Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/24/2010 9:43:25 PM EDT
[#1]
My original question could have clearer. In addition to the order form and proof of citizenship, what other information must you provide if you are retired military?
Link Posted: 11/24/2010 9:53:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Contact customer service, why take the word of someone on the interent only to find out they were wrong and delay your order
Link Posted: 11/24/2010 9:54:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M1G] [#3]
Also if ordering a rifle you cannot FAX the order, it must be mailed.

This should answer your original question
http://www.thecmp.org/eligibility.htm
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 10:09:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By raf:
1) I very much doubt the M1917 Enfield bayonet fits any other US rifle.

True as stated.

Two points to consider:

1.  The M1917 bayonet does fit the U.S. made, British issued P14 rifle.

2.  The M1917 bayonet does fit U.S. riot guns which have the proper metal handguard installed.  This bayonet, or at least parts for it, was being produced as late as the 1960s for this reason.

For more info, see Bayonet Points 10, 11, and 21.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 10:13:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Izhevsk54r:
My original question could have clearer. In addition to the order form and proof of citizenship, what other information must you provide if you are retired military?

A photocopy of your retiree ID card proves firearms activity and membership in an affiliated organization.  If you are an officer, it can also serve as proof of citizenship.

Link Posted: 3/27/2011 1:54:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By jimmy2spot:
New to this forum and have a bad case of M1 fever. Looking to buy my first. I am eligible to buy from the CMP but don't want to wait 4-6 months and I"m frustrated by the wildly varying prices and conditions of the few rifles I've seen. I don't need a match grade or museum piece. Looking in the $700 - $1k range. Where else can I buy with confidence? What to be aware of? Gunbroker has a lot and I see a few at gun shows. Thanks.

ETA: Dog1, that's a sweet looking Garand. What's her story? Current price on a similar rifle?

for what it's worth, i think the CMP rebuilt rifles for about $1000 are a freakin' steal.  brand new armory remanufactured gun, new stock, all the accessories for $995?  i know your post is 3 years old, and you prolly won't be checking this thread, and no, i don't own a rebuilt unit from 'em, but they sure do look nice.  new barrels and everything.  shazaam sargent carter, where do i sign up?  

-tom
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 12:54:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By tommygs:
Originally Posted By jimmy2spot:
New to this forum and have a bad case of M1 fever. Looking to buy my first. I am eligible to buy from the CMP but don't want to wait 4-6 months and I"m frustrated by the wildly varying prices and conditions of the few rifles I've seen. I don't need a match grade or museum piece. Looking in the $700 - $1k range. Where else can I buy with confidence? What to be aware of? Gunbroker has a lot and I see a few at gun shows. Thanks.

ETA: Dog1, that's a sweet looking Garand. What's her story? Current price on a similar rifle?

for what it's worth, i think the CMP rebuilt rifles for about $1000 are a freakin' steal.  brand new armory remanufactured gun, new stock, all the accessories for $995?  i know your post is 3 years old, and you prolly won't be checking this thread, and no, i don't own a rebuilt unit from 'em, but they sure do look nice.  new barrels and everything.  shazaam sargent carter, where do i sign up?  

-tom

Also, looks like the wait is nowhere near 4-6 months.  My first CMP Garand is due to arrive on Monday which will make it almost one month exactly since sending my paperwork off.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 10:25:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Great.  First I get Black Rifle Disease.....now I get Brown Rifle Disease....

thanks
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 12:03:21 AM EDT
[#9]
The feeling of holding a Garand in your hands is second to none. They are all about the red, white, and blue.
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 6:13:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#10]
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 11:43:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Peterbilt2007] [#11]
Originally Posted By raf:
I'm thinking of putting an unfired-by-me, all-correct, DCM, HRA Garand in the EE  A little finish wear on the op-rod handle, and a few other high points.  99% finish, for sure.  Birch stock and handguards; correct for late-mfd HRA rifles.

All Mfd ID"d parts are HRA.

With correct sling, correct bayonet/scabbard/cleaning kit, of course.  And a  repro T37 pronged flash-suppressor.

Hard to find an M1 in this condition., with papers and all.  Got very lucky WAY back, before the current grading system.

Drop-in collectible.  No muss, no fuss.

And  original shipping box/packaging.

Might want to wear sunglasses when looking down the bore.  Not kidding; like a silver miror..........

Just thinking........................

