as a protest to the ignorance.  Good grief man, you can mail order the damn things straight to your house.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:13:40 PM EDT
[#8]
The policy was only in effect for a couple of weeks but it did cost some BP sales. Thanks for the input.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top