Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2002 9:51:58 PM EDT
Anyone own one?  How is the quality?  Is it worth the $1400 the local shop is asking?
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 9:59:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one

no complaints on this end, however, I don't think I paid that much for it.

GIB
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 10:06:46 PM EDT
[#2]
OK!, now you really suck!
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 10:22:02 PM EDT
[#3]
That's $300-$400 high unless this M1A is beyond the basic version.  I paid $1K for a NIB walnut stock basic version within the past year.

If you are talking match-grade stuff, maybe.

If it comes with a scope like GI Brat has, grab it immediately!
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 10:26:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
OK!, now you really suck!

Ok brother, tell me how you really feel!

GIB
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 10:46:05 PM EDT
[#5]
whats with the 3 identical shotguns?
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 10:53:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
whats with the 3 identical shotguns?

870s 20ga, 12ga and a 410

GIB
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 3:50:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 5:10:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I have two M1A's. One is a national Match and the other is a loaded Model.  Whenever I go to the range, one of these go with me.  I do belive that you can get a standers rifle for about $1000.00 from your dealer
Bill
Simper Fi
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 5:54:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I paid $1000 for mine, I guess it's been a few years. It's one of My favorites.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 6:07:15 AM EDT
[#10]
go to www.gunsamerica.com

there is a seller named
Emerson Guns and Ammo.
He is in Aubrey, TX.

I just bought a new Springfield Standard synthetic from him for $999.00

It ended up being about $1050.00 with shipping and transfer fee.

I love it, no pics yet though.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 6:33:15 AM EDT
[#11]
At the local gunshop yesterday, I looked at the M1As they had. Clearly looked different with the many cast parts (non-USGI) now. Without shooting it for an extended period of time, I can't say whether it is worth it or not. My opinion is that these rifles are not worth the $1499 that Reed's was asking. I would peg the price at $850. These rifles are not quite equal to the ones 3 to 4 years ago, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 8:17:16 AM EDT
[#12]
gee.. they were way under a $1000 15 years ago ~

adding: I know for a fact, I have one  
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 3:08:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I agree with Stator, all of the "new" Springfields I have seen including the super match have used parts on them.  On guns that start at $1000.00?  Am I missing something here?  Would you buy a $30,000 car new at the dealership with a used transmission and radiator.  Why does anyone actually buy these things when AR-10's are available?  Shoot service rifle matches-dump $2500.00 to get beat by AR's, take it hunting-don't bump it or get it wet.  I can understand buying it and not shooting it as a collectable safe-queen but they seem like REAL expensive plinkers.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought a nat'l. match Springfield Armory M1-A back in '87 from a dealer in New Jerzy; mostly TRW parts.  Paid $999.95 for it NIB. Looks like the one I qualified with at Ft. Dix in '68 while at ROTC summer camp, without the full-auto parts! Guess I had to have it for sentimental reasons. A great shooter and I recently treated her to a Springfield Armory 2nd Gen. scope and Brookfield mount. Wouldn't trade her for the world; with the possible exception of the rifle I qualified with. I wonder where the old girl is now? Maybe a chrome-plated egg-beater thanx to Slick Willie and his boys.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#15]
$1400 Seems to be the going rate around here at the local shops.  I picked up my first one that way but my others I have found online.  You see them every once in a while for $1000 or less.  The one nice thing about getting it locally is that you can check it out before you buy.
 I used to be concerned about the cast parts but don't worry about it anymore.  I have not heard of any problems with the cast parts except for a bad cast bolt I had a while back ( it was out of spec, no failure).  Springfield replaced it and I had the rifle back in no time.  The rcvr is cast and I haven't heard of any problems with them.
 The M1A is one of my favorite rifles. It is accurate, reliable and just fun to shoot.  There are a lot of accessories around and you can find spare parts all over. Get one and don't look back, you will have a fine rifle.    
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 11:50:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Bought mine about a month ago,$1,050 out the door.Mines a California model but its cool i like the break on it.
Yes they are expensive,but they are really nice rifles.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 11:57:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn, I only paid $800 for mine, NIB.  I must have done somthing wrong!

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 5:35:06 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I agree with Stator, all of the "new" Springfields I have seen including the super match have used parts on them.  On guns that start at $1000.00?  Am I missing something here?  Would you buy a $30,000 car new at the dealership with a used transmission and radiator.  Why does anyone actually buy these things when AR-10's are available?  Shoot service rifle matches-dump $2500.00 to get beat by AR's, take it hunting-don't bump it or get it wet.  I can understand buying it and not shooting it as a collectable safe-queen but they seem like REAL expensive plinkers.

