Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2002 6:20:26 PM EDT
this seems like a good place to start. this is my first post. i spend most of my time duckhunting but in the summer, i get the centerfire "itch". i bought a bushmaster shorty AK last year and have had a great time plinking. now, i would like to learn the longer range games. my club has a 400 yard range with access to another local club with a 600 yard range. i don't know if i should keep my gun and scope it,( or maybe just use open sights) working my way up in yardage before getting a longer barrelled gun or just start new with a 20 inch competition model. which gun and which scope? budget apx..$1200 give or take a few hundred. also, should i go with a bolt action or are the ar-15's up to the task?? how bout other semi-autos?

thanks for your help
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Let me say welcome to site!

I would like to ask where this range in NJ is loacated at? I haven't seen any in NJ with those kinds of distances.

You can use an AR for that kind of shooting but I would suggest that you definitely do some research before buying.

Good luck, and happy shooting.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks for making me feel welcome. the ranges in nj are way down south in cape may and cumberland counties. cumberland riflemen club is near millville and they have a 600 yard range. the club i am just joining has a 400 yard range i believe and they compete at the 600 yd. range a couple times a year i am told.
as for doing my research? i checked out an HK SL8-1 and a colt competition target rifle w/ 20 inch bbl today. hk is pretty dang strange but i hear plenty accurate and reliable. i like the colt feel and sights better though. i'll surf this forum for a while now. i'm sure i can learn a few things. can any of the AR-15s qualify as a "sniper"/"sharpshooter" weapon or is that reserved for the bolt actions exclusively? just curious, no intentions ( or even a chance) that i will excel to that level of proficiency at anytime in the near future.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:50:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Greetings & Welcome!

Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Welcome,
As stated above, research is advisable. You could do a lot worse than getting a copy of " The Competetive AR15 - the mouse that roared". By  Glen D. Zediker. It's very readable yet comprehensive. There are other good books out there I understand but this one I know is good. And attend a High Power shoot or two in your area and see what is possible, just don't get too overwhelmed by the people that go overboard on the equipment side of the game. In the above mentioned book, Z quotes Derrick Martin's advice to get a stock HBAR Colt, "do a (free float) tube, small aperture (rear sight), small post front sight, and a trigger job", then shoot it till you wear out the barrel before you think about spending big money on a gun.
leroy  
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:59:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top