Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/5/2002 8:26:20 AM EDT
The United States Bicentennial
The year of the dragon
The year I was born
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 8:29:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I missed being born on the 4th of July by a few hours.

I have never been on time since.

Av.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 8:39:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm, year I started LSU Law School!

Good Lord, Ponyboy, I own assault rifles [b]older[/b] than you!

So, are you an SP1 model or an A1 model?

Eric The(Dated)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 8:40:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey, that's the year I was born too!  :)

Link Posted: 2/5/2002 8:41:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The year of the dragon
The year I was born
View Quote

The year I got my driver's license...[IMG]http://www.duhspot.com/users/smiley/s/contrib/aahmed/sad.gif[/IMG]
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 8:42:41 AM EDT
[#5]
1976 - The year I drank my first beer, smoked my first cigarrette, smoked my first (insert illicit substance here), went to my first rock concert.

By 1977 I had quit all the smoking related stuff. Still drink a beer now and then and go to concerts.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 9:00:26 AM EDT
[#6]
The year of the cool bicentennial quarters.  
The year I first saw the Harrier fly at Andrews open house.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 9:10:54 AM EDT
[#7]
The year I graduated from Arizona State University and moved to Houston.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 9:55:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The year of the dragon
The year I was born
View Quote

The year I got my driver's license...[IMG]http://www.duhspot.com/users/smiley/s/contrib/aahmed/sad.gif[/IMG]
View Quote

Same here. [beer]
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 9:58:57 AM EDT
[#9]
1976 - the hear I learned I had cancer....as you can see I survived [:D]
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#10]
1976: the title of a pro-gun rock song (yes, there are such things...once in a blue moon) on the album, "Good Singin, Good Playin' " by Grand Funk, released in 1976 (go figure). Sample lyric: "Don't let them take your guns away/ In 1976!"
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 10:04:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I got divorces older than you !
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 12:04:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
1976: the title of a pro-gun rock song (yes, there are such things...once in a blue moon) on the album, "Good Singin, Good Playin' " by Grand Funk, released in 1976 (go figure). Sample lyric: "Don't let them take your guns away/ In 1976!"
View Quote

No kidding?  I'll have to check it out.

That puts another entry into the whole Simpson's gun controversey, as Grand Funk Railroad is Homer's favorite band...
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 12:08:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
1976 - The year I drank my first beer, smoked my first cigarrette, smoked my first (insert illicit substance here), went to my first rock concert.
View Quote

Check. Check. Check. Check. Hey... are you me?

'course... I did all that in the same night [:D]

Followed by my first puking-hangover.

Link Posted: 2/5/2002 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I was 1 year old that year.  How old are some of you guys?
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 12:32:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I was only a glimmer in my parents eyes. My mom just graduated high school, and my dad just got his masters.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 12:36:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That puts another entry into the whole Simpson's gun controversey, as Grand Funk Railroad is Homer's favorite band...
View Quote

And as we all know,

"grand funk railroad paved the way for Jefferson Starship. And then the stage was set for The Alan Parson's project. Which I believe was some type of hovercraft"-Homer
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 8:08:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The year of the dragon
The year I was born
View Quote

The year I was conceived.  [:)]
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 8:12:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I was 5 years old and enyoying playing with my Tonka toys.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 8:37:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Oh man! To be 17 again, driving my 67 Chevy Impala, be a Junior in high school, and to know then what I know now.  [thinking] [;)]
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 8:44:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The year of the dragon
The year I was born
View Quote

Ditto.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 8:45:57 PM EDT
[#22]
[b]2027[/b]
Come back and tell me what you think then... [;)]
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 9:21:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I was 7. This was the second year in a row that "santa" screwed me out of a .22. Got a Vivitar camera though.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 9:25:57 PM EDT
[#25]
1976 - The year my trusty Ruger Super Six convertible was made.  On the barrel is inscribed, "Made in the 200th year of American Liberty".  When I think of that inscription I wonder what went wrong in Tom Daschle's upbringing...
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 9:26:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I was 3. Boy how I wish I could start all over!!!
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 9:54:47 PM EDT
[#27]
... I remember it well.

... Graduated from high school. Kissed my five-year-girlfriend goodbye and split town. Two friends and myself saved up and bought motorcycles to ride across the USA all the way to Maine.
Pulled onto the banks of the Potomac to watch the first of its kind at the time laser show out the top of the Washington Monument on the the of July 1976.

... Whew, what a year, what memories of womenz, beer and learning all about life.

