Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2008 10:00:45 AM EDT
I went to a gunshow recently and made a good buy on a FAL. I was on my way out after spending several hours there and I saw a guy with a FAL walk through the door. He had just had it tied by the officer at the door. I asked him if it was for sale and could I look at it. He said it was and yes.

I looked the gun over- Imbel receiver imported by CAI and an STG kit-no threads on the barrel, nor comp of any kind. It is apparently a Century built gun. It has their cheap STG type plastic handguards on it...... Sights were lined up correctly, bore excellent, numbers matched, everything looked right. I asked him if he had shot it much, said no but that it worked fine, he had bought it maybe 4-5 years ago and decided he wanted to get rid of it.

I asked what would he take and he said $400. I peeled 4- 100's out of my wallet and kept walking out the door with my new rifle. A pretty dang good gunshow right there!
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:02:42 AM EDT
[#1]

Asshole!

Which show was this?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Panhandle.

I thought it might have been stolen but the guy had is kid with him etc.....If he bought it that long ago he might have only paid $500 for it and figured $400 instant cash was a good deal. It was for me.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:53:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Used Imbel receivers can go for $400.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 11:36:16 PM EDT
[#4]
My FAL started life just like that one.  They were about $550 in 2000.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:31:38 AM EDT
[#5]
very nice buy. congrats
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:15:52 AM EDT
[#6]

My FAL started life just like that one. They were about $550 in 2000.

Yea, that's kinda what I remembered as well. Like I said I figure the guy bought it and it sat in his closet quite a bit. Maybe with high gas and high ammo he decided that since he wasn't shooting it much he would unload it for some quick cash. I shot it last night and everything worked as it should, appropriate gas setting, cases cleanly ejected, no signs of pressure, very good accuracy. I tried 4 different kinds of ammo and it all worked and shot well so I'm pretty happy. Looks like the Angry Beavers at Century got one right anyway.

I am not 100% certain but I think the US parts are the furniture- it has a straight comb buttstock, synthetic and "cheapish" feeling, an obvious Century pistol grip and handguards and then the fire controls. I will probably add a Vortex and some decent handguards. The Century ones feel like they would melt if they got a little warm.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:01:05 AM EDT
[#7]
You did steal it. I hope you felt really bad...for about 10 seconds. Good buy.  I have two Century L1A1's and AC has one.  All of ours are good shooters.  Congratulations.

David

BTW - Welcome to the dark side.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:31:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Yea, I have 6 Fals not including this most recent one.

One of the six is a Century R1-it even has the much dreaded Hesse receiver. I insisted on a test fire on that one before I bought it but the stupid thing doesn't apparently know it's supposed to be junk-I have 1,100 rounds through it and not a hiccup, accuracy is 2-3 inches depending on ammo. After the ban ended I had it cut down to 18" and added a flashider and it sits in my pickup. I gave $325 for it and have no complaints.

I have two of the IAI 444's and the others guns I built from Tapco $89 Imbel kits. The Fal is a great rifle but I am still an M1A guy at heart!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:04:00 AM EDT
[#9]
SIX FAL's and he is "an M1A guy at heart".  I would like to add a second FAL, my only one being an AZEX built full size FAL bought 10 years ago.  Would love something along the lines of the DSA "Congo folder".

Good shopping there Will!

Quoted:
Yea, I have 6 Fals not including this most recent one.

One of the six is a Century R1-it even has the much dreaded Hesse receiver. I insisted on a test fire on that one before I bought it but the stupid thing doesn't apparently know it's supposed to be junk-I have 1,100 rounds through it and not a hiccup, accuracy is 2-3 inches depending on ammo. After the ban ended I had it cut down to 18" and added a flashider and it sits in my pickup. I gave $325 for it and have no complaints.

I have two of the IAI 444's and the others guns I built from Tapco $89 Imbel kits. The Fal is a great rifle but I am still an M1A guy at heart!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:39:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Actually, I have 7 with this most recent rifle.

I got into Fals when you could  or build one for $400-500 and really have a great rifle. When you could buy a really good kit for $100-125 and a high quality receiver for under $200....no way to beat the FAL...... Now that they cost almost as much as M1a's, not so attractive anymore, to me at least.

I started with an IAI gun, liked it quite a bit and then bought another when it came up at a reasonable price. Then I decided to build some guns and built 3 for myself and helped several guys build theirs too. Then kits dried up at reasonable prices due to the barrel ban etc...... I was sitting on quite a few of the Tapco Imbel kits that I had bought and had intended to build them..... then receivers dried up practically.....I got tired of the stop/start nature of it all and since kits were high I sold quite a few and said to heck with it.

Then a guy showed up with the Hesse R1 and I found the STG, can't say no to battle rifles in the sub $500 range. So, at this point I own Fals because I built or bought them cheap enough and they are decent rifles...but I'm still an M1/M1a guy!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:45:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Actually, I have 7 with this most recent rifle.

Crap, I'm telling you welcome to the dark side only to find out that you're Darth Vader.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:53:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, like I said, at one time in the not so distant past (Man, I'm starting to sound like the old farts at the gunshow that say- "I remember when them 03's were $17 shipped to your door from the DCM.....") you could buy/ build a Fal for very reasonable money. It was everymans battle rifle-the fact that that era ran concurrently with $130/1k ammo didn't hurt sales either!

When an M1a was $1000 or more, mags were $40 and spare parts high too....and you could buy/build a FAL with a complete set of spare parts, 40 mags and maybe a case of ammo for that money....it was kinda a no brainer. I was fortunate enough to have the money to make it happen at the right time. The guns I have, in reality, have paid for themselves. I bought the Imbel parts kits from Tapco to build pretty cheap and sold them pretty dearly though not as dearly as some. So, the Fals I have were pretty much self funding- the kits I sold off more than paid for the guns and spares-parts and mags I have kept. Hard to beat that deal.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I would have to agree with you a good battle rifle for under $500 would be tought to pass up.  

So if I want a FAL with folding stock and 18" barrel should I just bite the bullet and order the "congo" one from DSA?  Can I get it for less than retail?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:12:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I would watch the E&E. I have seen a few good buys on rifles there from time to time....gotta move quick though when you see one.

Other place to watch would be the FAL Files but man....you gotta be quick there, not quick but lightening quick.Those guys know to the penny what everything is worth.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:04:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I would have to agree with you a good battle rifle for under $500 would be tought to pass up.  

So if I want a FAL with folding stock and 18" barrel should I just bite the bullet and order the "congo" one from DSA?  Can I get it for less than retail?

You can order it direct through and FFL and save a couple hundred. What Will said is right; good deals on a para are rare and gone in a flash.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:11:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Bill,

You might also want to look at the STG58 from DSA.  An 18" folder can be had for around $1500 I believe.  Considering your getting a new barrel and receiver along with a one year warranty, it might be the best deal you'll find.  I turned one of my Century guns into an 18.5" folder and I probably have within a few hundred dollars of that much in it.

David
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks guys.  Never have much trouble here finding guys to help me spend my money!  

But the FAL with a folder and 18" to 20" barrel just seem to be calling my name lately.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:14:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Great buy, last one ran me $400.00 also but that was a year or two ago before they really jumped on price. That was a all Steyr upper with a PAC Imbal receiver. Been a nice rifle so far tho I'm more into M14 type rifles. Still, for $400.00 I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:42:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Thanks guys.  Never have much trouble here finding guys to help me spend my money!  

But the FAL with a folder and 18" to 20" barrel just seem to be calling my name lately.

Check out RGuns
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top