Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2005 5:09:02 PM EDT
I took my M48 out for the first time today. The windage was right on but my elevation is way high even with it set to the lowest position. It shoots high at 50 yds, 100 yds, and 200 yds. Being there is no adjustment to zero the elevation, how do I get my yugo on target? Do I just have to aim lower or is there a way to fix this. Maybe my sight picture is wrong. I am lining up the front post so the tip fills the notch on the rear sight but not so it goes over the notch. Is this wrong?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:21:47 PM EDT
[#1]
This is typical.  They are zeroed for 300 yards.  You can buy taller front sights and file them to fit.

How high does it shoot?

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I took my M48 out for the first time today. The windage was right on but my elevation is way high even with it set to the lowest position. It shoots high at 50 yds, 100 yds, and 200 yds. Being there is no adjustment to zero the elevation, how do I get my yugo on target? Do I just have to aim lower or is there a way to fix this. Maybe my sight picture is wrong. I am lining up the front post so the tip fills the notch on the rear sight but not so it goes over the notch. Is this wrong?

Thanks

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:18:32 PM EDT
[#2]
It shoots about 8-10 inches high at 100 yds
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:35:03 PM EDT
[#3]
My yugo also shoots about 10 inches high at 100 yards. The only way to change this is to trade out the front site for a taller one.

Brownells sell a mauser front site blank for 13.95 part number is 078-050-000(i think).
All you do is install the site, shoot to find out where you hit. File down the site till you are zeroed.
I have not done this yet for my yugo, but it is a future project for after hunting season.

If you want to put on a scope, try elite-mounts for the yugo mount. All you have to do is remove the rear site and install the mount in the site holes.(another project, dear lord they seem to multiply)
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:03:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I would shift my POA to hit where I want it to.........you go replacing the front sight and filing it down will be OK for the batch of ammo you have, but buy another country's ammo and you will have a different POI......you'll end up buying a bunch of front sights, and filing them down for each ammo you will buy........all ammo is not equal, what POA and POI is good for  one type,  may not be the same for another.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:55:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I installed a Mojo rear sight on my M48.  It's a five minute install and is adjustable for windage and elevation.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:21:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Hoppy: I like the sound of that Mojo sight. Who sells them and how much are they? I do plan on mounting a scope but I like to have my irons working right also. I was looking at the iron elite mount. There was a good review on surplusrifle.com.

ar15hookem: is the iron elite the same mount you are refering to, the one that puts the scope over the bolt so you can use a standard eye-relief scope? Or is it one that needs an extended relief scope?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:34:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hoppy: I like the sound of that Mojo sight. Who sells them and how much are they? I do plan on mounting a scope but I like to have my irons working right also. I was looking at the iron elite mount. There was a good review on surplusrifle.com.

ar15hookem: is the iron elite the same mount you are refering to, the one that puts the scope over the bolt so you can use a standard eye-relief scope? Or is it one that needs an extended relief scope?

The iron-elite allows for standard eye-relief.  Unless I'm mistaken, it's just off-center towards the left, so the bolt will work correctly without bumping the scope.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:49:53 PM EDT
[#8]
SHOOTIN4FUN the Iron elite mount puts the scope slightly to the left. This allows the bolt to clear the scope when operated. The only modification to the rifle is the removal of the rear site.
Look at surplusrifles.com. They show how to install the mount on a m48 and how it looks when complete.

As for the frontsite replacement. If you hand load, develop a load to work with the blade you file.

Actually, if you get the front site where you want it. Changing ammo ie: bullet weight, should not make that much difference if the weight is not more then 30 grains. However ammo condition will matter. I suggest a front site set for a hunting round made by federal or pmc. Mount a scope for hunting and set it for a hunting load. Then use surplus ammo for plinking. The pattern should stay inside the diameter of a paper plate. this is good enough for ooohhhhh idon't know varmit(looter) controll at 100 yards.

If you control windidge(left or right) hits then elevation does not matter(you can compensate by aiming low or high).

hope this helps
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Midway has them.  The ones listed for the K98 fit the M48.  I used the rear sight only as the front peep sight listed will not fit under the M48 front sight hood.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:00:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:47:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks guys looks like I need to get the mojo sights and that iron elite mount. Too bad you cant have them both mounted at the same time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top