Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2002 7:01:49 AM EDT
Took my Armalite AR out shooting on Sat. and was very disappointed. The weapon jammed on almost every shot. I was unable to get more than three or four rounds through it with out some kind of jam or malfunction.

I experienced everything from failure to extract, failure to feed and twice a live round got stuck up in the slot the charging handle rides in.

The only possible thing I can think of is bad mags. I did have the mags loaded for about the the past 24 months but I posted in the GD forum some time ago and basically everyone said that letting mags set for a long time with ammo in them should not be a problem.

This is only the second time I have fired this particular AR and although it performed much better the first time, I still had one jam where the round rode up into the charging handle slot.

Please any advice would be appreciated. I thought Armalites, ( Eagle Arms actually) were supposed to be pretty high quality weapons.
I'm so frustrated by this that I am seriously considering getting rid of it and buying a Bushy.

Thanks all,
Muz.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 7:19:36 AM EDT
[#1]
think.
clean and oily
clean and oily
clean and oily

use break free with CLP.
hose the bolt until it drips, sling it clean, assemble and fire 3 rounds.  

then good ammo.  test with ball Rem Win.
mags.  use mill spec.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 10:35:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Can't help - you haven't told up what magazines you are using (and yes USGI can be left loaded to capacity indefinatly); nor what kind of ammo you were using.

Double feeds (2 live rounds fed) is always a magazine related problem.

Hmm Eagle Arms is made by Armaltie but they don't have chrome lined chambers, and the chambers are cut to minium SAMMI specs (so using full-power 5.56, like Winchester Q3131, can cause extraction problems.

I concure with 308wood make sure the rifle is cleaned and lubricated per the -10 (Operator's Manual) with CLP.  You can download the manual from old.ar15.com/books.  Try using some Federal American Eagle, its not loaded as hot as the M193 loads and is fairly accurate.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 5:13:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey Muz,
        Glad to see your post, sorry 'bout your luck.  I think if you oil it and let it set for a bit dis-assemble, clean, oil and reassemble you should be good to go.  Don't know shit bout Eagles... you know what I carry. Hope to see ya at the gun show on sat.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top