Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/7/2006 4:39:30 PM EDT
Anybody use 10 Codes?

If you do what does that mean to you (1070)

Just wondering cause we went over some at an Explorer meeting (Test night).

You dont have to go into detail if you dont want to (security reasons).

Only thing I don't like about them is different departments have different meanings which I think would cause some confusion.

While we were do a scenario they wanted to try and confuse us by just rambling different codes and radio #'s etc. and lets just say it was confusing as hell...

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:05:31 PM EDT
I have never heard 10-70 used

With that being said, google can be useful
Looks like some departments use it to signfy a fire
FDNY uses it to signfy water truck needed at ______

Stopped looking after a couple of sites, there were numerous hits
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:06:33 PM EDT
My department use to use some, I don't believe 1070 was one of them. The Department of Homeland Security has determined that 10 codes are too confusing, since there were so many different varyations, and they have asked that all deprments stop using them. We are using plain language now with some signals for sensative calls.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:08:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MPD165:
My department use to use some, I don't believe 1070 was one of them. The Department of Homeland Security has determined that 10 codes are too confusing, since there were so many different varyations, and they have asked that all deprments stop using them. We are using plain language now with some signals for sensative calls.

Thats what im saying I think they are confusing.

10-70 for us is Hostage situation.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:16:17 PM EDT
I work in a boarder town with New Hampshire. In speaking with officers from other states I have found more codes similar to VT than NH.

I have not used 10-70 before. There are some people in my department who live for the 10 codes.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:18:38 PM EDT
here it's a structure fire.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:25:44 PM EDT
Confusion is any situation can be distracting. Try qualifying with your lights, siren and radio going. You learn to thrive in the enviroment and focus. This makes for more intense training and trains you to survive. Cudos to your department for doing this. Does your department have a ride out program? I was an explorer for 8 years and was able to ride out on all shifts on any day.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:37:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sam3:
here it's a structure fire.

Same in Indiana....
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:43:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MPD165:
Confusion is any situation can be distracting. Try qualifying with your lights, siren and radio going. You learn to thrive in the enviroment and focus. This makes for more intense training and trains you to survive. Cudos to your department for doing this. Does your department have a ride out program? I was an explorer for 8 years and was able to ride out on all shifts on any day.

Yeah we do have a ridealong program (which can't do yet) that allows you to ride with officers. It is very interesting and I cant wait to start.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:48:58 PM EDT
First day out the officer I was riding with got into a pursuit, I was hooked.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:16:37 PM EDT
We don't use 10-70 here.

The 10 codes we have our cadets (our version of explorer) learn right away are:
Recieving poorly, okay, meet with, busy, repeat, visitors present?, in custody, location, phone call, cancel, standby, registration check, warrant check, DL check, person's residence, intoxicated subject, arrived on scene, and finished assignment.

There are some Adam (disposition) and incident codes we want them to know too.

Learn your phonetic alphabet. The way I learned it was to simulate running personalized plates as I drove around in my PV (helped with my radio in general too).

Ride, ride, ride, ride. Go as often as you can. When I was a cadet I tried to get out for regular patrol once a month minimum, and I'm doing my best to keep that up as a Reserve as well as work any events I can. The more you work, generally, the better you get.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:42:31 PM EDT
calling for a wrecker here.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:43:47 PM EDT
10-70 is a fire here in Indiana. I thinks its a lot better to forget the 10 codes and just say what you have to say though so evereyone can understand though.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:21:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/8/2006 6:37:23 AM EDT by highdraglowspeed]
We don't have a 10-70 code where I am.

I was in a class with a NYPD guy last wk and he mentioned a code for a dead person. We use the same code for a car stop here. It was worth a good laugh.

Actually the 10-codes are great in that they preseve air time for when someone might need it.

Example 1. This is (insert beat number here) and I'll be available for calls.
10 code version. ( Beat number) 10-8

Example 2.
I've searched the whole area and can't find those darn robot aliens that the calling party told us were in the alley way.
10-code version = (beat number)I'm 10-77 in the area.

It is my understanding that FEMA has backed down on their stance of getting rid of 10-codes. I believe they announced this at the IACP meeting. 10-codes stay. They did finally figure out that people were smart enough to figure out how to communicate.

You will use more common language when you are working with an outside agency such as FEMA etal. Such as there's a power line across the road just east of XYZ and ABC intersection.

If you have a real interest in this, get a scanner instead of the x-box 360. Good advice about the phonetic alphabet in above post.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:28:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By highdraglowspeed:
We don't have a 10-70 code where I am.

I was in a class with a NYPD guy last wk and he mentioned a code for a dead person. We use the same code for a car stop here. It was worth a good laugh.

Actually the 10-codes are great in that they preseve air time for when someone might need it.

Example 1. This is (insert beat number here) and I'll be available for calls.
10 code version. ( Beat number) 10-8

Example 2.
I've searched the whole area and can't find those darn robot aliens that the calling party told us were in the alley way.
10-code version = (beat number)I'm 10-77 in the area.

It is my understanding that FEMA has backed down on their stance of getting rid of 10-codes. I believe they announced this at the IACP meeting. 10-codes stay. They did finally figure out that people were smart enough to figure out how to communicate.

You will use more common language when you are working with an outside agency such as FEMA etal. Such as there's a power line across the road just east of XYZ and ABC intersection.

If you have a real interest in this, get a scanner instead of the x-box 360. Good advice about the phonetic alphabet in above post.

10-8 here is "In Service" (looks to be that same there)

I would buy a scanner but the department has new radios that switch channels so I think a scaner would be pointless (Correct me if Im wrong)
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:51:18 PM EDT
Here 10-70 is a fire.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:48:03 PM EDT
10-70 is a foot pursuit for my agency.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:08:48 AM EDT
[
I would buy a scanner but the department has new radios that switch channels so I think a scaner would be pointless (Correct me if Im wrong)

You might ask one of the local guys in your explorer program if they know of an affordable scanner that would let you listen in.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:37:22 AM EDT
Fire
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:20:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By faethor:
Fire

Afirmative for TPD
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:02:30 PM EDT
medics needed...
Top Top