I don't think you've seen "used" parts on any M1As - what you've probably seen are either USGI M14 parts (getting rare now and they "may" have been one an M14 before) or you're seeing cast repro parts. As to why people don't just buy an AR10? The M1A is known to be reliable in all climate conditions, states of cleanliness, etc. The AR10 doesn't have that reputation yet. And why would you be afraid to bump or get an M1A wet while out in the field? You can shoot that thing in a torrential downpour and drop it off the bench between mags and it won't hurt it.

Why do they cost so much? Because enough people will pay that much. I got my standard M1A for $600 about 13 years ago, when an AR15 wasn't selling for much less than they are now.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 6:02:26 AM EDT
[#19]
I already have an AR-10.

So there.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 7:34:54 AM EDT
[#20]
You need to strip the park off a cast part to see what I mean. Naked, the part should look just as horrible as mine. I think it comes down to either forging marks or casting marks. I much prefer forging marks along with the benefit of forged parts.

I should have mentioned that the standard models are going for $1400 around here. With loaded, SS barrels, NM, and SM being higer to much higher. Go out to gun action sites and you should find NIB M1As for much less than my retail stores. Additionally, the retail stores here don't want to do transfers on M1As because it will take away business from them. Compound this with the reduction of independent FLLs, it is getting bad here in the bay area.

This ranting aside, I feel the best reasons for buying one are:

1- you live in CA and want to start shooting in service rifle matches. Even then, I've notice that the M1As don't outshoot the Garands in the matches at all. So you may want to just shoot the Garand and live with the two-round clip problem and the single loading hassle.

2- you are collecting and want an M1A in your collection to round it out... big three semi-auto service rifles/M1, M14, AR15 (or M16 if you are lucky).

3- It brings back memories of boot camp or past service.

The problem with the M1As are that good parts are just too darn expensive compared to ARs. You will throw more than twice the price trying to get match accuracy and/or maintaining that accuracy. Plus, you will never really approach the accuracy of the AR with the same ease of doing so.

Some people will point out the classic AR problem of "sh!tin& where it eats". This is not a concern service rifle matches due to the low round count used in the match. Also, more matches are being held on reduced courses which favors the AR with the much lower recoil for the sitting rapid fire and the prone rapid fire. Since more rounds are fired in the 600 yard prone than any other, reduced courses also favor the AR here.

Yep, M1As are great for newcomers in CA. Springfield must really like the situation here in CA as it favors their product line. What ever happened to equal rights. I don't see it at the firing line.

Link Posted: 3/3/2002 7:47:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Well, I guess I can admit that I have an M1A too.  I'm w/ the other 'posters', I picked mine up for $925..... and it included 5-20 rnd military mags, 1-5 round hunting mag & hard case.  All that for $925.... granted it was 'used'. It's a plane jane model.
And the best part.... , it's a pre ban.

The $1400.... depends on what it is.  Go to gunsamerica.com and do a search on the M1A's to get a feel on the prices.  That's all I can say.

Link Posted: 3/3/2002 9:54:44 AM EDT
[#22]
schapman

I own two and they are good to go.  It was the first rifle I learned how to shoot.

The quality of the Springfield Armory is very good.  I have yet to have a malfunction and I shoot surplus ammo.  

1400 dollars for a GI rack grade rifle is too steep.  Unless it is the "Loaded" rifle package or National Match then that is a fair price.  950-1000 is a very good find for a LNIB standard M1A.

I find that the M1A standard grade rifle will suit most shooters needs.  The extras are out there but are really not necessary.  Like everyone here is saying, for a competion gun shoot the AR-15.  It's cheaper and there are more custom options.  The Sniper version of the M1A will set you back 2500 or more.

The M1A is a very good rifle.  I have shot the Military M14, M1As, and the Israeli Defense Force M14.  They all shot well.

Bottom line buy one and you won't regret it.  

Max
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 1:04:22 PM EDT
[#23]
buy that M1A u won`t be disappointed. It was the first rifle I got after I turned 18{saved all year long for it} but the thing shoots accuratly.and it`s as reliable as an AK.Course its a hell of alot more accurate.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 1:41:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought a new plain M1A, black syn stock for $950 two years ago. It has a H&R barrel, trw bolt, trw trigger group, and US Springfield op rod. Very solid. Very nice.
One year ago I bought a new basic M1A in a new walnut stock for $1150. Springfield Inc. op rod, trigger group and bolt. It has a SACO barrel. It is VERY accurate. I have replaced the Springfield Inc parts with TRW bolt,TRW op rod, and TRW trigger group(all from  the CMP).  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top