Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2004 12:10:16 PM EDT
Does nayone make a decent speedloader for a Remington 870?  Decent, to me, means robust, reliable, compact, well designed (not a kluge add-on),...

Who makes the best (price is not an object)?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:42:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:04:52 PM EDT
[#2]
The Tec loaders have been discussed at length in past threads here, they are fine for competition but way too unrealiable for defensive use... Just practice loading, and get a dump pouch.

And as far as I know they are the only game in town for speed loaders....
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:11:19 PM EDT
[#3]
What's a "dump pouch"?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:28:03 PM EDT
[#4]
"Dump pouch"...pouch holding several rounds of shotshell ammo...usually loose and in no particular order...or at least that is what it means to me. I would say that you can do a bit better for range use with a belt slide holding several rounds securely. I do not like the SideSaddle thingys, so I would much rather have spare rounds at belt level, but others DO like 'em. I was taught to shoot one or two rounds and reload one or two, so the issue of excess ammo is not a major one for me. I actually use a single Rogers / Safariland belt clip holding two spare rounds and that's all. More than that and I go for the M4!
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:43:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Is this for competition or for defense?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:55:29 PM EDT
[#6]
My shotgun is for self defense.

I don't like the side saddle thingies, either.

Do they make dump pouches that hold the ammo securely?  If you have to run or hit the dirt wearing one of those pouches I see ausually see, the ammo will fall out - not good.

A sling is too loose, making retrieval too difficult/slow.  Bandoliers are fast to grab and don but loose-fitting.

An ammo belt with velcro closure (Safariland underbelt-type) would make a lot of sense.  Anyone make something like this?

I did a search for past threads on this subject but it came up empty.  Tell me more about the Tec Loaders.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:13:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Forget about the Tec Loaders if this is for self defense. The primary problem we had with them is that the bracket that you attach to your gun is too flimsy and will do the splits on you while trying to load, making the loading tube slip off to one side. The only way they would work well is if you line it up just right and then violently cram the whole thing in fast. This wasnt reliable enough for any of us on the Cavalry Arms Shooting Team as we tend to practice the way we play.

Have you actually tried the Side Saddle style holders? Why do you dislike them so much? There are more out there than just the plastic Tac Star ones. The 3Gun Gear systems work great and are the standard for all three gun/practical shooting competitions.

Dump pouches work fine for "running and hitting the dirt" as thats what I do with mine on a regular basis. You just have to pick one that has either a self closing top, or a pull cord style top like the 3Gun Gear one that I use. "See pics below"

What kind of defense work are you doing that you require more than whats in/on the gun anyways? If its just in your home get a side saddle or just keep a box of shells next to your bed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top