Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
11/10/2004 4:31:11 PM EDT
I need to know the average weight of a loaded 30 round AR magazine.  I have NO way of weighing one right now.

I am flying Delta and according to them I can have 11 pounds of ammunition and a magazine is an approved container to pack them in.

11/10/2004 4:38:12 PM EDT
[#1]
5.56 xm193 ball 55gr
30 rounds only 120z
30 rounds with mag 15oz exactly.
Just scaled a 30 round mag

GM

ETA to say cool, I really never gave it a thought before. about 1lb per mag
11/11/2004 3:48:47 AM EDT
[#2]
THANKS!!
11/11/2004 3:53:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I need to know the average weight of a loaded 30 round AR magazine.  I have NO way of weighing one right now.

I am flying Delta and according to them I can have 11 pounds of ammunition and a magazine is an approved container to pack them in.




I don't think you should have loaded magazines.  

11/11/2004 4:13:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I think you should carry on the plane... with a SPARE loaded magazine. (Never know when someone unruley passenger will pull out a box cutter and need a shot to the head!)
11/11/2004 4:17:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I need to know the average weight of a loaded 30 round AR magazine.  I have NO way of weighing one right now.

I am flying Delta and according to them I can have 11 pounds of ammunition and a magazine is an approved container to pack them in.




I don't think you should have loaded magazines.  




...securely packed in fiber, wood or metal boxes.  I have flown with loaded magazines many, many times...just never in the quantity I am going to take this time.  Loaded magazines are just as, if not more, secure than a factory box.
11/11/2004 4:19:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I think you should carry on the plane... with a SPARE loaded magazine. (Never know when someone unruley passenger will pull out a box cutter and need a shot to the head!)



The sad truth is that just one gun in the hands of a passenger or crewmember on each hijacked plane on 9/11 could have stopped the attacks...JUST...ONE...GUN...something to think about...
11/11/2004 5:51:38 AM EDT
[#7]
We were told in the Corps they wieghed 1 pound loaded. 15 oz. would be close enough.  Good idea , BTW. Take care andpost pics of the shoot.
11/11/2004 5:58:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
We were told in the Corps they wieghed 1 pound loaded. 15 oz. would be close enough.  Good idea , BTW. Take care andpost pics of the shoot.



I am going to Missouri for deer season and taking along a few of the toys to let others play with.  I will be posting pics when I return.
11/11/2004 7:27:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I need to know the average weight of a loaded 30 round AR magazine.  I have NO way of weighing one right now.

I am flying Delta and according to them I can have 11 pounds of ammunition and a magazine is an approved container to pack them in.




I don't think you should have loaded magazines.  




...securely packed in fiber, wood or metal boxes.  I have flown with loaded magazines many, many times...just never in the quantity I am going to take this time.  Loaded magazines are just as, if not more, secure than a factory box.



Yea but those fools at the airport won't think so.  

Good luck and good hunt on your trip.

Post pics.
11/11/2004 7:51:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I need to know the average weight of a loaded 30 round AR magazine.  I have NO way of weighing one right now.

I am flying Delta and according to them I can have 11 pounds of ammunition and a magazine is an approved container to pack them in.




I don't think you should have loaded magazines.  




...securely packed in fiber, wood or metal boxes.  I have flown with loaded magazines many, many times...just never in the quantity I am going to take this time.  Loaded magazines are just as, if not more, secure than a factory box.



Yea but those fools at the airport won't think so.  

Good luck and good hunt on your trip.

Post pics.



Doh...I keep forget I am going to be dealing with trained pros trained monkeys!
11/11/2004 8:13:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

...securely packed in fiber, wood or metal boxes.  I have flown with loaded magazines many, many times...just never in the quantity I am going to take this time.  Loaded magazines are just as, if not more, secure than a factory box.



The FAA issues the regulations but it is the individual carrier that interprets them and issues their own policies.  Let us know how you make out.
11/11/2004 8:21:04 AM EDT
[#12]
I think the weight limit INCLUDES packaging. This means the weight of the mag is displacing ammo that could otherwise be carried. If you are close to the limit, this could be an issue. Also, I would not carry the ammo in mags as it leaves you too open to the interpreatation of the rules by a local airline official... what if they make you unload all of your mags in the airport terminal ? I recommend carrying the ammo in regular ammo boxes and leaving the mags empty.
11/11/2004 8:21:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...securely packed in fiber, wood or metal boxes.  I have flown with loaded magazines many, many times...just never in the quantity I am going to take this time.  Loaded magazines are just as, if not more, secure than a factory box.



The FAA issues the regulations but it is the individual carrier that interprets them and issues their own policies.  Let us know how you make out.



Will do..because my wife and I are each taking 11 magazines loaded.  

I have more ammo being shipped ahead...but figure I would take advantage of the checked baggage.....just hope they don't lose it.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In