Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2002 1:37:45 PM EDT
Hey everyone, I am in the market for an M1A, but, I'm not sure, what's a good one to get? Springfield makes a few different kinds of them. I am mainly going to go to the range, and occasionaly go to the desert to do some plinking. Also, is it a reliable rifle? What's the main thing that is going to go wrong with it? And if anyone knows where to get one for a good price, please let me know. Thanks a bunch.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 1:43:03 PM EDT
[#1]
The standard M1A should fit your needs.
Very Reliable, if taken care of (proper maintenance, just like with any other firearm)
I haven't had a problem with mine yet!
problems:  cost of ammo and magazines (GI)!!

you will not regret your purchase!  
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#2]
You just can't go wrong with an M1A. It's either the most accurate totally reliable rifle out there, or it's the most totally reliable accurate rifle. It's not as accurate as an AR15, but IMO it's a lot more reliable in its standard form (based on my experiences, someone else's may be different.)
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 5:44:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Alright then. Thanks a bunch for you guys helping me out. If anyone else has any opinions, please share. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#4]
The "loaded" versions are nice.  You get the match trigger and the match barrel.  As compared to the National Match, you don't get the hooded rear sight or the accurized gas system.  The loaded also does not have the bedded action, which can be good or bad depending upon how often you want to clean the entire rifle.  I have a loaded and a N.M.  The loaded has the stainless steel barrel and the laminate stock.  Very accurate rifle.  The N.M. with scope shoots sub-MOA with Federal GMM.

The Springfield rifles don't have G.I. barrels or gas systems.  Mine both came with G.I. bolts and operating rods.

Fulton Armory also sells some very nice rifles, with guaranteed accuracy using all G.I. parts.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 7:01:53 PM EDT
[#5]
check out my friends web page; he's got a couple pics and some words on his m1a:
www.rawpatch.com/
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 7:35:35 PM EDT
[#6]
First thing you will notice about an M1A is the near perfect balance, much like a fine OU shotgun.

Superb trigger, sights, accuracy......

I was in the market for a quality 308 (DSA Fal) when I lucked upon a nearly new SA M1A(m14 stock)that was traded in at the local shop the day befor for 825.00.

Picked up a box of Win 168 moly BT's and headed off to the range. Got it on at 25 yds and moved the target out to 75yd. Off a bench it put 5 into less than an inch. Will make a great bear/deer load this fall. I doubt my handloads will beat it.

Surplus S A, Port ammo holds about 2 MOA.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Springfield: I have an M1-A that I bought from Springfield Armory in the mid '80's. It has been a reliable  and extremely acurate rifle and I would definately recomend one to anyone thinking of purchasing an M-14 type rifle. Since none of us will ever be able to buy a "real" M-14 The Springfield Armory model is the closest most of us will be able to get to an authentic rifle.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 8:40:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Gun_Nut2; About the accurized gas system, would that make a real big difference in accuracy? And the bedded action, exactly, what is that? See, I'm kinda new to all this, so that's why I'm asking all these questions. Are GI parts better than the parts S.A. supplies with their rifle? All you guys really are a big help. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 9:03:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I have an M1A NM that I dearly love 1.5” at 200 yds for 20 (twenty) rounds.
But I don’t shoot it as much as my ar-10  because it’s difficult to clean.
I don’t’ shoot “Da’10” because it’s expensive to feed.
So I plink w/my ruger 10/22 or the ar-15.

Just my thoughts
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 9:29:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Springfield,

If your intentions are truly just going to the range and plinking, then the Standard M1A is the rifle you want.

The Standard($1200)has been factory headspaced to Mil Spec so this rifle is better suited for using inexpensive surplus ammo(plinking ammo @ 300 rounds/$40).  You can alway upgrade this rifle later if you choose(less money out of pocket to start).

Springfield's Loaded, National Match and Super Match have more bell and whistles, but the price ranged form $1600 to $2200(depends on the options).  Furthermore, these rifle have been factory headspaced to use commerial/match quality ammo(da big bucks @ 20 rounds/ $15).  The Standard will shoot commerial ammo as well.  Options like an accurized gas systems allows for adjustment of felt recoil and speed of bolt operation(cycling) and fiberglass bedding stabalizes the barrel better in the stock for improved accuracy.  Not really needed if you're just plinking.

Just my 2 cents......., more like 12 cents.

223REM
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 11:01:16 AM EDT
[#11]
What do I think of M1As?  Well, I've got three of them, 1 standard, 1 Supermatch both pre-ban and one I'm having built up now with a SA medium weight barrel and all USGI parts other than of course the receiver.  One caveat though, a buddy of mine just bought one of the "loaded" M1As and it had no USGI parts that I could discern, trigger group and bolt were all commercial Springfield parts - not sure of the gas system though.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 4:06:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok, a few more questions. What's the average MOA at 100-200 yards for a Standard, a "Loaded" and the National Match? It will occasionally be used for varmints and little creatures that happen to fall in my sights. I would like to get a M1A that I wont really have to modify a whole bunch to make it accurate. I guess I'm getting a little picky, but if I'm going to spend that much $, I want it to be well well worth it. I said it before, and I'm going to say it again, thanks a bunch for all your guy's help.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Accuracy depends on the shooter.  Give someone with a shakey hand a National Match, he'll get poor marks.  Where as, give a expert a Standard, he'll shoot 1 MOA.  I guess your question is now "how good of a shot am I and how good can I become?"

I own a Standard with no mods (as of yet) and I can put all 10 shot in the black @ 200yds consistently.  It was a Xmas gift so I have not had it too long.  Besides modifying your rifle is half the fun and its a good way to learn more about the it, just in case of malfunctions and general repairs.  It becomes addictive!

223REM

PS.  Don't you think a .308 is a little much for small game and varmints.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I just got a Syandard grade M1A.

I love it. It shoot great. The trigger is much better than an Ar-15.

Link Posted: 3/5/2002 6:41:52 PM EDT
[#15]
223Rem; I guess it is kind of a big round for a small animal, but it's less for me to pick up. I think I know what I will go for. Thanks for all your guy's help. And as for hg112, nice rack;o)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top