Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2009 4:34:41 PM EDT
Who has what? Where did you get it? Did you install yourself? If so was it difficult? How reliable is it?
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 9:09:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I started with a small professionally-installed system, and upon learning a bit about it, completely redid it myself (several times over).  It is home-brew, and a work in progress... we're on a constant upgrade path at casa-de-grayman.

I use dome cameras almost exclusively (including PTZ), as well as a few covert cameras.  The system is analog (standard video cameras, not network cameras), and records 24/7 to a Dedicated Micros digital video recorder.  The video is subsequently mirrored to secure network storage at another location.  The DVR does either MJPEG or MPEG4, has about 600Gb of storage, does motion-detection, and has input/output to the home alarm.  

The cameras are anti-vandal models, and out-of-reach from the ground.  They all have thick polycarbonate domes, are weatherproof, day-night capable, and paired to a variety of infrared illuminators (sometimes multiple illuminators per camera).  In some locations they're WDR (wide dynamic range) to compensate for lighting conditions in those locations.

There is no approach to my home where I cannot see who is coming.  Certain cameras are positioned to give a wider view, while others are zoomed in for face shots.

Whatever you get, make sure your DVR is network-capable.  There's nothing like being able to check on your home over the internet when you're away.  Some DVRs will email you if there's a problem (like a camera is disabled), or send you a text message on your cell phone (mine does this).

I recommend CCTV... gives great peace of mind.
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 5:03:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I too am looking for a CCTV system.  For a fairly decent recorder with internet connection, about 6 camera recording and 30 days storage what is recommended and what kind of price I am looking at. I figure the recorder will be the most important buy since it will be the work horse of the system.
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 5:36:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I have seven analog video cameras that go back to a home-made DVR with a pair of four input capture cards and a 500G hard drive.
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 5:00:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Like anything else there are cheap video systems and then there are good video systems.  What are you looking for?
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 5:53:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm using GeoVision PC Based DVR system at my home,
http://www.palmvid.com/content/categories/multi-camera-systems/sub-categories/pc-card-systems.html

I have several types of cameras from basic bullet to IR to low light. The software is pretty complete, I can view live video via the internet from anywhere using a PC, PDA or 'smart' phone. The software motion detection is a little lack luster it really only catches movement from about 1/2 the FOV and closer, which is weird b/c it should just be doing a pixel shift change detection, but in my testing, that's what it's doing. The system can expand greatly, my next project is to tie it into a smarthome security/automation system and have that activate the cameras. Currently I have it set to record day-night which works fine in the event something happens. The software also lets you control PTZ cameras, I don't have any b/c I'm still looking for something that will meet my needs and cost less than $500. This is one of those systems that can start out reasonably cheap and get expensive QUICK.

-chad
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I was looking through a new catalog/price list last week and saw a cheapy PTZ, but I can't remember who made it ATM.  I will get back to you on this.
Link Posted: 1/3/2009 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#7]
HKChad have you played with the advanced motion features of the Geovision?
Link Posted: 1/3/2009 5:13:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Salty,

Nothing more than the input mask stuff, is that what you are talking about?

-chad
Link Posted: 1/3/2009 6:02:16 PM EDT
[#9]
There are a lot of features with the Geo card. There is several advanced motion features were you can increase sensitivity in certain areas. For example instead of just masking off a pool, you can increase the sensitivity of the pool deck and decrease the actual body of water.What model capture card do you have ?
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 11:11:33 AM EDT
[#10]
It's a GV800, where do I find those settings in the software?

thanks,
-chad
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 3:28:05 PM EDT
[#11]
HKChad,

When you are at your dvr, you will have the icons on the lower right side of the screen. Click on the tools icon. You will have a pull up menu that lists different options.  You should see advanced motion as a option. Clicking on that option will open up the window to change the features. Do you have the manuals that came with the card?
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 4:38:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
HKChad,

When you are at your dvr, you will have the icons on the lower right side of the screen. Click on the tools icon. You will have a pull up menu that lists different options.  You should see advanced motion as a option. Clicking on that option will open up the window to change the features. Do you have the manuals that came with the card?

The only advanced options I see are for adjusting Brightness/contrast/hue/etc. I see nothing about Advanced Motion. I have the manual for V8.2. Is that a feature that you need the USB dongle for?

thanks for your help,
-chad
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 7:20:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Was the dvr built by you or someone else? Do you have the discs that came with the capture card. The 8.2 has many features in the software like advanced motion set up, object tracking, privacy masking, etc.
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Was the dvr built by you or someone else? Do you have the discs that came with the capture card. The 8.2 has many features in the software like advanced motion set up, object tracking, privacy masking, etc.

