Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2002 7:15:51 PM EDT
I need to learn more about these. I bought a rifle with a 1895 action is it worth rebarreling? Where can I read mre about these? What calibers are ok without too much preassure?
-Cruizer
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 7:31:03 PM EDT
[#1]
go to www.gunandgame.com
go to the mauser forum and you can ask there. you dont need to sign in and all that crap, just ask away. those guys are really helpfull, they answered my questions quickly
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 7:36:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Mauser encyclopedia. If you give me the name on the crest, year, any other letters or numbers off the receiver, I can look it up for you.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#3]
WOW! how weird is that! i was just researching Mauser actions for a bolt gun project that i have been wanting to do for sometime.

Here are all the links that i have come up with for Mauser stuff!

www.gunandgame.com/cgi-bin/boards/turkconfig.pl

www.gstorm.com/tacticalrifle.html
www.coreliteprecision.com/
www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/barrels.html#mil

Link Posted: 3/2/2002 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Also this is what i am looking at building...

Am i nuts? Does a Mauser in .308 make for a decent cheap scout/sniper rifle? What about this stock? Does anyone have one. Anyone seen one? This is what i have come up with as an inexpensive substitute for a Rem 700 or a Savage 10FP. Is this a good way to go?
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 7:54:28 PM EDT
[#5]
i bought my turk for 40 bucks.  i spent some time on the stock, made it look nice, checked the headspace, took it to the range and fell in love with it!  you look at it and your like, okay, an old, long, heavy POS rifle that no one wanted but its a gun and its cheap so i mine as well buy it.  well, i love it.  and theyre so cheap and not a collectors item that you can mess with it, i.e. the stock &c.  and not feel guilty at all.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 8:29:30 PM EDT
[#6]
A good Model 95 is worth rebarrelling.  

Whether or not it’s cost effective is a different issue.  Price everything out before you start - you may find you’re better off tracking down a used Savage in the caliber you want and being done with it.  

However, if you’re looking to do this just for the fun of it, then by all means go for it!

If you want to really get into the details of gunsmithing a Mauser military action, get a copy of Jerry Kuhnhausen’s “The Mauser Bolt Actions, A Shop Manual”.

The obvious caliber for rebarrelling is 7X57 Mauser, since that’s the original caliber anyway.  Plus it is an excellent round and is easy to find at just about any gun store.  Actually, if the original barrel is in good condition, I’d just leave it alone.

Other suitable calibers include 6.5X55 Mauser, .250 Savage, .300 Savage and .35 Remington.  Keep in mind these rounds may require slight modifications to the action to feed properly.  A round such as .223 Remington isn’t practical because of the smaller case head.

You will need a barrel for a “small ring” Mauser.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 2:11:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Also this is what i am looking at building...

Am i nuts? Does a Mauser in .308 make for a decent cheap scout/sniper rifle? What about this stock? Does anyone have one. Anyone seen one? quote]

I have this stock, and the 8mm Mauser that go's in it. I haven't put it in the stock yet so i can't give a report on how it shoots, but I do know you have to buy a bolt conversion (you just cut off, drill and tap the old bolt handle) to make it work, only if your using a bent bolt mauser though.I bought a Butler Creek sling for it and from what I can tell it looks and feels well made.

Link Posted: 3/3/2002 3:17:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Ok guys, I just posted about this over at the build it yourself forum. I posted a picture of my completed project.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=97254

Link Posted: 3/3/2002 2:44:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I did a M96 Swede 10 years ago and it was fun to do. It makes a great deer rifle.
I cut the barrel to 24 inches and used a Choate stock aand did the bolt handle cut and weld myself, that was the hardest part.
Go for it.

Lee
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top