Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2014 11:56:58 PM EDT
Has anyone utilized this? Iv'e got an 0350 which is my first decent knife but it's certainly becoming a bit dull along with a minor chip I would like to get taken care of. Just wondering if anyone has used there service and what the turn around time is? Not in a huge rush but will be leaving for a trip and would like to bring it along with me.

Also, is it really even worth it? My dad has a number of whetstones I could use, granted iv'e never sharpened a knife before on them..or on anything. Also I read that recurve blades are a bit more difficult to sharpen then your standard drop point. Is it that much more of an issue doing recurves?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:58:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Small recurves can be a pain, but you have to learn eventually.

I don't know about turn around times, but I decided against sending one of mine in after hearing of so many stories of them burning up S30V and Elmax resharpened blades. To be fair they seem to immediately take care of those cases, but still. Just my opinion, but S30V's industry standard heat treat is way too hard for the steel, which makes it even harder to sharpen and also chippage prone. I love my 0350, but it should have been made with 154CM. S30V is a terrible heavy duty work steel.

(Hides from incoming bricks)
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:30:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Spyderco sharpmaker is good for recurves.

But if it were me I'd send it back. I've heard good things.

If you haven't sharpened a knife before and only have whetstones available I'd use the warranty you paid for when you bought the knife.

Eta - I'd take out some old knives or some kitchen knives and practice on the stones though. Learning to sharpen a knife to a good edge is a very useful skill to have. I'd consider myself a novice in that field, but get better every time and can maintain my users pretty effectively.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:12:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone know if the blems can be sent in?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:58:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone know if the blems can be sent in?
View Quote

Unless something has changed recently, they won't touch them. Kershaw Guy used to have great prices, but Kershaw upped the blem prices and they're no longer worth it since you can get a full warranty non blem for $10 more.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:23:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:45:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
anyone know if I can send in a ZT that I have already tried sharpening myself? I can normally get any of my other knives sharp enough to shave the hair off my arm, but for some reason, I cant get my 550 anywhere near that sharp

View Quote

Just read the paperwork in the box. Don't recall it saying you couldn't sharpen it. Just pay to ship it to them, they pay to return it to you.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:31:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Found this: http://zt.kaiusaltd.com/pdfs/Warranty_Service_Form_Kershaw_ZT.pdf

Belms appear to not fall under warranty/repair.

Says nothing about not sharpening a blade already sharpened by you.

Up to 6 weeks...i'll assume it's less..
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:39:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I sent in some knives to get sharpen and it takes about two weeks to get it back.  Send it in and if you run into issues they have great CS.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:25:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Run out to lowes and buy one of those little lansky jig set up things.  They'll sharpen recurves or straight blades just fine.  I normally use a DMT Diafold on on my pocket knives, I have bench stones for big knives but it just too quick and easy to slap a knife in one of those jig set ups and go to town.  They are crazy cheap too if you really get down to it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I sent 3 ZT's and 1 Kershaw in and it took 4 weeks round trip. This included fixing my 0750 that had the sping assit broken.

The sharpening of my 350 was a little disappointing as the trip was rounded. It will go back next time I have a few to send in.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:22:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I sent 3 ZT's and 1 Kershaw in and it took 4 weeks round trip. This included fixing my 0750 that had the sping assit broken.

The sharpening of my 350 was a little disappointing as the tip was rounded. It will go back next time I have a few to send in.
View Quote

That's why I don't send my stuff to anyone else.  Also the spring assist, they have a thing you can fill out online and will send you the torsion bar, you can get a torx screwdriver at any tool store for $5 and fix it yourself in about 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:32:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Regardless of how fast it is, this is going to require a second ZT purchase...so that you are not without while one is being sharpened.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top