Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2002 7:10:54 PM EDT
Just got it today. It's an all black 4" non-ported version (as opposed to OD green). Put about 125 rounds thru it this afternoon without a bobble. Quality is outstanding. The superb machine work reminds me of Sig Arms guns I've owned in the past. In this limited amount of shooting accuracy seemed very good. Off hand from about 15 paces I was able to put 5 rounds of Winchester 180 JHP into 2" or so on the head of an IPSC target. I've owned or shot just about every handgun on the market in the last 15 years. While I'm a died-in-the-wool 1911 man, this gun rocks! It has a very good consistent trigger (with the potential to be hot rodded), points well and has some well thought out features such as ambi mag release and grip safety. I competed in IPSC matches for better than two years with a Glock 35 and the XD is a much better system. It points much more naturally than the Glock, kinda like a 1911. My shot splits were in the .18 - .19 sec range on 10 yard steel which is about what I do with a Kimber carry 1911 and not much slower than the splits with a full blown IPSC race gun with a 2# trigger. My only complaint is that SA intends their guns to have a "six o'clock" zero and therefore the gun shoots about 3" high at 15 yards. It'll get a set of tritium sights anyway, maybe I can find a taller front sight when they are changed. I'm going to shoot it again tomorrow. It's been a while since I was this excited about a new blaster, it's that good! I've yet to hear anything bad about them and I did do some research. Anyone know who makes a decent Kydex holster for the XD?
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 7:33:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I got to shoot a 9mm version today. I want (I think) the .357 Sig. But, apparently they are not in production.  From what you think, would you stick with the 4" and not a 4" ported or the 5"?  
Thanks and congrats.
I will keep an eye out for the holster. I have a list of makers for the Glock and they should have them out in the next few months.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 8:12:49 PM EDT
[#2]
The 5" barrel would be great but I needed something a bit more compact. The longer sight radius and velocity increase with the longer barrel would be a definite plus! The ported guns I've shot had vicious muzzle blast. Shooting one in a confined area, during weapon retention drills, or in low light wouldn't be fun. Porting does help keep the muzzle down for follow up shots.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 2:07:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I have my eye on the 4" .357 Sig model myself. Hmm... price seems reasonable. :)
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 8:44:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Put another hundred or so rounds thru the XD yesterday. All reloads, not a single bobble. I also shot it side by side with my 5" Kimber as a control and here's my thinking on the XD. It's a GREAT combat pistol, head and shoulders above the Glock or any DA design but still the 1911 is somewhat better at running high speed drills where the object is to rapidly/accurately  put lead on the target. The XD is more high tech in most every regard and is much lighter (my alloy 4" Kimber is still about 4 oz heavier). It's design makes feeding most any ammo no problem and the trigger is very good for a duty gun. I think an overtravel stop for the trigger would be a substantial improvement though and would be easy to install. 1911's are picky unless you spend much more than the XD costs and C&L isn't for everyone. The XD is a winner. It's now my carry choice when I'm out on my mountain bike in the dirt but it won't replace my 1911's for day to day carry. I guess I'm just set in my ways. I'd definitely recommend the XD to someone looking for a trouble free carry piece right out of the box though. As I said, it's VERY good!
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 4:52:21 PM EDT
[#5]
www.hs2000talk.com/ For those interested in the XD... Cool forum.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:20:13 AM EDT
[#6]
How much different is this XD pistol than a HS2000. I just think its funny spingfeild acts like its a brand new pistol.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 3:29:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Same gun, different molded-in logos.  There are a few more models now, longer slide, OD green, etc.  One other thing that is different is the apparent level of commitment that SA has to this pistol as compared to that of HS America.  From a publicity standpoint, SA did the job right.  

BTW, I had three HS2000s over time; I sold two to friends that absolutely would not let me alone until I did.  Some HS2000s had extractor problems, but I never did.  The other two guys are tickled with their HS2000s accuracy and their new-found ability to hit what they aim at with a handgun; previously they thought it possible to do so only with a scoped rifle.  :D

Noah
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 6:51:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Some HS2000s had extractor problems, but I never did.  
Noah

My understanding is that the Springfield guns have the gen 3 (larger) extractor and that the extraction problem has been fixed for good.

Like noah said, SA is supporting the gun right. They even warranty the HS America guns!
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 8:53:15 AM EDT
[#9]
The three HS2000s I had were two Gen 1s and a Gen 2.  The extractors in all of those were identical dimensionally to that in a friend's Gen 3, but he had a pile of trouble with it FTE'ing.  We compared the extractors from one of my G1s (before I sold it) and my G2 with that of his G3 and it was apparent that the G3 extractor had FAR less spring tension than that of the others, either in his slide or in my G1 or G2 slides.  I had like one FTE on Wolf 9mm in the G1, and I have shot over 1300 rounds cumulatively through the the three that I had.  Roger's G3 would usu. feed and extract Olympic or the PMP stuff OK with maybe 1 or 2 FTEs per 100 (not acceptable for carry, and he didn't), but it choked on other stuff.  He sent the gun to SA after they started to cover the HS2000, and the replacement extractor almost needs a crowbar to flex it.  No more FTEs!

IMO, the issue was one or more lots of these extractors (they look cast or MIM'd to me, and I am probably wrong - but the round "barrel" at the rear of the extractor has mold marks in it) were out of spec or poorly heat treated.  They may have changed suppliers or were bringing another one on board, or such like.  At the HS2000Talk.com board, it seemed that a lot of Gen 3 owners were having the problem.

Even with the higher $$$ for the SA version, it is a tough pistol to beat.  It is somewhat Glock-like in features, but I like to say that it is not "better" than a Glock, but "different".  For me, the HS/XD grip made the difference and I sold my G17 and G19, which grips feel like polymer furring strips in my hand (no flame; just my perception).  The HS/XD grip is more like the CZ75/85 and the BHP for ergonomic comfort.  

Noah
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info noah. There's a pic of two extractors on the HS/XD forum and the extractor claimed to be current (SA/Gen 3?) was larger. I'm wondering if SA changed it to a larger size as well as tweaked the metalurgy. Interesting stuff. Either way, it's a great pistol. I'm glad to own one.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 6:16:03 PM EDT
[#11]
 I talked to customer service today-was on hold for about 5 seconds-and was told the .357 Sigs are in production and going to take about 2 months to get widely to all distributors.  The 5-inch barrel will be around the end of the Summer. I am gonna have to be patient.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
 I talked to customer service today-was on hold for about 5 seconds-and was told the .357 Sigs are in production and going to take about 2 months to get widely to all distributors.  The 5-inch barrel will be around the end of the Summer. I am gonna have to be patient.

Patient? Naw, get an XD40 now and buy it a sibling at the end of summer. I know you're kicking yourself for not thinking of this first.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top