Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2009 5:57:49 PM EDT
School me on scopes for the M1A/M14 platform (not scout or SOCOM). What are you guys using now? What scopes have you not been happy with & why? I am thinking about a variable med to long range scope. Price although always a consideration is not primary. Best? Worst?

Thanks for input.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I opted for a  Leupold  Mark 4 3.5-10x40mm LR/T with Illuminated TMR Reticle on my Crazy Horse M21A5 EBR

Link Posted: 6/2/2009 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#2]
H2O, nice rifle!

Anyone using the Springfield Armory scopes? Good/Bad?
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 6:37:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
H2O, nice rifle!

Anyone using the Springfield Armory scopes? Good/Bad?

I would go with a better scope . My last M-14 build got a Pride Fowler scope and I really like it . 1000+ rounds through the gun and it still holds a zero . Pic of a Pride Fowler scope on a LRB M-14 that I shot a while back . Their website . http://www.rapidreticle.com/ I have shot with their military and LE rep and and it is a quality product .

Link Posted: 6/2/2009 6:45:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Their new 1-4x24 Illuminated looks like it would be real nice on my MK14 ... http://www.rapidreticle.com/1-4_Illuminated.htm
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I would go with a better scope . My last M-14 build got a Pride Fowler scope and I really like it . 1000+ rounds through the gun and it still holds a zero . Pic of a Pride Fowler scope on a LRB M-14 that I shot a while back . Their website . http://www.rapidreticle.com/ I have shot with their military and LE rep and and it is a quality product .

Which scope it that? How clear are the optics?

Link Posted: 6/2/2009 9:36:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I love my ST-10 with the mil-scale reticle on my National Match.

http://www.usoptics.com/product.php?partnumber=ST-1000
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 7:32:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a Nikon Buckmaster Mil-dot 6x18x40 on mine and I love it.  I have shot the hell out of my SA M1A Loaded and the Nikon has held like a champ.  I have packed it through every type of weather you can dream of and it has not failed me.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a Nikon Buckmaster Mil-dot 6x18x40 on mine and I love it.  I have shot the hell out of my SA M1A Loaded and the Nikon has held like a champ.  I have packed it through every type of weather you can dream of and it has not failed me.

Are you using the "tactical" knobs or the standard ones with the caps on...

I'm alittle unsure of the scope integrity with just the tac knobs.....

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 6:26:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Anyone using one of these?

McCann Industries Scope Mount
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 5:34:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Leupold Mark 4 16X on a Basset mount.
I think it's a good compromise between size, magnification and field of view.
I do NOT think a more powerful scope would make the platform more accurate.
From my experiences, it's not a sub-moa platform and is NOT capable of pinpoint accuracy no matter how much you spend on scope and mount.
A Savage 110 or Rem 700 is MUCH more accurate, imho.
Flame me if you want..but my Rem 700 VSSF outshoots my SAI and LRB Tweaked Platforms every day...with stock ammo versus tuned handloads.
The M1A is a decent 1.5 MOA gun that can be improved with a lot of money and excellent gunsmithing ..but for the money..the extra money on a super 'Scope-Mount is not worth it.
I can get 3-4 shot-touching rounds with the M14's, but then I get a flyer or 2 no matter how careful I am and I am convinced it's a great battle gun, but sucks as a pinpoint precision shooter....which it was never designed to be.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:24:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I have on order (backorder) a Leupold Mark IV 4.5-14 illuminated for my M21. I choose this scope over the US optics one I wanted partly due to price, but I thought I might try Barrets B.O.R.S  on it later on when they bring out one to fit the illuminated Leupold models. My set up scope when it comes in will be mounted to a Sadlak AB mount.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top