Don't do it. You may regret getting rid of it one day. Sounds like a nice rifle. Most gun owners have at least 1 buying or selling regret. Not a good feeling. Good Luck.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 4:21:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GoodOlDave] [#12]
Originally Posted By M1G:
You cant buy a Garand by the way it looks. You could be looking at a reparkerized worn out rifle that is nothing more than a fancy boat anchor.
Do yourself a favor, send in your order for a  CMP Service Grade and a bunch of ammo. Set back and wait. You will be sorry you didnt when the supply is gone

I know this is an obsolete thread but I just had to put in my .02 cents...I was lucky enough to pick up one of the Korean Blue Sky imports back in the '80s. (for $300...it was a whole other world back then).  It's about as mismatched as a Garand can get, with a 1942 Springfield receiver, Winchester barrel, National Match op rod, and heavy weave Korean war web sling.  It was reparkerized and the original wood looked like it was dragged in back of a pickup truck so I replaced it with an arsenal refinished stock.  Plus, it has the importer's name stamped on the barrel like so much graffiti.

In short, my Garand has zero collector's value but it's still an absolutely fun gun and shoots absolutely reliably.  I still get the rush from that satisfying PING just as any other Garand shooter gets.  Don't sell the "reparkerized boat anchors" short, because at the end of the day I can have a heck of a lot of fun with my Frankenstein Garand, while someone with a $4000 rarity can only sit and look at it lest it knocks off $500 from its value by firing it.  

I challenge anyone here to look into this Garand's eyes and tell it you wouldn't want to have anything to do with it...

Link Posted: 12/6/2011 11:32:24 AM EDT
[#13]
put my order form in the mail yesterday
I already own one that I got at a gun show a few years ago, but I figured I'd get more before the CMP gets down to nothing and/or has to hike prices way up
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 11:42:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I will be ordering a Service Grade Garand this week and cannot wait to own this piece of history
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 2:21:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I just had to add my two cents. Today is Friday, 6 April 2012. Just put my order to CMP down range, via the USPS. Right now the only rifle they are selling is the various grades of M1 Garand. I ordered the Special which is listed as Excellent condition. I saw one about a week ago at an M1 clinic. Yes it has a new GI standard stock of black walnut, oil finished and looks great. Also a new barrel. Everything else is refinished GI. It is CMP legal for their matches. A bit pricey at $995.00 but you can see M1's all day long in gun shops for as much or more and they look like crap. Just in case November is a fiasco, better get it now.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Hopsaregood:
I just had to add my two cents. Today is Friday, 6 April 2012. Just put my order to CMP down range, via the USPS. Right now the only rifle they are selling is the various grades of M1 Garand. I ordered the Special which is listed as Excellent condition. I saw one about a week ago at an M1 clinic. Yes it has a new GI standard stock of black walnut, oil finished and looks great. Also a new barrel. Everything else is refinished GI. It is CMP legal for their matches. A bit pricey at $995.00 but you can see M1's all day long in gun shops for as much or more and they look like crap. Just in case November is a fiasco, better get it now.

I also sent my order today, for a service grade HRA, first Garand through the CMP, super excited.
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 6:50:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Vulch:
Originally Posted By Hopsaregood:

I also sent my order today, for a service grade HRA, first Garand through the CMP, super excited.

I am taking the brown jump also. Set it off yesterday and good luck to everyone!!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 5:34:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ret_Puddle_Pirate] [#19]
I also, the other day submitted my paperwork for a Springfield Service Grade.  I want an older stock.  One with character.  

The last time I held one was in Recruit Training.  Super excited!

Maybe, I'm going through mid-life crisis!!  Reverting back to young adulthood..

Link Posted: 1/30/2013 6:50:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I have the opportunity to trade for an ADI Lithgow M1 and do not know much about them so my questions are: What is it worth even given the current market? And also what's it worth quality wise?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 8:21:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By BBOHACH:
I have the opportunity to trade for an ADI Lithgow M1 and do not know much about them so my questions are: What is it worth even given the current market? And also what's it worth quality wise?

Thanks

1.  Whatever you can get for it.  A poor quality, aftermarket cast-receiver M1, out of spec.  Do some googling.  No gunsmith likes them - especially when millions were made by SA, Winchester, H&R, Beretta/Breda.

2. Crap.  Get a CMP rifle.  You will not regret it.  You will regret the ADI.  The only connection with the quality Lithgow Enfields is the name.  This is NOT a military firearm.  The M1 was designed to be made from a forging, and there are shortcuts in the design - especially the safety bridge - that are machined indifferently.

