Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2002 12:39:33 PM EDT
I've been wanting a 308 for a while and the FAL looks like a good choice. I'm thinking about getting one. I have seen a few at the local gun shows. I wanted to know what to look for and what to stay away from.

All comments are welcome.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 1:03:23 PM EDT
[#1]
How much money do you want to spend?

How much money are you willing to spend?

Spend some time at www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php?s= at least in the FAQ forum. Set the post date back t o 1 year and start reading.

Link Posted: 11/28/2002 1:12:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Got A British L1A1 for sale, inch pattern gun parts(used) but built on an Imbel metric reciever, uses metric mags(the inexpensive type commonly available, Works on gas Setting #7(excellent for An fal)I think most of the gas system is fairly new too, have fired 300 rounds out of it no malfunctions,well kept no rust.

It looks like it had a new barrel put on it when it was built. Comes with 2 twenty round mags, and the original Military stocks in a seperate box. It has the thumbhole stock on it, and no flashider. Bought for $579 but selling for $400 shoots Portugese and Cavim with no problems.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 7:39:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Fireguy3 -

Where in PA are you? Will you do a private sale?

Link Posted: 11/28/2002 7:43:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Mags and most parts are more readily available for metric pattern guns. In fact, they are all inch dimensioned except the Israelie which is the only true metric.

What does that mean? Israeli pattern guns have there own set of peculularities (e.g., the Izzy-specific barrel thread, gas block, sights, etc); they aren't a true metric pattern gun.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 9:38:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 5:26:55 AM EDT
[#7]
DavidC,
I was thinking around the $500 dollar mark, but I would pay extra for a good gun. I have been to the FAL Files website, is that site ever going to be finished? Looks like the last update was 3/27/2002. But I will check the FAQ.

MickeyMouse,
Thanks for the information. I think the ones I saw at the gun show where by Century. If I remember correctly they were asking about $450 for the guns. If I can compare several of them side-by-side what should I look for? (This question is for all)

Thnaks again...
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 8:27:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Both FN ((called metric) and Commonwealth (called inch) use inch dimensions including threads. The Izzy OTOH uses METRIC dimensions, thus the differences

At best, that is sophistry, at worst, it just completely confuses the issue.

The designations "inch' and "metric" refer to more than just the measurements used on the engineering drawings. There are many differences between the two styles of rifles. My FN 50.00 is very different than my Australian L1A1, though major assemblies are interchangable. My Israeli Heavy Barrel has its own set of model specific parts.

JCraig -

Read this post on the Fal Files www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38745.

The discussion there will tell you a lot about the different styles of FAL rifles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top