2. How to Change Your Default Editor

3. Posting Pictures on Arfcom

4. Posting Links on Arfcom

5. Posting Videos/Audio On Arfcom

6. How to Create Polls

Post II

1. Forum Code Chart

1. Introduction
I felt this deserved a thread separate from the Arfcom 101 thread. However I do not object to the content of this thread being quoted within the Arfcom 101 thread.
This is to be a tutorial and reference guide for all users, and to avoid more "How do I hotlink/post pictures" threads and responses, I vote to keep this thread easily accessible.
Please note that for this tutorial I will be thorough, explaining each step to the fullest of my capabilities. These actions are not in any way difficult, but I am trying to eliminate any possible confusion.
Within this tutorial, I will show you how to post links, pictures, flash videos, etc. on Arfcom.
There are two separate ways to do all of this, depending on which editor you are using.
There are two separate editors: WYSIWYG editor or the Plain Editor (classic style).
The WYSIWYG editor is more sophisticated, allowing formatting, tables, flash video, spoilers, and a slew of other tools. The Plain editor is for those resistant to change, or who have had some formatting errors with the WYSIWYG editor.
The WYSIWYG stands for "What you see is what you get." Generally speaking, within the reply or topic post box, you will be able to see text size changes, tables, etc. before posting instead of simply looking at forum coding.
This editor has a more complete and sophisticated array of tools (buttons up top) than the plain editor. For instance, when users embed a flash video (such as a youtube video), the box will appear within the post as opposed to simply the code for the video (more on flash later).
The WYSIWYG editor, however, still allows users to implant code within their post. Both will integrate fine. I will be using both to create this post, and will demonstrate how to do so.
The Plain Editor (classic style) is the old editor (before the recent site revamp), and in such users will only be able to see the coding. However, it is simpler, and preferred by many who don't need/use the buttons.

2. How to change your default editor

First, you will click on your username at the very top left of your screen.
Mine looks like this:

This brings up the profile tool, which allows you to customize your information, signature, upload avatar, etc. More on this later.
From there, you will click on the Change Preferences button.
This will bring up a window to the right, which should look something like this:

As you can see, you can change the editor using the Editor Default: drop-down menu.
After doing so, simply hit submit.
I will tailor this tutorial mostly to the WYSIWYG editor, as this is what most people will be using. Those using the classic editor most likely already know how to do this stuff.
Now that that's out of the way, let's move on to posting.

3. Posting Pictures on Arfcom

You are not able to post a picture straight from your computer.
If you are reading this tutorial, I am going to assume that you do not have server space.
Thus, if you want to post an image that resides on your hard-drive, you must use an image hosting site such as Photobucket.
Photobucket is quick and easy to operate. Here's how:
Go to http://www.photobucket.com/ and set up an account.
Once you are all set up, click on the gray "albums & upload" tab at the top left if you are not already there.
You will see a "Upload images & video" window in the middle of your screen, and below that will be pictures/videos you have uploaded. The window will look like this:

The next steps are explained by photobucket and are easy to figure out. Just verify that "From: My Computer" is selected, and click the large blue "Upload" button. Browse for the file and upload.
You may choose to add tags for yourself to the file, etc.
Once uploaded, it will show up in your album.
When you move your mouse pointer over the picture in the album, it will drop down more information. It should look something like this:

Note that there are four boxes.
Remember that I said there are two ways to upload images? I will explain both now.
First, the code method.
The code to post images will look like this:

(Note that for these I have had to use images. Even when using the code box, the site will interpret the code)
The tags at the front, within the brackets, allow the editor to understand that you are posting an image. This is similar to HTML. Open a statement with [xxx] and end it with [/xxx]. Capitalization does not matter.
If you'll notice from the above image, I have copied the IMG code box from photobucket (if you click on the code, it will automatically be copied). You can simply insert this code into your post and the image will appear when you submit.
Second Method (easier for newer users):
Instead of clicking on the IMG Code box, click on the Direct Link box. This is the URL of the specific picture.
Then, within your editor, click on the highlighted button, shown below (the painting, next to the media button):

Doing so will bring up this window:

All that is really necessary is the source box, though the others will give you more flexibility when posting pictures. Put the URL in the source box, and click submit. With the WYSIWYG editor, it should appear within the editor.
If the picture is already hosted on another website, this is even easier.
Right click on the image and select "Copy Image Location." This will copy the URL off the image. Then simply put that URL between the image tags shown above, or in the source box of the image tool. Done.
4. Posting Links on Arfcom

Click the button on the toolbar that looks like a chain, shown highlighted below:

This will allow you to hyperlink/hotlink to other pages.
When you click the button, the following window will pop up:

Select http:// and put in the URL.
Click insert, and then click OK.
I prefer to use code, as I find it quicker and easier.
This is a link to General Discussion:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=1&f=5
Here is the code used to create that link:

As with the IMG tags, the URL tags start and finish the command.
You may also link to a page, but have the hyperlink show separate text. For instance:
This is the same link to GD, but with text
Here is the code to do so:

Notice the difference. When doing a link like these, instead of closing the brackets after url, put an = and then the link. Close the brackets after the link. Then, between that and the end of the command (the /url), type whatever you'd like the link to say.
This is handy when doing something like this:
I was cruising around GD, eating a chocolate chip cookie...

