Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2014 10:46:05 AM EDT
Can someone please explain to me the pros/cons of direct thread vs taper mount? And any other mounting. As of right now I am leaning towards buying the griffin armament Recce 7 which is a taper mount. Is there anything I should know about taper mount before buying? This is my first ever suppressor purchase (mainly will be used on my 10.5 inch 300 blackout). Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 8:00:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Is that the only host you plan on using? If I didn't plan on using a suppressor but one rifle, I would go thread on.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 8:19:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a .270 bolt action rifle and a 5.56 ar15 as well. mostly it will be used on the 300 blackout.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 10:08:32 AM EDT
[#3]
taper mounts are nice, and make it convenient to move a can from one rifle to the next with out have to pull the muzzle device  but they don't really work any better than a direct thread on once its re-tightened after the first couple shots.  plus you have the added cost dropping at least an extra hundred dollars on mounts for each rifle, while that's not bad, add up 150-200 per mount for 7 or 8 rifles and very quickly you will be spending more money on mounts than the can its self.  add in the fact the silencer companies love to come out with new mounts each year so finding say a surefire 762ss mount in 1/2-28 from 3 years ago is like finding a pot of gold at times.

pretty much everything comes with either 1/2 or 5/8 x 28 threads and quality adapters can be found for less than 20 bucks online. theres really no reason to buy a mount for a rifle that allready has a mount on it unless you really like the look of the mount

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 10:22:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
taper mounts are nice, and make it convenient to move a can from one rifle to the next with out have to pull the muzzle device  but they don't really work any better than a direct thread on once its re-tightened after the first couple shots.  plus you have the added cost dropping at least an extra hundred dollars on mounts for each rifle, while that's not bad, add up 150-200 per mount for 7 or 8 rifles and very quickly you will be spending more money on mounts than the can its self.  add in the fact the silencer companies love to come out with new mounts each year so finding say a surefire 762ss mount in 1/2-28 from 3 years ago is like finding a pot of gold at times.

pretty much everything comes with either 1/2 or 5/8 x 28 threads and quality adapters can be found for less than 20 bucks online. theres really no reason to buy a mount for a rifle that allready has a mount on it unless you really like the look of the mount

View Quote

Well the mounts w/ the recce 7 are only $100 bucks each so i don't feel that is terrible. When it comes to shooting the 300 blackout, it will pretty much be suppressed all the time unless I am testing bullet stability w/ reloading. I guess I just didn't want to have to take off and put back on the flash hider for the 556 as I don't know how often I planned on running it suppressed.

I guess what would be everyone's recommendation for a suppressor for what I have: 10.5 inch 300 BLK, 16 inch 556, bolt action .270. The recce 7 is pretty much the top of my budget as I would like to keep under $1000 w/ the tax stamp (I realize adding in the mounts for the recce 7 would put over $1000 but those don't all need to be purchased right off the bat.) I am thinking the saker 762 is going to be over my budget.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 1:22:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
..... they don't really work any better than a direct thread on once its re-tightened after the first couple shots......

View Quote

This isn't true at all.  Taper mounts can be as rock solid as any QD mount (or even better if you consider many QD mounts allow a bunch of wiggle (Gemtech Quick-Mount and of course 51T).  Re-tightening a direct thread mount after a couple of shots only works depending on how the tolerances stack between your barrel and the silencer manufacturer.  This will work for some, but not all.  I think direct thread should only be used for very low volume shooting and with a quality threaded barrel -- and then checked often for tightness so keep your wrench handy.  

I'm not a big Griffin Arm. fan, but I have to admit they've come a long way and their mount strikes a good balance between simple and effective.  It's based on the Ops Inc. system which doesn't come loose and offers superb alignment.  It's what allows Ops Inc to run such tight bores.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 2:50:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This isn't true at all.  Taper mounts can be as rock solid as any QD mount (or even better if you consider many QD mounts allow a bunch of wiggle (Gemtech Quick-Mount and of course 51T).  Re-tightening a direct thread mount after a couple of shots only works depending on how the tolerances stack between your barrel and the silencer manufacturer.  This will work for some, but not all.  I think direct thread should only be used for very low volume shooting and with a quality threaded barrel -- and then checked often for tightness so keep your wrench handy.  

I'm not a big Griffin Arm. fan, but I have to admit they've come a long way and their mount strikes a good balance between simple and effective.  It's based on the Ops Inc. system which doesn't come loose and offers superb alignment.  It's what allows Ops Inc to run such tight bores.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
..... they don't really work any better than a direct thread on once its re-tightened after the first couple shots......

A lot of people successfully utilize Teflon tape, Rockset, or even a thin wave washer on direct threads. Done right and carefully examined prior to use you can go w/ a heavy firing schedule. I'm sure some will cry heresy but I know plenty old salts who've been in this game longer than most of us, even some manufacturers who do/did this on their cans.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#7]

In what area can a taper mount/qd can outperform a thread on surefire, thunderbeast, aac, ect...

Outside of looking tactical and most likely be out of stock in next year. Mounts are way overrated and way overpriced.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#8]
The function of thread loosening is vibration.  The semi locking taper removes vibration making the mount impervious to inadvertent loosening.   That is basically most of what anyone ever wanted to change in a thread mount.

The mount can be installed with propper torque once rather than the thread mount can which has to be properly torqued every time you move it around for similar freedom from worry. Mounts also isolate dissimilar heating and expansion in relation to the barrel somewhat which is another contributor to loose cans.  The cans are thin wall. The mounts are similar in mass and composition to barrel steel.

Thread mounts are great if you dont mind always wondering if they will break loose or re tightening them often.

Many qd systems have some slight play and the taper mount has none.
In some applications play can be tolerated or is desired but not in all applications.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top