Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/16/2006 6:47:37 PM EDT
I have a bush gun MIA made in Aug.94. I have heard that with the early rifles the bolts were weak, and that people would replace the bolt with USGI parts(the Bolt). Does any one have info on this? please help.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:45:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/16/2006 11:59:47 PM EDT by Mall-Ninja]
First examine the bolt. You never know if they might have had a USGI already in there, or even an SA forged bolt. My scout came with a forged bolt. look around this forum, there's info on how to identify what you have.

ETA:

Bolt Markings - A USGI bolt (and receiver) will have a dimple from a prick punch after proof round testing. An inscribed "M" on a USGI bolt means it was magnafluxed. USGI M14 bolts have additional stamps besides the part number and bolt manufacturer. The other markings are lots of the heat treatment and steel. Such an example can be found on a bolt marked 7790186 HRT A20 CDR. These are in order: 1) part number 2) manufacturer code 3) heat lot number and 4) steel supplier code. If a manufacturer had only one steel supplier then just the heat treating lot was stamped on the bolt. Other manufacturers consolidated their markings including both heat lot and steel maker.

Bolt - 7790186-SA on the first line B00048 or F00059 or similar number on the second line and may have markings such as D and M3 on the rear end and B1 on the bottom surface

Note, if it has the Fxxxxx number on the second line, it is a commercial SA forged bolt and you should be fine.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:04:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Mall-Ninja:
First examine the bolt. You never know if they might have had a USGI already in there, or even an SA forged bolt. My scout came with a forged bolt. look around this forum, there's info on how to identify what you have.

ETA:

Bolt Markings - A USGI bolt (and receiver) will have a dimple from a prick punch after proof round testing. An inscribed "M" on a USGI bolt means it was magnafluxed. USGI M14 bolts have additional stamps besides the part number and bolt manufacturer. The other markings are lots of the heat treatment and steel. Such an example can be found on a bolt marked 7790186 HRT A20 CDR. These are in order: 1) part number 2) manufacturer code 3) heat lot number and 4) steel supplier code. If a manufacturer had only one steel supplier then just the heat treating lot was stamped on the bolt. Other manufacturers consolidated their markings including both heat lot and steel maker.

Bolt - 7790186-SA on the first line B00048 or F00059 or similar number on the second line and may have markings such as D and M3 on the rear end and B1 on the bottom surface

Note, if it has the Fxxxxx number on the second line, it is a commercial SA forged bolt and you should be fine.

Cited quotes are from M14 Rifle History and Development by Lee Emerson copyright 2005-2006. A free online version is available at www.imageseek.com/m1a
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:37:43 PM EDT
Thanks for the info.
Top Top