... Only one minor accident and I lost my eyeglasses running into the Atlantic overly enthusiastic about being there. We made it home broke, tired and about 20 .lbs lighter then we left.

... I think I slept for a week after I got home.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 10:12:33 PM EDT
[#28]
A good year........
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 11:22:41 PM EDT
[#29]
1976, I turned 16,

holding hands with my first real girlfriend (she is still a real sweetheart),

My first car, my parents giving me the old family station wagon (grey 1964 Plymouth, push button trannie, V-8 318) hehe, everyone thought that the waggon was a nerd mobile till they found out that the seats folded and there was PLENTY of room in the back,

On a high school marching band summer tour (this one time, at band camp) taking a 13 state tour of the east coast, performing in a parade in DC in front of the White House for then VP Rockefeller, spending the 4th of July on the capitol mall watching the fireworks, getting to see the White House, Philly and the Liberty Bell, The Constitution, Freedom Hall, saying the Pledge of Allegiance with President Ford,

Getting my first real job (after delivering news papers for 5 years) working for my buddy's dad after school at his air conditioning / sheet metal shop, working for next to nothing to help pay for my Yamaha DT 175 dirtbike,

My first heartbreak when my first girlfriend left me for an "older guy",

My dad giving me his Sears Robuck 30-06, (I let him "borrow" it and it was stolen from his car when he stopped to eat dinner on the way back from Nevada),

Discovering that there was much more to do at the beaches in SoCal other than ride rafts and inner tubes in the waves,

Going to the beach to go "Grunion Running" and never catching anything......

The cute 15 year old blue eyed blonde haired freckel faced girl up in Big Bear who drove her dad's 46 Willy's Jeep past my parents cabin over and over and over during the Labor Day weekend untill I "noticed" her, then spending the rest of the weekend with her driving around in that jeep,

Going back to HS as a junior and finding the weight room (gained 30 lbs between the start of the school year and Easter break), getting bigger (not taller though, darn genes) and stronger,

Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, David Bowie, Foreginer, Heart, Santana, ELO, Queen, Led Zepplin, Boston, Stevie Wonder, The Stones, The Who, Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, Van Morrison, Pink Floyd, Lynard Skynard, Peter Frampton, Carole King, Flo and Eddie, Frank Zappa, Blue Oyster Cult, The Steve Miller Band, Genesis,
Oh yea, FUCK PUNK!

Long Hair to the middle of my back!

Living at home with my totaly cool parents (who are still married to each other after 42 years), having my own room (my little bros were so glad when I was kicked out...err moved out of the house), and my mom really liking my first girlfriend (to the point where she still talks to her a couple of times a year to this day),

"Son, we are going to visit your Grandmother for a week, since you are working we trust you to stay at home by yourself and take care of the place"
I had a nice little party with a few of my friends, we had a little BBQ and some beers, the house didn't get trashed.

I think 1976 was a pretty good year for me.

Link Posted: 2/5/2002 11:44:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Graduated highschool. Not a clue as to what I should do with my life.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 1:13:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I was 1 year old that year.  How old are some of you guys?
View Quote

me too
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 1:40:13 AM EDT
[#32]
1976:

16 - Clueless

Left my birthplace in Panama Canal Zone, due to Dad retiring.  First time ever seeing snow.

Lotsa nice 16 year old girlfriends.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 4:10:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Voting in my first presidential election.

Working at a service station all summer to make enough money to go back to college.

Finding how fast a 75 Camaro would run and living to talk about it.

Learning that I'm really not built to ride bulls and giving up a rodeo career that never should have started.[:D]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 4:41:52 AM EDT
[#34]
My first car,  1976 Merc Montego.....  bench seats (front and back), very cute teen girlfriends.....  uh-oh! Mid-life crisis!  Gotta go buy a motorcycle....
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 4:55:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 5:23:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 6:28:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Freshman year in high school.  Got my eagle in boy scouts.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 6:38:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Turned 16, got my first job, bought a '73 Hemi 'Cuda, and enjoyed some of the other finest products of the early '70's (thanks Trish [:P]).
View Quote

Aw shit man, not a "Hemi Cuda."

envy
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 6:40:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I got divorces older than you !
View Quote

5subslr5, I felt old until I read that! That's the year I got married (still working on the divorce). [;D]
View Quote

WILSON,
hang in there on the divorce.

Good divorces, like fine wine, take time to develop and mature !
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 6:55:38 AM EDT
[#40]
1976 I was four years old.  I can't say any of the memories I have of that age are from 4 but MY erectorset must been going full blast by then.   LIFE IS PRETTY HARD RIGHT NOW SO THINKING BACK MAKES ME WANT TO CRY.. jimmini......

