Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2006 6:42:30 PM EDT
Does anyone have any plans for making shooting tables.  Maybe something with folding legs that will fit in the truck nice.  We're looking to make a couple of these for easy setup at our favorite shooting spot.  Woodworking,  or welding are no problem.  I just have'nt been able to find any plans for a decent homemade shooting bench.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:47:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Help!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:05:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag for information and my interpretation of the problem...
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:30:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't believe nobody has any ideas or plans for a decent table.  I've though about just cutting out the usuall design and attempting to fab some legs but as of yet can't think of a way to keep it compact, portable, and at least semi lite.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:43:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Semi light is what I see the problem being.  If it's light then conversely it is not sturdy and a wobbly shooting bench isn't worth much.

Probably the lightest and sturdiest would be some heavy duty hammock stand pipe with holes to use carriage bolts and wing nuts to hold some plastic wood planks...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:58:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I seen this after the first post and tried to get over to my BIL and get pics of his portable shooting bench. It takes 2 people to carry and it folds down to about 4 inches thick, fits nice in the back of my truck.

The semi light part of this throws our bench out of the running for a design that you will like. But it is compact and portable(with 2 people).

I could send you some pics or post them here but it would be Thursday before I can do it.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:58:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd still be interested in seeing it.  I'm coming up empty.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:30:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I built a cheap shooting table this weekend.  I went to Lowe's and got a set of folding legs and a 3/4 piece of plywood.  I attached the legs and then put outdoor carpeting on the wood.  Took about 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:09:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I went to staples and bought one of those cheapie folding tables, the smallest one they had, and then trimmed off what I didn't needs with a jig saw.  Put some cheap high traffic carpet over it.  Now I have a portable bench.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#9]

If you would like more I can e-mail them to you.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Great job!!  Did you fabricate the frame yourself, if so what size stock did you use for the frame?  Does the seat just have a single center support that dovetails to a post on the lower bar?

It does look heavy, but a decent shooting bench really does need to be solid!  Well done!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:42:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Me likey very much.  Please send email on that one.  The gf's on here way to see parents with kids in Vegas............. BACHELOR for 9 days.  I'd go but I'll see them when they get back to there other house in another month so I'm single for a week  I've got lots of time to experiment with a few builds the next few days.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:05:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Great job!!  Did you fabricate the frame yourself, if so what size stock did you use for the frame? 1" square tube
Does the seat just have a single center support that dovetails to a post on the lower bar?
One support that swivels so it will get out of the way when collapsed

It does look heavy, but a decent shooting bench really does need to be solid!  Well done!

My brother in law made it and has the prints for most of it.

He said that he would finish it if somebody would like to have the exact measurments and I could mail them to you. IIRC he said that he had it in cadkey too but I have been wrong before.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:14:12 PM EDT
[#13]
A pic of the seat support

Here is one on the side to kinda see a little more

Don't pay no mind to the messy shop-its work in progress
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:54:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Good job, thanks for sharing that with us.  Those last two pictures answered the questions I still had.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:28:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the email.  I look forward to seeing the rest of the plans.  They look pretty easy to fab up actually,  and I think they fit the bill for what we're after.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:16:13 PM EDT
[#16]
No problem and if you need more from different angles let me know.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:42:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:21:14 PM EDT
[#18]
two sawhorses and a piece of plywood!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:26:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Update:
I finally started tinkering out in the shop and instead of just being content to copy the pictured design (which is a great bench by the way),  I've begun to work on a modified 3 leg version.  The fold up legs are a great idea and that will remain only with 3.  I will also be removing the chair and using a 6 gallon bucket with a seat lid,  which will double as my ammo bucket and a place to save brass.  I'm hoping by going to a 3 leg version that it be more stable on the range where conditions are not always perfect.  When I get the legs jigged and welded I'll start taking pics to post.  Might be next weekend before I really get to finish anything though.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:33:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:48:07 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=425710
Here's mine.
my.voyager.net/~ebgb68/dakota3.jpg

Now that is sharp. I can make just about anything out of wood but unfortunately have little in the way of welding\machining skills\tools
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:41:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=425710
Here's mine.
my.voyager.net/~ebgb68/dakota3.jpg

Now that is sharp. I can make just about anything out of wood but unfortunately have little in the way of welding\machining skills\tools

I have the welders and torches but lack the time. I figured out what I wanted and had a friend weld it up.
The whole thing pivots on a trailer spindle and bearing set. The rest is off the shelf tube steel.
The thing is rock solid.After last years trip the table would move. I slid the table back on the center post and added a brace in front. I'm going to lengthen the seat bracket so there's more "belly" room.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top