Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/27/2001 8:21:41 AM EDT
Will the addition of a muzzle break to say a 20" barrel improve accuracy? I have seen ads claiming improved shot groups with the installation of a muzzle break.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 9:44:49 AM EDT
Scubadown....

Tough question. Lots of variables involved.

First, what kind of accuracy are you obtaining currently?

Second, have you tried doing simpler items first? ie. different ammo manufacturer, differnt bullet weights, pressure pointing the barrel, free floating the barrel, etc.

Adding a brake is probably not going to give you a marked difference in accuracy as simply and easily as some of the above options.

The brake, by its design, will affect the other, more subtle nuances of bullet flight. For instance it will bleed off some gases from the exit area of the barrel, this will affect the speed of the bullet, the supersonic 'bubble' at the end of the barrel, and affects the harmonics of your barrel as well.

I would start simple first. Change your bullet load, get a better rifle rest, adjust your shooting technique, maybe try a premium cartridge or two.

There are ALOT of simpler and easier things to do before you start adding a brake. Besides, brakes tend to decrease felt recoil, but add felt 'noise.'

TheRedGoat/Baphomet

Link Posted: 11/27/2001 10:20:52 AM EDT
Thanks Baphomet for the info. I wasn't really thinking of installing a muzzle break, more just wondering in generalities if a break made a gun more accurate.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 10:26:03 AM EDT
Baphomet -

Do you think installing one of those Wilson or Cav Arms birdcage style muzzle brakes will make a rifle shoot worse? ie. decrease accuracy ?

My Vmatch shoots almost 1 moa at 100 yds now. I want to add the brake but am worried that doing so will screw up the rifle's accuracy.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 12:32:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/27/2001 12:30:26 PM EDT by Baphomet]

Originally Posted By ESP:
Baphomet -

Do you think installing one of those Wilson or Cav Arms birdcage style muzzle brakes will make a rifle shoot worse? ie. decrease accuracy ?

My Vmatch shoots almost 1 moa at 100 yds now. I want to add the brake but am worried that doing so will screw up the rifle's accuracy.

Ironically enough, I just read an article the other day that talked about how most birdcage style flash suppressors 'improved' accuracy in general. Their explanation was based upon an assumption that the flash suppressor dissipated the supersonic following wave away from the base of the bullet and therefore lead to less interference with the bullet stability. When exiting the barrel, the bullet was nudged by the following wave more severely without a flash suppressor.

As for using a muzzle brake to improve accuracy from a barrel, I would shy away from it.

Everything I have read about accuracy stresses the importance of a nice, clean muzzle crown.

When you add a brake you mess with at least two critical factors that have known adverse effects.

Barrel harmonics
Muzzle crown

Will adding a muzzle brake screw up your accuracy, not necessarily.

TheRedGoat/Baphomet

BTW, a muzzle brake is primarily designed to reduce felt recoil by redirecting gases such that the gun is 'pulled' way from the shooter's shoulder.

Flash suppressors work by disspating gases radially to decrease perceived combustion of the exhaust gases.

Both are known to affect accuracy, either positively or negatively.

Crap shoot to determine what the outcome will be with your gun. Cheaper solutions are available to try first, YMMV

editted cause I keep calling flashhiders flash suppressors, and vice versa. :(
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 1:22:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By scubadown:
Will the addition of a muzzle break to say a 20" barrel improve accuracy? I have seen ads claiming improved shot groups with the installation of a muzzle break.

Remember, it's not a 'muzzle break' it's a muzzle brake. To 'break' as we all know, means to destroy or damage. To 'brake' as we all know, just like in your car, means to slow down.

And what the heck would you want a brake on a .223 for??
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 1:22:46 PM EDT

Not likely, and only if the weight of the muzzle just happens to tune the barrel like a B.O.S.S. Mostly they just hurt your ears. On a .223 they are all but useless weights.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 1:46:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By shooterX308:

Not likely, and only if the weight of the muzzle just happens to tune the barrel like a B.O.S.S. Mostly they just hurt your ears. On a .223 they are all but useless weights.

I had my money riding on the ad being for a BOSS.

I also suspect he is getting near 1" groups already, but is thinking that he should be cloverleafing at 100yds using PMC, Wolf. Not a flame, but just kinda my guess.

TheRedGoat/Baphomet
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 4:33:21 PM EDT
Hey I was just asking a question. Don't need to get that "Holier Than Thou" attitude. I think I know Wolf ammo is not going to cloverleaf at 100 yds.
Top Top