At a time when barreled receivers are $250 and up, and CMP has new M1 barrels in .30-'06 and .308, there is no excuse to buy the Lithgow.  I'm curious, what are you trading?
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 8:54:43 PM EDT
[#22]
my first of two CMP Garands arrives this week, very excited
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 10:54:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Excellent links and information.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 12:15:41 PM EDT
[#24]
this thread helped me so much, i thank everyone who put it together and helped
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:55:06 PM EDT
[#25]
So many hoops to jump through to buy one...I dreamed I was killing Nazis with one this morning, now I want one.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:30:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By knifewrench:
So many hoops to jump through to buy one...I dreamed I was killing Nazis with one this morning, now I want one.
View Quote

Not really...Just sent in my paperwork the other day. Waiting :)

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 11:43:20 PM EDT
[#27]
I've been giving some serious thought to buying a Garand.  It's about the only firearm I don't have that I'd like to own.  Recently we found out my wife is pregnant with our first child.  I said if it's a boy, on the day he's born I'm going to buy an M1 and one day pass it on to him.

Went to the doctor today.  We're having a girl.  

So now I'm thinking...maybe a Glock 26.  That would be nice for her when she gets her own place.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:15:04 AM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By pariahcarey:

I've been giving some serious thought to buying a Garand.  It's about the only firearm I don't have that I'd like to own.  Recently we found out my wife is pregnant with our first child.  I said if it's a boy, on the day he's born I'm going to buy an M1 and one day pass it on to him.

Went to the doctor today.  We're having a girl.  

So now I'm thinking...maybe a Glock 26.  That would be nice for her when she gets her own place.
View Quote
How about getting a M1 carbine on the day SHE is born to one day pass on to HER?

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#29]
I'll be sending in my paperwork for my first M1 on Monday.I'm going to get a service grade in 30-06. Hopefully my IL CCW classes will suffice for the marksmanship or other related activity requirement.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:26:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By ratuna:
I'll be sending in my paperwork for my first M1 on Monday.I'm going to get a service grade in 30-06. Hopefully my IL CCW classes will suffice for the marksmanship or other related activity requirement.
View Quote

that will be enough. Good luck i'm sure you'll get something nice
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By FearCampaign59:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FearCampaign59:

You are correct, that was enough. I sent in the paperwork on the 1st and FedEx attempted delivery yesterday but nobody was home. Now I'm just waiting for the FedEx location to open so I can go get my M1, I feel like a little kid waiting to open presents on Xmas morning!
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:48:06 AM EDT
[#32]
let us know what you get
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 12:44:43 PM EDT
[#33]
So here it is my new to me springfield M1 Garand.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 4:31:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Looks nice I love the patina.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Just wish it had a stock with some history. Oh well, can't wait to shoot it tomorrow!
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:47:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bending_rodriguez] [#36]
Just wish it had a stock with some history. Oh well, can't wait to shoot it tomorrow!
View Quote

Looks great!  How was it?

Just shot my buddies a few days ago.  My first experience with an M1.

............My paperwork is going out tomorrow for a Service grade

Like you, I'm hoping for a stock with some history.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:24:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Good Morning Gents
I just got my First M1 Garand from CMP it shows it is a Korean vintage  with the correct parts except the trigger housing which is not correct ,  On ammo I read a few blogs about the  surplus ammo that is out there,  J&G Sales has some that they say  30-06 POF 150gr FMJ Loaded on Garand Clips, Non-Corrosive, 240rds. for $187.92 to my shop, My suppliers are all out right now of this, Is this a good deal or a very bad deal on ammo for the Rifle.
Any Help would rally be appreciated
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:31:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By bending_rodriguez:

View All Quotes

It shot flawlessly, all I did was turn the rear sight all the way down then back up 7 clicks and it was right on at the 50yd range.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 7:06:16 PM EDT
[#39]
How long does it take GCA to send out membership information after signing up online?
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 7:43:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By costanza:
How long does it take GCA to send out membership information after signing up online?
View Quote

IIRC 1 or 2 days, if you join on a weekday I believe it is right away.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:49:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: costanza] [#41]
Originally Posted By BGENE:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BGENE:
Originally Posted By costanza:

So if I joined on the 8th, I should have received something by now?

Call off the dogs, package received today!
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:17:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vinny302] [#42]
Originally Posted By GoodOlDave:
, because at the end of the day I can have a heck of a lot of fun with my Frankenstein Garand, while someone with a $4000 rarity can only sit and look at it lest it knocks off $500 from its value by firing it.  
View Quote

99% of Garands in the hands of the public are (hate the term) Frankensein Garand. There are very few, very few, very few (cant say it enough) original Garands around as they all have been through arsenal refurb. Here is my Garand purchased from CMP over 20 years ago.

