Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2002 10:29:13 AM EDT
    Here is the standard intro.....been shooting guns for years.....been reloading since 1983 (5 pistol cartridges/7 rifle cartridges......NRA certified instructor.....need bigger gun safe for constantly growing population.....

I would like to get started in 50 caliber shooting. I WANT a Barrett M82 real bad.....but just can't come up with the $7000 for one.  I don't work for an agency that will buy my toys for me.

My primary use will be to make noise at the range.  But I would also like something that is more accurate than a shotgun slug.  I have looked at ArmaLite's AR-50, and have seen ads for others such as the Grizzly Big Boar, etc.

Without taking too much time from your shooting routines, I would like some suggestions, stories, warnings, etc., from the folks who are involved with 50's now.  Also, any 50 cal shooters in VA?

Thank you for any and all inputs.

Al

Link Posted: 9/21/2002 10:46:35 AM EDT
[#1]
The ar-50 is the best buy for the money. Built like a tank, kicks very mildly, accurate, and it actually looks like a bolt action rifle should. Only drawback is it is heavy, but with the range on that sucker you don't need to get very close to your target!   P.S. When you pull this thing out of the case at the range EVERYONE stops to look!!!

Link Posted: 9/21/2002 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I, like you, am in the market for a reasonably priced M82A1. They are out there, you just have to be patient.

The Barrett 95 is a superb weapon for around $5000, it is a bolt action repeater. The M99 I believe holds the current world accuracy record, it is a single-shot weapon also mfg. by Barrett. As far as others, look up the Fifty Caliber Shooters Association website (fcsa.org, i think). They have all kinds of interesting stuff, and will be able to give you more info than is available in this brief, little space!
BTW-get your Fifty before the Govt. does, 'cause the .50 ban is coming...and prices aren't goin' down.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 12:21:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The ar-50 is the best buy for the money...   P.S. When you pull this thing out of the case at the range EVERYONE stops to look!!!

I'll bet they do!!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 12:27:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I, like you, am in the market for a reasonably priced M82A1. They are out there, you just have to be patient.

The Barrett 95 is a superb weapon for around $5000, it is a bolt action repeater. The M99 I believe holds the current world accuracy record, it is a single-shot weapon also mfg. by Barrett.

No one enjoys shooting any more than I do.  But even $5 grand is a lot of money for a GUN !!!

...As far as others, look up the Fifty Caliber Shooters Association website (fcsa.org, i think).

Thank you for the web site info.  I used to have a site for 50-cal shooters, but when I did a system recovery, I lost it with a bunch of other sites.

BTW-get your Fifty before the Govt. does, 'cause the .50 ban is coming...and prices aren't goin' down.

Yes, that is another reason why I want to get one (or more) as soon as I can afford to.

S4F

Link Posted: 9/22/2002 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Reloading for a .50 is a must but the M82 eats up cartridges. Tears the rims off some of them. Id go with the M99 but you can't go wrong with the Ar50 either.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 12:21:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Al,

What part of Virginia are you located?  If you live in the southwest portion of the state, I would be happy to let you shoot my rifle.  I would definitely go with a bolt gun if I was going to buy my first fifty.  I constantly hear all these claims about how accurate the semi-auto BMG's are(mostly from armchair experts), but I haven't seen many groups posted in the FCSA's quarterly mag that are below 2MOA at 1000.  By the way, the all the current records in the FCSA are now held with a McBros based bolt action.  I would definitely advise you to join the FCSA before you buy a rifle so that you can truly get all the necessary information you need about the fifty's.  There are a few things with the BMG's that are different than standard cartridges other than size.  Bore rider throats, groove to land ratios, scope and mount requirements, are only a few things that pop into my mind right now.  E-mail me if you have any specific questions at [email protected].  Have a good one.

R. Jason Scott
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an AR50L (Left hand bolt) and I live in Northern VA.  No place to shoot around here so I have to drive 3 hours down past Staunton VA.  150 yard range but its better than nothing.

As far as ammo.  I did pickup 150 rounds from Ammoman (talon) and they are ok.  I also had a guy in OK reload me some ammo.  It was 1.34 each which is about the same as buying Talon.  But it is cleaner and each round is the same.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 7:15:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Check with Gunbroker they have some M82s on their pretty reasonable right now.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#9]
there is a almost brand new Barrett M99 for sale in EE.  You should take a look, 2500.  I would buy it, but too many projects going on now.  I have an AMAC and love it, if nothing else no one sits near me at the range.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 1:42:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Last night I saw Mr Serbu selling off one of his Serbu's.  1800 delivered or something like that.  It is probably gone by now.  Go check on biggerhammer.net

Link Posted: 9/27/2002 4:42:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
By the way, the all the current records in the FCSA are now held with a McBros based bolt action.  

R. Jason Scott

I stand corrected!
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top