I built it, and yes I have all the disc. I found the advanced motion options just a bit ago, I had to turn off monitoring for it to become available. I'll mess around with it some and see if I can get it to do what I want. However, I currently have it setup to just non-stop record and overwrite itself at regular intervals. I have dual drives on a hot-swap backplanes and a spare ready to go if one fails. For some reason I just don't trust the motion sensor stuff. It will start to record movement for a few seconds then quit while there is still motion going on, that just won't work if something were to really happen. So I'm going to just record all and sift through it when something does happen. I'll feel better about the system once it's integrated with my Omni automation/security system. Still waiting on the GV USB I/O box.

-chad
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 11:39:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Who has what? Where did you get it? Did you install yourself? If so was it difficult? How reliable is it?

Hi, the main consensus around here is to use supercircuits.com for surveillance equipment.  I checked them out, found what I wanted then I went to eBay and bought the same items for 30% to 50% LESS.

I am running this DVR: SuperCircuits and eBay

with (4) Sony 1/3" IR dome cameras LINK   I have all major entry points covered with the cameras, and one aiming down the driveway.  The IR works pretty well, but I changed the lighting on the outside to motion activated, for everything!.  If someone even steps close to the house, the light are on, and the cameras are catching them in full color, not b/w IR.

I installed everything and cleaned up the wiring in about 6 hours one Saturday. I have the DVR in a closet in a Sentry document firesafe bolted to the floor.  I drilled a few vent holes in the sides of the safe so the DVR doesn't overheat, and it stays nice and cool.

Oh, and FYI, you can go to Super Circuits and D/L the manuals for the DVR's to see how easy or difficult they are to setup and use. I knew NOTHING about security cameras, and I had this up and running with all wires ran and tied off in one Saturday.

Also, since I live in the country, I have Satellite TV, so when I wired the house, I ran a Cat-5 to each TV location. I tapped into an unused pair of the Cat-5 wires at my sub panel, and I can watch the cameras at any TV in the house a video input channel.

Link Posted: 1/5/2009 12:41:43 PM EDT
[#16]
HKChad you can also go into the pre and post record features. Basically when motion is detected the dvr will go back x amount of time before movement started and x amount of time after movement has stopped and record all of it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 4:57:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
HKChad you can also go into the pre and post record features. Basically when motion is detected the dvr will go back x amount of time before movement started and x amount of time after movement has stopped and record all of it.

Yes, I set all that, the pre recording is working, but the post isn't doing just a good job. Its like it just stop detecting movement and ends recording (after ~10sec) while I'm still walking around outside (inside the motion detection is working just like it should). Maybe that's the difference? inside v outside?

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the system, much better than any 'web cam' software out there trying to pass itself off as 'security' system software, the Geovision crew really put together a complete package with the Remote View, Web Cam and PocketPC Software. Not to mention the backup server and all the other ways to view the feeds.
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#18]
The Geo is one of my favorites, it does take a little bit of time getting used to all the features.
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 11:29:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Try www.supercircuits.com
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:31:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Currently I use this:

http://www.zoneminder.com/

Have it running on an older small size HP desktop and use an aviosys IP 9100 to convert the 4 analog cams (~20 each cheap Ebay) to IP that ZoneMinder can use directly.

it records motion and interfaces with my Ademco Vista20P on one of its outputs so that when an home alarm is triggered it records all cams until the alarm is cleared at the panel.
It also send the image with the highest "score" to my cell via e-mail and FTP's the MPEG to an offsite location.

I am barely scratching the surface of what can be done with it but it is good and WORKS so for about $200 (got the PC free) I have all that and can do a bunch more when I want to... PTZ soon :-)

-A
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 5:00:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I set all that, the pre recording is working, but the post isn't doing just a good job. Its like it just stop detecting movement and ends recording (after ~10sec) while I'm still walking around outside (inside the motion detection is working just like it should). Maybe that's the difference? inside v outside?

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the system, much better than any 'web cam' software out there trying to pass itself off as 'security' system software, the Geovision crew really put together a complete package with the Remote View, Web Cam and PocketPC Software. Not to mention the backup server and all the other ways to view the feeds.

IIRC the post-recording on the GV-800 is limited to 10 seconds. I feel your pain. Try adjusting the sensativity. But my guess is that you already did this and you have the same problem I do, either it is set too high and it records 24/7, or on the next setting down it isn't sensative enough to see motion farther away (that you still want to record though).

Aside from this frustration, I've been very happy with Geovision for the last 4 years I've had it. Wow... 4 years.... might be time to buy a new up-to-date model.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top