Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2001 9:26:57 AM EDT
I'm trying to ID this Star .32 caliber pistol. The only markings on the pistol are " Automatic pistol "Star" patent for the 7.65 pistol". I believe it is either a model D or I ,but I have been unable to find a picture or diagram for a positive ID.
Thanks,
Andy

Link Posted: 12/15/2001 10:55:51 AM EDT
[#1]
It is a Star model 1.  It was used by the French in WWI as well as the Italians.  It was produced in 1914-1929.  It is based on the model 1914 Echeverria, which is the company that became Star.  That's about all I have on the gun.  

Ross
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 8:29:30 PM EDT
[#2]
The following is an excerpt from Hogg and Weeks’ “Pistols of the World” re: the Star Model 1:

“Model 1919. (Also called Model 1). The principal change here, lay in the method of dismantling the pistol, and the new system was undoubtedly taken from Mannlicher design. The trigger guard now became part of the frame, and carried a spring catch at its top front. The remainder of the frame section which passed beneath the front end of the slide and turned up to engage a lump beneath the barrel, was detachable, and held in place by the spring catch. This made little change in the method of dismantling, but was probably easier to manufacture. Another mechanical change was the moving of the magazine catch from a snap-catch at the bottom of the butt to a push-button on the frame behind the trigger; in fact it occupied almost the same spot as had the dismantling button on the previous model. A small spur was also added to the hammer, which, until then, had always been of the rounded and pierced type.
     This model appeared in 6.35mm, 7.65mm and 9mm Short calibres in a variety of barrel lengths, and, for the first time, it carries the maker's name. The slide's left side will be found marked `Automatic Pistol Star Cal .32 7.65mm, and the right side, 'Bonifacio Echeverria Eibar Espafia'. An alternative form has 'Bonifacio Echeverria Eibar (Espafia) Pistola Automatica Star Cal 7,65' on the left side. There are other minor variations in inscription, but the name 'Star' always appears in some form or other. The grips invariably have the word 'Star' across the top; some have been seen with the trademark moulded in, others with an ornate device, having a star as the central motif, and heraldic beasts supporting it.
     These 1919 models remained in production for some years; the 9mm model was discontinued in 1921, but the others continued until 1929.”

This book has a photo of the above pistol which is virtually identical to yours except for barrel length.

W.H.B. Smith, in his classic work of “Book of Pistols and Revolvers”, refers to this pistol simply as the Star Military.  He also shows a photo of a Star Model I (capital letter “I”) which has a frame that looks a lot like a 1911 frame (arched mainspring housing, similar slide stop and thumb safety, mag release near bottom of triggerguard).

My rather old Standard Catalog of Firearms, fourth edition (1994) gives the following values for the Star Model 1919:

Excellent - $275
VG – $250
Good – $200
Fair – $150
Poor - $100
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 7:26:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top