Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/30/2018 2:35:15 PM EDT
Form 1 Approved this past week and I went to work this past weekend finishing up my Ruger SBR Project.

I know people will say A-team, but I like them just because they are somehow very cool looking to me from since I was a teen in the early 80s. Funny my anti- Mini-14 freinds used to say the A-team always missed hitting the bad guys because they were using mini-14s - not that they deliberately tried to miss anyone.

This started out as a Ruger Mini-14 GB that I bought a few years ago from an AR15.com member. I think this was some LEO type of surplus - Ohio State Corrections maybe? with a fixed wood stock.

" />

" />

I did the following:

1. Acquire a factory folding stock on ebay (I think I paid $300 for it a few years ago) I think that was a great price, but still expensive.

2. Cut barrel to 13.25 and thread barrel 1/2x28. I did this myself using the CNC warrior tools, Brownells facing tool and crowing tool - went very easy and did not require removing barrel! After splaying out all the tools on my bench and vice the action I was able to do a careful job within 30 minutes.

3. Obtain a Ruger Factory Flash Hider in 1/2x28. I'd rather use 1/2x28 as it giver more options for muzzle devices than the original 9/16x24.

4. Obtain replica AC556K sight (block top sight)I think the person that made this still lists them on ebay for under $100. this was easy to install as my block screws weren't staked in to bad.

5. To get it to run well, had to Open up the gas bushing with a 3/32 drill bit and open the barrel port to 0.070" (#50 drill bit) seems to work well. Not excessively over or under gassed. maybe slightly over gassed (like the owner) : )

6. Next step is to shave some of the front sight down with a file. It hits about 6" low using 55 gain American eagle at 25 yds) and I ran out of rear sight adjustment. The repro front sight is perhaps a little too tall - can be fixed though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 2:53:18 PM EDT
looks good!
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 2:57:16 PM EDT
I like it
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:30:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/30/2018 4:40:54 PM EDT by criley]
What's not to like?

Very cool.

Let us know how it shoots after you adjust the front sight.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 5:50:01 PM EDT
Thanks for the compliments. Its not common to see this compact version.

To be honest, I think Ruger could sell a few "pistol" versions like this - Just add an AR buffer tube block instead of folding mechanism and people could have some pistol brace fun with a mini !

PS I did like the shootout in Broken Arrow.

Link Posted: 8/30/2018 7:10:32 PM EDT
It'd be nice if Ruger would do their stock again, even if they went to a polymer stock instead of wood. I'd keep the metal rod, but hell they could probably modify it too.

I thought about SBRing my 300blk, but the stocks are just too expensive to bother with and using a normal stock on it seems pointless.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 7:22:14 PM EDT
@Commando223

Looks good, OP. I'd like to see a Mini in a minimalist stock, something where you could see a lot of the guts.

Just got in my 2nd RamLine mag (a nice gift from an ARFCOMer) and managed to get the floorplate off w/o too much trouble. Gonna try replacing the spring. If I keep getting these mags I'm gonna have to get a Mini.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 7:23:31 PM EDT
Very cool OP I like it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 7:45:55 PM EDT
I've got a factory folder model in stainless and love the look of this even more. Yours looks great.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 9:52:11 PM EDT
NICE!

Here's mine with period S&W 4506-1 and FDLE SOT insignia.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 3:08:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2018 3:09:51 PM EDT by cherenkov]
Update - I was able to sight it in perfectly with a 50 yd zero by filing the front sight down - slowly and keeping the same shape and contour of the sight. I think took close to 1/8 inch height off of it - give or take.

As I was at an outdoor range this morning I could use steel case ammo - (my indoor range doesn't allow it for some reason but does on AKs and SKS though)
And it functioned flawlessly with Tula - I was worried about Tula being a little under powered but functioned perfect!

The Kid (some nice gun enthusiast in his 20s) next to me said "Cool sort of like that old TV show - the A Team" LOL. The folding stock Mini-14 will forever be affiliated with that corny TV show. Yes I watched it as a teen - We only had three channels!

I also read Mack Bolan books!

Because of the cool pic above Now I want a Stainless GB to match with my Smith & Wesson service guns from the 80s.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 5:05:43 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cherenkov:
Update - I was able to sight it in perfectly with a 50 yd zero by filing the front sight down - slowly and keeping the same shape and contour of the sight. I think took close to 1/8 inch height off of it - give or take.

As I was at an outdoor range this morning I could use steel case ammo - (my indoor range doesn't allow it for some reason but does on AKs and SKS though)
And it functioned flawlessly with Tula - I was worried about Tula being a little under powered but functioned perfect!

The Kid (some nice gun enthusiast in his 20s) next to me said "Cool sort of like that old TV show - the A Team" LOL. The folding stock Mini-14 will forever be affiliated with that corny TV show. Yes I watched it as a teen - We only had three channels!

I also read Mack Bolan books!

Because of the cool pic above Now I want a Stainless GB to match with my Smith & Wesson service guns from the 80s.
View Quote
Stainless GB and S&W 3rd Gens go together so well.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 6:49:48 PM EDT
Awesome!
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:17:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 11:19:15 AM EDT
Very nice..................I have a blued GB, and happened onto a Falcon Folding stock, so I have my A-Team gun
Top Top