Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2006 7:56:26 PM EDT
... Are there any valuable or redeeming attributes with this rifle?

... I came across a LNIB for a song and snatched it right up but I'm just not sure what to use, or keep it for.

... She sure looks purty
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:37:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm willing to say that it might outshoot most AK's in circulation.  

And it will shoot .308 bullets -- That's interesting, if you reload.

I've always wanted one, much as I hate to admit it!

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:19:17 AM EDT
[#2]
It's not a bad little rifle, I have one that is reasonably accurate and works pretty well with after market mags.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:25:51 AM EDT
[#3]
It's easy to mount a normal scope and still get a cheekweld instead of a chinweld.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
... Are there any valuable or redeeming attributes with this rifle?

... I came across a LNIB for a song and snatched it right up but I'm just not sure what to use, or keep it for.

... She sure looks purty

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:44:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:21:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Love mine!   Stainless Steel with a Butler Creek folding stock,  1 of the best brush guns for hunting hogs here in FL. that I've ever owned. Mine is pretty accurate, usually shoots less than a 3" group at 100 yrds offhand, (plenty accurate for hunting) have shot 1.5 " groups with a scope off a bench at 100 yrds. I put a rear site off an M-1 Carbine on mine and it really made quite an improvement, only took some small modification to the site to make it fit, sure makes it nice to be able to adjust for windage & elevation from the rear site, quite an improvement over the stock rear site.  Only problem is finding decent high cap mags (that work) for them, I've got about a dozen 5 round ruger mags that always work fine, the only decent high cap mags I've found are the Thermould mags, which they don't make anymore, if you find any they'll be expensive.
 I use mine for my Jeep gun and also carry it when running equipment in our citrus groves.   Wish I could post some pics for you but I don't have any place to host my pics.
  Enjoy your new rifle, they are a blast to shoot!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:41:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree that the Ruger mini-30 makes an excellent brush or truck gun. I've had mine for a few years now.

The mags are an issue if you desire anything more than the 5 round mag that fits flush with the stock. Mags that feed properly are a hit-or-miss affair, with much of the problems due to the poor quality of mags available for the mini-30 (seems Bill Ruger thought that us common folk should not have any factory hi-cap mags available to us). Most higher cap mags for the mini-30 are flimsy sheet metal with HORRIBLE feed lips or they are made of an el-cheapo semi transparent plastic.

Unfortunately the mini-30 was designed for a .308 bullet in the 7.62 x 39 caliber and most cheap ammo like Wolf and Silver bear is a .311 bullet seated in the 7.62 x 39 caliber. Wolf and Silver Bear still function fine and there is no real safety issue, it just reduces the accuracy potential in an already not-so-accurate rifle design.

As others posted,  the mini-30 will do its job if you can get over the mag and accuracy issues; but this is not a precision target rifle by any means.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:26:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Most higher cap mags for the mini-30 are flimsy sheet metal with HORRIBLE feed lips or they are made of an el-cheapo semi transparent plastic.

I happen to own 4 Eagle 10rnd magazines, and they are very nice. Feed beautifly and are very tough. I got 4 from CDNN for about $40 shipped.

My mini shoots <2" groups with Silver Bear. Very handy little rifle for hunting deer and as a self defence rifle.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:54:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I've had a mini 30 for quite a while and have killed a bunch of deer with mine.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:49:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:51:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Most higher cap mags for the mini-30 are flimsy sheet metal with HORRIBLE feed lips or they are made of an el-cheapo semi transparent plastic.

I happen to own 4 Eagle 10rnd magazines, and they are very nice. Feed beautifly and are very tough. I got 4 from CDNN for about $40 shipped.

My mini shoots <2" groups with Silver Bear. Very handy little rifle for hunting deer and as a self defence rifle.

I agree that the mini-30 can be handy...and for your 4 Eagle 10rnd mags, good for you. I was speaking about HIGH CAPACITY mags being POS for the mini.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:01:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Who makes synthetic mags over 10rnd capacity for the Mini-30?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I just seen some on gunbroker.com, I forgot want they wanted for them....but they did look nice. a lot better then the cheezy metal ones..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top