Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2002 10:49:03 AM EDT
OK, I finally got my RRA Tactical in!
I am very pleased with the weapon...it's also my first AR!
Now I'm looking at optics. I've read all the previous posts about "not being able to use the iron sights in conjunction with the optics" posts.
Has anyone found a SIMPLE/INEXPENSIVE way around this or am I doomed to one or the other?
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:59:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Best I have seen yet is the SIR(I think thats what its called)system and quick release mounts on your optics.  You can quickly remove the optics and use the flip up sites.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:04:34 AM EDT
[#2]
How long did it take to get that RRA tactical?..I was just wondering. I have one ordered too.. A LE tactical A4 postban...thanks Trucker
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:09:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Trucker,
I was told it would take 1 month and I think it was 1 month to the day!
WELL WORTH THE WAIT!
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:25:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Its only been a week for me so far...Thanks...enjoy your new AR..Trucker
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:26:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Best I have seen yet is the SIR(I think thats what its called)system and quick release mounts on your optics.  You can quickly remove the optics and use the flip up sites.

Depending on the model, he may not have anything to flip up.

Mine came equipped with a normal front sight, and the rear is RRA's "tactical carrying handle", which is basically a rail with a rear sight built in that mounts on the rail of the RRA flattop receiver.  

Net result is iron sights, and the ability to mount optical sights ABOVE the rear sight.

If anybody has a reasonably priced mount and low power scope (2.5X max) or red dot sight that positions the sight so you can see the RRA sights through it, I'd sure like to hear about it too.

For those that want to look at a picture, last I knew RRA's website had a pic of this arrangement on the Uppers page, or see the CAR15 Tactical Elite PostBan.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Here is the SIR system at Bushmaster www.bushmaster.com/shopping/handguards/arms-sir45-c.asp
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 2:46:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Take a look at my post on the new $22-$25 Aimpoint rings in the Optics forum. I have the same RRA tactical top and the ring works great with my CompXD. Buy that and a used Aimpoint Comp is a very cheap way to go. It's simple, takes off/on easy, and retains zero and is too simple to be anything other than tough.

There are some naysayers that say it's not expensive enough rings, but the comp wouldn't survive anything that would damage the ring. Them armchair generals always have to have the most expensive stuff and the crappiest skills.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 8:08:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm looking at EOTech 552, but it's not inexpensive...
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 3:50:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Take a look at my post on the new $22-$25 Aimpoint rings in the Optics forum. I have the same RRA tactical top and the ring works great with my CompXD.

That's the best setup out there for the tac handle. The flimsy ring that comes with the Aimpoint will give you the right height, but is, well, flimsy. Aimpoint sells heavier duty rings with the same mounting height and they are plenty strong! You can use your iron sights right through the optic and the whole thing is easily removable and retains zero when reinstalled. Here's a pic of mine, mounted on a 2001 LEGP:

Link Posted: 7/4/2002 5:41:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top