Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2002 5:22:26 PM EDT
Ok, over 800 rounds of what I thought to be anything (ammo)and not a single problem (kimber ultra eclispe).  Then I start to getting misfeeds with the "cheaper" ammo.  Keep in mind I'm not upset, becuase the gun fuctions flawlessly with the federal 165/235 hydrashock, and even the winchester 230 hardball.  I'm just wondering what the heck is happening with the gun.  At first I thought it was a magazine problem because the slide would stay open, no round in the chamber, but the cartridges would be "angling" downing in the magazine(thus, I first thought week spring in the magazine).  Called kimber on this, they never heard of it happening.  What I've found is all I have to do is pull the slide back about 1/8", cartridge would "angle" up, rack slide and she was ready to go.  Keep in mind this just started happening with no problems whatsoever in the past.  Recoil spring is in properly, and if anything, I would of thought the spring poundage would of been to high, but factory recoil spring (20 lbs I think)  Any insight or experience with this?  Thought perhaps the catridge didn't have enough load, but this is factory ammo!?  Just hate to think that I have to keep "trying" out different ammo now to see what works and what doesn't (no cheap shot intended, but the berreta and sig NEVER had a problem, ALTHOUGH the kimber will outshoot either one in my hands any day:)
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 5:30:19 PM EDT
[#1]
13f, have you disasembled and cleaned the inside of the mag? Is this happening with how many mags?

Sounds like the ammo is hanging up inside the mag body to me.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 5:31:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Other than the obvious suggestion of trying a different magazine, do you think you could have the magazine spring in backwards?  The other obvious suggestion is to try some +P ammo or a lighter recoil spring.z
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Two new wilson mags today with only one "non" misfeed with hornady custom 230 jhp/xtp +p, no malfunctions with with the federal again.  Recoil spring is in correctly, I questioned the lb's, but again I'm assuming (that word) that it's a factory 20lber.  When I had the problem last week, the gun would fire, slide would not go all the way back, although looking at it, you would think it was (thus, when you pulled it no more than 1/8", cartridge would "angle up", chamber round and you were ready to go.  Even if I did have the magazine sping in backwards, would this cause the slide to stay open? This is what has me perplexed.  By the way, it had happened with Mcormick and kimber magazines (7 rounder's)
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 5:59:13 PM EDT
[#4]
It could be the slide stop. The nose of the bullet may be contacting the slide stop forcing it up and engaging the slide while keeping the nose of the bullet angled down. When you pull back on the slide it allows the bullet to clear the slide stop and proceed to feed normally.

Check the bottom of the slide stop and see if it shows signs of copper from the bullet jacket.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 6:08:38 PM EDT
[#5]
SGB, good guess (although I now have the gun disasembled cleaning it, and you made look all over the desk for it!)  Very slight copper finish on the bottom of it, which may be the answer.  If it is, why on the "cheaper" ammo and not on the federal? Why after 800 rds no problem, and now it's "acting up"?  Again, no problem with the hydrashocks (only 75 rds tonight), but last two weeks it seemed to be every other shot (again, with pmc and some other plinking ammo that I thought I didn't have a problem with in the past.  Thks
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 6:10:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I love my Kimber and so do a number of my friends.  The only problems that I've ever had with Kimbers were the damn magazines.  It seems that even though Kimber focuses on manufacturing one of the finest 1911s in the market, their choices for sourcing these magazines has not proven to have been as prudent.  I only use Wilson mags and leave the McCormick Shooting Stars and Meggars in the drawer at home.  Since I started using the Wilso mags, I've never had a problem.  By the way, I no longer want a CDP model Kimber.  I handled a Classic Eclipse II model and that will be my FY 2003 purchase.  Mark my words!
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 6:21:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
SGB, good guess (although I now have the gun disassembled cleaning it, and you made look all over the desk for it!)  Very slight copper finish on the bottom of it, which may be the answer.  If it is, why on the "cheaper" ammo and not on the federal? Why after 800 rds no problem, and now it's "acting up"?  Again, no problem with the hydrashocks (only 75 rds tonight), but last two weeks it seemed to be every other shot (again, with pmc and some other plinking ammo that I thought I didn't have a problem with in the past.  Thks

Could be the mag springs have weakened slightly. The cartridge below the round being fed into the chamber gets dragged forward
slightly allowing it to engage the slide stop on it's next cycle.

I'm also assuming that the plinking ammo is FMJ ball which has a longer profile than the Federal Hydroshocks.

It could also be that the slide stop just needs to be filed and polished slightly to alleviate this occurrence.

You might want to post this over to handguns.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?id=18 and see what Kurt has to say.

Link Posted: 3/25/2002 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#8]
FnFalGuy, ditto!  Buttt... I did have this same
misfeed tonight with a brand new wilson magazine which leads me to believe it's not a magazine issue.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 6:42:04 PM EDT
[#9]
SGB, thks.  If this is the problem, it does make sense.  Heading to bed, but I'll post it over there tomorrow at work.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 2:27:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a Custom Eclipse II. No problems/malfs after 200 rounds, even with Kimber mags.  Recommend you go to the Kimber forum or Pistolsmith.com also to post your question.  If you can't resolve the problem send it back to Kimber, they have excellent customer service.

Deucer01
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 12:26:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 10:33:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I have two Kimbers and both have been 100%, even with the CM mags.

Duecer01-  How do you like the Eclipse?  I got one last Nov. and the thing has been awesome.  It shot right to point of aim out of the box and just feels great.  

13f- +Ps in the Ultra?  You da man.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 3:05:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Ratters,

I bought my Custom Eclipse II in Jan 02, one of the last Eclipses from the Custom Shop.  I love mine also.  Hard for some to believe that a near $1000 gun is a bargain but it is considering it came with all the custom features to include checkered front strap, adjustable night sites and hand fit match construction.  Mine has been totally reliable with various FMJ and HP ammo.  This is with Kimber and Wilson mags. It also is very accurate, at 15 yds offhand we can blow out the x-ring on a B17 target.  Plus it looks awesome.  I'd post a pic but haven't learned how to do that yet.  Keep an eye on your Meprolight night sites (PNI); some batches tended to go dim after a few hundred rounds, but Kimber has been replacing these gratis.

/r,

Deucer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top