Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2002 9:18:46 AM EDT

What distances should I be training with my .45 1911? I am thinking probably 15-20Yards while shooting sillouetes anything more I should be trying to get away from the situation. and come back with something more than my sidarm
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 9:24:03 AM EDT
[#1]
FYI - The majority of shooting incidents (according to the FBI stats) occur at between 7 and 21 feet.

A handgun is only there to allow yourself to get to your rifle/shotgun, IMHO.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:05:35 AM EDT
[#2]
7-21feet is very close!
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:26:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
7-21feet is very close!

Yes it is!  Practice speed and getting on the front sight quickly. Two shots to the center chest cavity.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:40:01 AM EDT
[#4]
All of above were the same as taught in my CCW class 1 month ago. There was a pretty good video by a guy named, (I think) Jeff Cooper, ex-USMC. It gave varying stages of awareness and essentially taught you to be prepared for danger before it gets right on top of you. It went:
WHITE-UNAWARE. You're sleeping or just diddly-bopping around without a care in the world.
YELLOW-ALERT. You are actively checking out what is around you, able to identify potential hazardous persons/situations
ORANGE-SPECIFIC ALERT. You have identified a specific problem, and are mentally prepared to deal with it.
RED-FIGHT. Draw your weapon and use it if needed.
What it really helps is preparation-it's tough to go from white to red, or yellow to red. Food for thought.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 12:18:19 PM EDT
[#5]
As for defese I'd say you'r best bet is to train.From everthing from point-blank and out to maybe 15 yards.Any farther than that and you'd have a hard time pleading self defense unles the other person was armed with a firearm them self.Do'nt just punch the paper thou,practice you'r draw,shooting from cover,shooting while moving and so on.There is no better defense in court if you have to use you'r weapon than proper training from a top notch school.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I started out at 3ft to 15ft. Then I moved to 25ft and just started shooting at 50ft. I use a Glock 19C. I also practice kneeling when not in allot of pain. I also practice lying in a fetal position or shooting from around a Corner or doorway. They have props where I shoot. I have just started shooting at 50ft. Having lots of problems. You could go to Glocktalk and see my posts. It's under edpmedic also.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 12:42:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Look for a local IDPA match in your area.  I started competing in them a few months ago and it is really great practice.  Most of the "targets" engaged are rarely more than 20 yards and they'll throw a lot of different scenarios at you.

If you are not a LEO (or in your house or business), statements like:

trying to get away from the situation. and come back with something more than my sidearm

might not make a justifiable shoot.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 4:45:03 PM EDT
[#8]
"trying to get away from the situation. and come back with something more than my sidearm"

Ok Ok you caught the statement the reason I put this in was because I didn't want everyone telling me "Your handgun is only for getting your rifle"

I need too brush up on my skills so i don't get laughed at a competition!
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#9]

I need too brush up on my skills so i don't get laughed at a competition!

Don't worry about that.  In IDPA matches you are really only competing with yourself.  No one will laugh at you.  In fact, the guys are kinda like golf instructors - they can point out things that you cannot see and help make you a better shooter.

edited to add - on some match days, if there is any time left on the range rental, they will even get out the "evils" and run through some CQB drills.  Going to take my newly constructed V Match Flattop next time and have a go at it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top