Here is the code for the above:

5. Posting Videos/Audio on Arfcom

This is very simple to do, but still few people understand how.
Chances are, you will be posting a video from youtube. In this case, you will need to locate the video's URL.
To do this, go to the youtube page that houses the video.
I will use This video for demonstrative purposes.
On the youtube page, right side, notice these two boxes:

The top box is the URL to the video. You will need to copy this. You may also copy the URL in the address bar up top, but this one won't have the feature=related stuff if that bugs you (it does for me, not sure why).
Notice on the box below, how it shows the width as 425 and the height as 344? Most youtube videos (unless they're HD) will use this height and width.
Now that you have the URL, go back to the Arfcom editor.
Click on the Flash button. NOT the Media button. This is for applications that almost no-one uses (see below). If you link to a youtube video with this option, it will work, but it will look like shit.

Doing so will pop up the following window:

Notice how I had pasted the URL within the Source field.
I have also changed the Height of the video to 344. This is not essential, but it has the possibility of making it look better, and little things like this bug me. Thus, I do this for all youtube videos
Click OK, and you will see this:

The video won't show up nor play within the editor, but will once the post is submitted.
Flash videos are one of the only reasons I personally use the WYSIWYG editor, as I prefer coding normally. There is no button on the Plain Editor for flash. Using the button in this application is much easier than actually using the code, which is:

For a different video, just change the source URL between the apostrophes. I have it underlined here merely for demonstration
When you submit your post, you will the video:

One more thing about the flash button! In the WYSIWYG editor, after inserting a video, if you want your following lines of text to be underneath the video instead of next to it, you will have to put a bunch of return-lines (press enter a bunch of times).

To get the text of this paragraph in this position, I hit return 28 times. Yes, 28! 27 times will place the text directly underneath the video.

If you quote someone who did this, be sure to erase all of those lines since it will only quote the URL of the video instead of the embedded video

The Media Button
The "Media" button (directly next to the flash button) is used for videos and audio files, such as *.WMV, *.mp3, etc as opposed to the flash video files like youtube videos, liveleak videos, etc.

If you know the direct url to the video/audio file, you can use the Media player button to play it. Sometimes it seems a bit finicky.
For example, I want to post an mp3 that isn't hosted on youtube, and I have the url for the file.

I would click on the media button, and enter the URL on the top line.

The other controls are self-explanatory. For audio they aren't really necessary.

The url is: http://www.m4a3.com/voxbellum/Smetana-loop4x.mp3

Notice how the URL ends in .mp3! The address points DIRECTLY to the file, and not a webpage on which the file is displayed or embedded.

I simply paste that URL in the top box and click ok. Here is the result:

6. How To Create Polls

Creating polls is extremely simple.
You MUST make and submit a new topic before you can make a poll.
Polls are added similar to edits.
1. Make and submit your topic
2. Now, at the top right of the opening post, you will see:

Click on the Add Poll button.
The rest is extremely self explanatory. The top bar is the poll heading/subject.
The following bars are the poll options.
At the bottom, there is a checkbox to allow users to select multiple poll options.
Once you're finished, click submit.
Polls can not be modified after being submitting. The opening post can be edited like usual.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you'd like to simply view the results of a poll, click the VOTE button without selecting any options.
This will show the results WITHOUT skewing the bar-graph

Link Posted: 5/21/2009 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 5/21/2009 6:41:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Did it work?

Link Posted: 5/21/2009 6:43:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 6:44:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Did it work?

Link Posted: 5/21/2009 6:44:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did it work?

My post, i was testing.

Link Posted: 5/21/2009 6:46:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I need some suggestions on what else to do.

I plan on adding some stuff about menus, profile stuff, maybe some formatting stuff, maybe tables.

Things such as "Why can't I search GD?" should go in the Arfcom 101 thread

Link Posted: 5/21/2009 6:46:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

My post, i was testing.

Congrats––you must be a quick reader

Link Posted: 5/21/2009 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#9]
tag for post count and reference
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 6:51:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Tack it!!
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice work, looking forward to seeing what else you come up with.
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I just glanced through and didn't see it, but screen capture and how to post them is something I needed to know earlier tonight...
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 8:57:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I just glanced through and didn't see it, but screen capture and how to post them is something I needed to know earlier tonight...

