Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
Armory Sponsor
9/1/2024 4:51:51 PM EDT
Today I went out and shot the Spear 308 for accuracy.

On a bipod with no rear bag.

Optic: PA SLX 1-6 Nova

Suppressor: YHM R9

M80 ball, M118LR and 168FGMM.

Distance: 100 yards

Wind SE at 10 mph, gust up to 15.

Cool down: none except to reload … this gun handles heat like a champ!

I will say, the gun is overgassed ... ejects shy of 3 o'clock with a can on suppressor setting ... I may play around with drilling a relief hole into the gas plug like a SCAR. I would wager I could get better results with a tamed down, tuned Spear. I know KNS has put a gas plug on a R&D schedule for us Spear 308 guys ... so if you own a Spear 308/6.8 gun ... reach out to them ... more people that reach out, the faster we get one!

Only mods are a Magpul MOE PR stock and YHM QD Brake ... I will say ... the MOE PR stock makes a huge difference ... the factory stock is just too tiny ...

It is a very easy gun to clean ... not sure what coating Sig is using on the bolt carrier group but carbon dust just wipes right off ... gas piston was the same ...

Happy to report, no mag issues with PMAGs.

M80 ball - 15 shot:

Cadence of fire: once I re-acquired the target I squeeze the trigger. So fairly “rapid”. By shot 12-13, I was getting gassed out pretty good so threw some shots, 15th shot was 100% on me.

Attached File


M118LR - 6 shot:

Cadence of fire: accurate, slow fire. This was two, three shot groups stacked. Loaded 3 shots, shot three … reload … shot three.

Attached File


168 FGMM - 6 shot:

Cadence of fire: accurate, slow fire. This was two, three shot groups stacked. Loaded 3 shots, shot three … reload … shot three.

Attached File
9/3/2024 12:58:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Not bad. Better than what others have achieved. I take it you inspected and tightened the barrel nut/screws and handguard prior to the test?
9/3/2024 7:55:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Quote History
Quoted:
Not bad. Better than what others have achieved. I take it you inspected and tightened the barrel nut/screws and handguard prior to the test?
View Quote


I checked the torque on the gun when I got it ..., but I haven't touched it since ...

For a non-precision gun, I am happy with the results!
9/3/2024 9:18:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Much better than my first Spear was capable of, even when it worked through an entire mag without screwing the pooch.  Here's hoping my current one performs like that.
9/3/2024 6:14:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quote History
Quoted:
Much better than my first Spear was capable of, even when it worked through an entire mag without screwing the pooch.  Here's hoping my current one performs like that.
View Quote


Yeah it worked well without issues for me. Pleasant shooting experience.

Can’t wait to have some gas tuning options for it.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

Armory Sponsor