Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2002 5:44:22 AM EDT
One more question about my likely 700 LTR purchase.  I was initially going to go for the Badger rings/base, but decided I really don't need to 20MOA cant.  I think I'm going to go with the IOR setup with their flat one-piece base and rings instead.

I'm presuming the medium rings on this base would be sufficiently high to use with a scope with a 40mm objective(specifically, leupold vari-x III 3.5-10x M3 LR), correct?  IOR's website does not list the height of the rings, and has less height offering than the badger options.  

Thanks,
Rocko
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 8:55:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I think the medium height rings will work just fine. My medium Leupold QRW rings give more than adequate clearance for a Tasco Super Sniper - 42mm objective - with a one piece PRI base. HTH
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 4:58:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Go with the Badger Ordnance setup.  You say you dont need the 20 moa slant now but just wait.  You will kick yourself later if you dont.

Scott

Link Posted: 7/12/2002 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Go with the Badger Ordnance setup.  You say you dont need the 20 moa slant now but just wait.  You will kick yourself later if you dont.

Scott

That's what I was thinking at first, but in reading some things over at snipercountry.com, I changed my mind.  Most of the postings/articles suggest against using a canted base unless you plan on using it.  Since it sits higher, a good cheek weld becomes a problem - it also adds considerably to the weight.   There really aren't any 1000yd ranges for me to shoot at here, and to be quite honest, I don't think my skills are up to that right now away.  Besides, with its 20" barrel, the LTR isn't realy meant to be a long range rifle.  Zeroed on my last rifle, I still had 54 minutes of upward elevation left on the scope as well, so that should take me out pretty far...

Rocko
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Plus Badger Ordinance is giving a mid-november time frame for 700 LA bases. I'd go with the Valdada base and rings.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 8:00:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Scott

That's what I was thinking at first, but in reading some things over at snipercountry.com, I changed my mind.  Most of the postings/articles suggest against using a canted base unless you plan on using it.  Since it sits higher, a good cheek weld becomes a problem - it also adds considerably to the weight.  
Rocko

I guess I'm a bit confused by your statements.  The height difference between the bases is almost unoticed.  Here is the badger ordnance rail with the 20 MOA rail.

and here is the Leupold without it.

As you can see the height isnt a big difference.  I'm not sure where you are coming from on the weight issue either.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 3:34:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Rocko, you may also try the ring and base setup offered by ironbrigadearmory.com.
They offer the 20deg base with the bottom rings permanently attached to the base. Ask for Norm Chandler Sr or his son Norm Jr. They can explain the setup better than I.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#7]
The tilt between the straight and the angled is almost unnoticeable.
If you don't want to wait, I'd check out the Chandler mounts, or the Baer ones.  Ideally Badger would be the first choice.  May sound silly, but I'd rather give the money to Marty at Badger (or Baer or Chandler) and keep it in the USA as opposed to some foreign company.
Later,
R
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top