You would use the same process as posting a picture, add one step. Hit the print screen key on the keyboard, and that will take a "snapshot" of your entire screen and save it to the clipboard (just like you were copying a picture).

Open up photoshop or other photo-editing program. If you don't have one, open up MS paint and click edit -> paste (or hit Ctrl + V).

Then use the program to crop out what you want to keep, and save the file as a .jpg, .gif, or .png file.

Upload to photobucket as described again and continue that set of directions

Link Posted: 5/21/2009 9:00:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Great work good sir!
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 9:01:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Now I'll try to embed videos.
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks, the one thing that drives me nuts are the Firemissions that have inactive links in the OP...
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 9:04:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks, the one thing that drives me nuts are the Firemissions that have inactive links in the OP...

Those are cold links on purpose. Its so they cant track where the clicks are coming from and shut the poll down for being "weighted" in our favor.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Bump for suggestions
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#19]
tagged for future postage
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 2:16:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Kap, don't you have schoolwork to be doing??
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:44:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Section I-6. How to Create Polls added.

Please heed the important note at the bottom.

Link Posted: 6/30/2009 1:38:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Does anyone know how to default to high quality with embedded youtube videos on arfcom?

You can use &fmt=18 with links, but not embedding.

Appending &ap=%2526fmt%3D18, which is how you embed HQ in the HTML code, doesn't seem to work.

Link Posted: 6/30/2009 1:44:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Can you repeat that please?
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#24]
This is how i post.

Link Posted: 6/30/2009 2:27:41 PM EDT
[#25]
cliff's notes?
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 2:30:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

cliff's notes?

Sections marked in big bold print and big pictures not doing it for you?

Link Posted: 7/22/2009 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Does anyone know how to default to high quality with embedded youtube videos on arfcom?

You can use &fmt=18 with links, but not embedding.

Appending &ap=%2526fmt%3D18, which is how you embed HQ in the HTML code, doesn't seem to work.

Bump for answer

Link Posted: 7/22/2009 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#28]
tinypic is better than photobucket
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 9:36:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

tinypic is better than photobucket

Noted. I host my own, so I don't use either

Link Posted: 7/22/2009 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#30]
This should be stickied
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 9:42:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Can you guys see my post?
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 9:48:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Nice

Link Posted: 7/22/2009 9:48:13 PM EDT
[#33]

amidoinitrite?
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 9:50:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

linkification add-on for firefox makes all cold links hot and can't be tracked back like hotlinks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 9:57:11 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Can you guys see my post?

I could, but now I've ignored you

Link Posted: 7/22/2009 9:57:24 PM EDT
[#36]

nice one

I am still looking for suggestions on what else to add

Link Posted: 7/22/2009 9:58:13 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

linkification add-on for firefox makes all cold links hot and can't be tracked back like hotlinks.

Really? I use linkification, but I wasn't aware of that.

How would it be different than clicking a hotlink? A pseudo-proxy or something?

Link Posted: 7/22/2009 9:59:42 PM EDT
[#38]
This should be tacked for 6 months.

Good job.

HH
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 10:04:33 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Good job.

HH

Thanks, I sent a request to DK for a tack.

I'm so tired of STILL seeing people ask how to post pictures/embed videos

Link Posted: 7/22/2009 10:04:33 PM EDT
[#40]
How to post on ARFCOM:

1. Find random post
2. Click reply
3. Insert one of the following:
- tag
- IBTL
- Cool Story Bro!
- Eject
4. Click submit
5. Repeat until post count is at least 10,000

Link Posted: 7/23/2009 8:01:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Really? I use linkification, but I wasn't aware of that.
How would it be different than clicking a hotlink? A pseudo-proxy or something?

I'm pretty sure it just copy-pastes the link into a new tab
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 8:04:03 AM EDT
[#42]
You left out the most important part:

Ignore Feature

Link Posted: 7/23/2009 8:20:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This is how i post.

http://i44.tinypic.com/o054w7.jpg

Why not go ahead and put 5 stars on your helmet

Link Posted: 7/23/2009 8:25:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Good job.

HH

Link Posted: 7/23/2009 8:33:05 AM EDT
[#45]
cliff notes please
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 8:44:37 AM EDT
[#46]
In favor of tack. I still didnt know how to do some of that stuff, thanks!
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 8:49:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Awesome post. I 2nd the tacking of it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 9:12:45 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

nice one

I am still looking for suggestions on what else to add

My personal 'issue' is with people posting quotes without using the "Quote  /Quote" feature, so its hard to figure out what the poster was saying along with the article quoted.

Link Posted: 7/23/2009 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Good job.

HH

uhhh , nope..................permanent tack.

New folks join every day ,it should be at the top of GD and GFD right under the tacked rules.

Very nice work Kappy !
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 7:52:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top