Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2002 3:46:42 PM EDT
I'm feeling the urge to buy another 1911.  I already have a LW Commander I customized, but I'm not looking to go the Colt route again.

I'm split between the Springfield Loaded with Night sights or the Kimber Classic II.  I see that Gun Tests magazine recommends the Springfield.  Also what's this I hear about the Kimber safety causing jams?  If you've owned or fired these pistols I'd appreciate your input.

I'll eventually end up doing either pistol over (It's the armorer in me, I just can't resist).
I want something that will run out of the box for now.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 6:03:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Heh, I've been thinking the same thing.  I wouldn't trust anything that Gun Tests prints, I think they make stuff up, nobody could have the terrible luck they seem to have with all sorts of different firearms.  Just sounds too much like the Jerry Springer of gun mags to me.

Springfield's "Loaded" with the parkerized finish is very aesthetically pleasing to me.  I also like their "Loaded Operator" with the rail, I've handled one in a local gun store and it was definitely every bit as tight as a Kimber.  Trigger still isn't quite as good as a Kimber's but still pretty darn good for factory.

Anyone with an opinion, I'm interested in the same issue here.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 6:15:27 PM EDT
[#2]
simple, Kimber
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I vote kimber.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 12:25:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Kimber (type I) full size and am about to go for a Springer Lightweight Compact.  I won't buy the Kimber type II firing pin safety thing.  It's a complex gizmo that I don't need and don't want.  If you take it out it leaves a hole in your slide.  This safety (I think the design is called the Schwartz safety) may prove OK in a couple years, but I've heard some bad experiences and I don't want to encourage Kimber for making unwarranted and potentially hazardous to me, changes.  I personally saw a Kimber Compact Jam up at the local Outdoor Wholesalehouse when the salesman kid tried to take the slide off.  I think the firing pin safety caught on something.  I like Kimber and I think their quality is good and they're made in USA.  But I don't like that firing pin safety.  Springfields frames (maybe more) are made by IMBEL of Brazil.  I prefer made in USA but IMBEL is good.  They make great FN licensed FALs (I have one).  The Springer frames and parts look great.  Springfield uses a titanium firing pin with a stronger spring to achieve the same degree of "safety" against accidental firing upon being dropped on the muzzle from 12 stories.  Which is good because if I don't plan on throwing your gun off 12 stories buildings onto it's muzzle, then you can just replace the Ti pin with a steel one.  Get the Springfield now and a Kimber when the type II fireing pin safety issues settle down.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 1:09:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I've heard great things about the Kimbers.  I do have a SA "loaded" I bought about 4 years ago.  I have 2500+ rounds out of it with no jams etc.  I love it.  I think you'll do fine with either one.
Rich
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 5:06:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmm, I keep hearing about the Kimber safety.  Is it like the Colt series 80, or some other idea?  
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I vote Kimber as well.  Springfields just feel funky in the hand to me.

I have both a series I and a series II model and they have both been 100% reliable.

The series II safety is similar to the colt series 80 but is controlled by the grip safety rather than the trigger so it doesn't affect the trigger pull that some complain about on the series 80.  There are claims that it keeps the gun from returning to battery fully but I haven't noticed this at all.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 10:34:32 PM EDT
[#8]
No, it's not like the series 80. It works when you press in the grip-safety, not the trigger.

I have the Custom Target II (series two, schwartz-style safety) and have had ZERO problems with it the trigger is great right out of the box.

Father-in-law has SS version, and a buddy has same - zero probs here also

The only thing I did differently, was put in an 18.5# recoil spring after break-in.

Before you buy check out
1911forums.com

Lots of good info over there, but some hype also. You'll have to wade thru it.

I would buy a Kimber over Springfield and esp. Colt any day.

Tony
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 10:08:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I vote for Springfield. I think Kimber has lost something in the last few years.
Jim
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top