Benjamin

I am doing fine fiancially. But I am about tostart a new company and I am about to loose my girlfriend.  I HAVE NO DEBT ,  I don't want to start this new company I want to start A different one , but this one will make money and its something I know how to do but its just not any fun.  The other one on the otherhand is excactly what I would like to do, It WON'T make any money at least up front, and I would feel like I am not taking care of the people who need to be taken care of if I do it. HOWS THAT FOR A PHUCKING PROBLEM...

Benjamin

Link Posted: 2/6/2002 7:18:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I don't want to start this new company I want to start A different one , but this one will make money and its something I know how to do but its just not any fun.  HOWS THAT FOR A PHUCKING PROBLEM...

Benjamin

View Quote

As a "starter of businesses" my self you've made the right decision.  Make money, find a new girlfriend and later on fund the business that you would really like to start.

(I've just moved from Edmond to North OKC)
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 8:22:43 AM EDT
[#42]
I know thats life.   SO many of us rarely get to do what we want to do.  Oh well, Life goes on.  

Benjamin

Link Posted: 2/6/2002 8:46:58 AM EDT
[#43]
1976......I was 23, living in Leadville with hubby and 2 and 4 year old sons. We all had long blond hair, and bright fearless eyes. I started a small shop, owned a wolf cross dog, and brought said kids and dog to work with me every day. Did I mention it was a smoking supplies shop? [;)]

It was a very mild winter that year in the High Country, barely any snow, but cold enough that the permafrost froze our drain lines out of the house. Suddenly it was a terribly vintage lifestyle, if you get my drift.

Drove over to Aspen for the Bicentennial fireworks that summer, drank a bit, (something I rarely did), and had to ask husband to stop 3 times on Independence Pass to throw up on the way home.
Vowed to never have 2 double shots of Wild Turkey on an empty stomach again.

We wore blue mirrored glacier glasses, fluffy down parkas, bell-bottomed Levis, and huge clunky Kletter boots.
We went "Back to the Land", in a small mountain town, searching for a safe haven to raise our little boys. It was a simpler time, we were young and immortal, and thought we would never get old.

Link Posted: 2/6/2002 10:19:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
1976......I was 23, living in Leadville with hubby and 2 and 4 year old sons. We all had long blond hair, and bright fearless eyes. I started a small shop, owned a wolf cross dog, and brought said kids and dog to work with me every day. Did I mention it was a smoking supplies shop? [;)]

View Quote

Would that be Hookhas, bongs, rolling papers, roach clips - those types of smoking supplies.  AKA head shop.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#45]
But of course, this was the era for that. And in a small, isolated, overpaid mining town like Leadville, smoking was a hobby for many folks.
I later worked ambulance in this town, and a full 90% of our calls to violence or car accidents were alcohol related, not smoke related.
Smoking seemed to make them gentle, alcohol seemed to make them dangerous.
Long ago and far away however, times have changed immensely.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 10:59:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Long ago and far away however, times have changed immensely.
View Quote

True, unfortunately.  Or is that just middle-aged nostalgia kicking in.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 11:18:47 AM EDT
[#47]
On an aircraft carrier somewhere south of the Gulf
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 11:20:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Wow! 1976.

We are a varied bunch, are we not?

In 1976 I was already 6 years into my career as a cop on a large urban police department.

July 4th was a no leave day, everybody worked, most on the 3-11 shift, but it was fun day, good crowds - nice to be an American.

Did my twenty and pulled the pin, at 50%. Never looked back.

Bumed around on my sailboat for a few years, from Maine to the Bahamas, got married for the first time. Still married, and I am sure glad I never married as a cop.

Started a successful small manufacturing company, now with 5 full time employees. We manufacture cnc controls and equipment.

Been retired from the dept. for 12 years now, can’t hardly believe it. Don’t even think about it anymore.

Funny, you spend 20 years in one job and it seems like it’s your life. But in reality, it’s only a part.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 11:32:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Back from VietNam, back from Guam, still flying BUFs, occasionally a week in Minot (Why not?) ND.  

About in the middle of an eight year relationship.  I'm still not sure if she dumped me or I dumped her.  That's probably a good thing.

Rome NY had torn down half the town to rebuild a Revolutionary War fort.  They wouldn't finish it until 1979 so they missed the big wave of tourists they were expecting to pay for it.  Silly bureaucrats.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 11:33:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I wasn't born until the following year [:)]
View Quote

Ditto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top