Vince
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:56:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BullseyeAg] [#43]
I have Garand fever!  I'm saving up, but I'm still probably about two months away from being able to order my first one through the CMP.  I intend to shoot the Garand for fun and possibly in High Power matches.

Should I order a service grade rifle for $730, and over the summer as funds allow order two cases of Greek ammo, or should I wait until the end of summer and order the $1,030 special grade?  If I order the special grade it'll be another month or two before I can order any ammo.  

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:48:55 PM EDT
[#44]
I would order the service grade. If you do not like it you can always sell it at a profit and order another.

Vince
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:26:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks to all those who've contributed to this thread. Great info. I'm sending in my CMP paperwork tomorrow for a Service Grade. I've been shooting for 30+ years and have never wanted a particular gun this much. I just can't wait to get my hands on this piece of American history. After reading so much about WWII over the past few years, and having recently finished watching WWII in HD, I'm so ready to be the proud owner of an M1.

Quick question about ammo - is it better to just stick to M2 surplus or deal with getting a new gas plug? Will the new gas plug allow any 30.06 to be shot out of the M1?

As for pricing/quality, CMP has Greek M2 for $130 for 200 rds. I found some M2 surplus here too M1 Garand Food.

Any insight on ammo would be greatly appreciated.

Again, thanks for all the great info in this thread.

Look forward to joining the M1 club!
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:29:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ret_Puddle_Pirate] [#46]
Congrats!

I'd go with the Greek.  Good stuff.  I would not bother with changing the gas plug.....But then again, I bought a shitload of Greek!

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:54:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Thanks for the confirmation on the Greek. The price sure is right.

One more question - from what I've read CMP sells rifle that have been inspected, headspaced, repaired if necessary and test fired for function. Wondering if I should still have it checked out by a local gunsmith before heading to the range or are CMP rifles good to go as is?

Last question (for now), CMP sells 25 clips for $20. Seems like a good price and supports a good cause. Any reason not to purchase clips from CMP?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:06:51 AM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By Ty_Webb:

Thanks for the confirmation on the Greek. The price sure is right.

One more question - from what I've read CMP sells rifle that have been inspected, headspaced, repaired if necessary and test fired for function. Wondering if I should still have it checked out by a local gunsmith before heading to the range or are CMP rifles good to go as is?

Last question (for now), CMP sells 25 clips for $20. Seems like a good price and supports a good cause. Any reason not to purchase clips from CMP?
View Quote
If you can find a gunsmith that knows Garands - Can't hurt.  Might cost a few bucks - but if it saves you from a "KaBoom".  Trouble is most gunsmiths don't know jack about Garands or Carbines.

I just stripped mine, cleaned it, lube/oiled it and shot it.  Worked just fine.  Do what your "gut" tells you.

As to the En bloc.  I bought 20.  More then enough for me, so I'd get the 25.

Last.  Get a can of this from Brownell's.  It will last you a lifetime of shooting.

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:43:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Figured I'd throw this up here!  Maybe entice some guys who are on the fence

TY-webb.  It certainly wont hurt to put in a ported gas plug.  I use the one from garandgear.  It allows you to shoot any 30.06.  If you run out of ammo and want to shoot, you can grab some winchester from walmart.  It opens up your options.  I still mainly shoot M2 ball, but I like knowing I can shoot anything.  
I would say that from the CMP the rifle is SAFE.  But it may not function perfectly.  The springs are sometimes too old.  An easy fix is to also grab a spring kit form garandgear and install all of them.  It lets you get familiar with the rifle at the same time.  I got mine in january and was having issues.....replaced all the springs and its running fantastic now.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 3:09:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Figured I'd throw this up here!  Maybe entice some guys who are on the fence
https://youtu.be/6JJobJQqg30

TY-webb.  It certainly wont hurt to put in a ported gas plug.  I use the one from garandgear.  It allows you to shoot any 30.06.  If you run out of ammo and want to shoot, you can grab some winchester from walmart.  It opens up your options.  I still mainly shoot M2 ball, but I like knowing I can shoot anything.  
I would say that from the CMP the rifle is SAFE.  But it may not function perfectly.  The springs are sometimes too old.  An easy fix is to also grab a spring kit form garandgear and install all of them.  It lets you get familiar with the rifle at the same time.  I got mine in january and was having issues.....replaced all the springs and its running fantastic now.

Good luck!
View Quote

Awesome video.  I just got mine last week.  Ordered on 3/18 received it 5/11.  Reciever in the 2.9m range, I'm really looking forward to getting it out on the range.

Nice job sneaking that CQBR in there

Only pic that I have atm, true potato style.  The stock has a lot of wear which I absolutely love.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top