Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2003 6:30:33 PM EST
I just picked up a new 700 chambered in the 338 Ultra this gun has a few problems one being the extractor. I was somewhat skeptical of this purchase as I have had two extractor failures and know of many more on 700 Remingtons. Just curious, but have any of you had extractor problems with your 700's?
Have a nice evening, Rabon...
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:56:11 AM EST
No problems here, and the rifle just passed the 2K mark last year, but then again the rifle is in .308 not .338
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:28:33 AM EST
Send it back and advise Big Green that you will keep us posted.
They are having a lot of problems with thier magnum bolt guns.
Check the chamber for tool marks and burrs as well.
You can have a Sako style extracter installed but that WILL void the warranty.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:26:52 AM EST
No problem on any of my 700's.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 8:35:58 AM EST
I bought a NIB Rem 700 ADL in 300 Win Mag for my brother last year. It suffered from a rough chamber (burr) and is at a local Remington warranty center as I type waiting for a new extractor.

Seems as if Big Green quality is tanking. I have owned a lot of Remington products with no problems, but that doesn'r appear to be holding true for newer guns.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 8:40:53 AM EST
I've had one failure to extract on my 7 mag. I found that I had a build-up of carbon in the chamber. After cleaning it out I haven't had a problem since. I do my own reloading so you'd think I'd have the potential for more problems?

Mark in Utah
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 8:44:40 AM EST

Originally Posted By OldTiger:
No problem on any of my 700's.

No problems on any of the one's I have bought new. I have one problem right now that is likely only going to take $35 to repair. It would appear that my Sendero 300 has a rough spot at 2 o'clock in the chamber. G-Smith is polishing it now and it should be good to go. The gun had probably been shot 700 times when I bought it.

However, I would not discount Remington for a rough chamber. On a $600 dollar gun there is bound to be some issues on some of them. Hell, my Armalite AR10 had worse issues than that and it was $1000.

Ed
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:47:29 PM EST
Rabon, Have your gunsmith install a Sako style extractor on your Remington. I had one put on my father's Rem 300 Win Mag and since have had no failures. The price was $100 installed. The Sako extractor is a much better design.

Here's a number to the gentleman that did the work for me. Of course you'll want someone local to do it but he can describe to you the process better than I can.

Eric Meitzner (Gunsmith & Gunmaker)
(715)-378-2211
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:59:15 PM EST
I had the extractor break in a 308 PSS. Replacement was not difficult and the part was not expensive, but I agree this is a potential weak link.
Top Top