Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2002 10:31:34 AM EDT
I seem to remember reading somewhere (I can't recall where) that putting grease inside the buffer tube will quiet the spring sound.

Does anyone have any experience with this method? If so, what kind of grease and how much is required?

Has anyone successfully tried any alternate methods?

TIA...JJ
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 11:35:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I use a high grade automotive grease. It doesn't take much. Put a pinch between the tips of your thumb and forefinger and run it along the spring coil. If you are in really dusty/dirty conditions, you may want to forget the grease and live with the SPOOIINGGGG!
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 11:40:28 AM EDT
[#2]
That's the music of the AR.  Don't quiet it, enjoy it.

Link Posted: 4/23/2002 11:46:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
That's the music of the AR.  Don't quiet it, enjoy it.

I second Norm.  The "sproing" is what makes an AR an AR.  I love that sound.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 12:38:52 PM EDT
[#4]
While the "music" of the sproiinngg is in the ear of the beholder I find it annoying and cheap sounding. I contrast that sound to the different, more solid sound the rifle makes when the last round has been fired. The bolt stays back and there is no sproiinngg sound...just a short final blast with no toy-like "overtones."

How do others feel and who tries to silence their spring?
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 12:45:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess what some would call a flaw, I call a feature. That "sproing" is music to my ears. IOW, my buffer is au naturel.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 12:46:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I just took that damn spring out. That took care of the noise. Now it's really quiet.

My AR15 seems to fail alot though... AR's are crappy and they jam all the time. Not like AK's.

Link Posted: 4/23/2002 1:09:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah ya might wanna put that back in there.
(yes, I know you're joking)
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 1:20:19 PM EDT
[#8]
My Armalite AR-A2 doesnt make that sound and never has. I have always made sure the spring was oiled since I bought it new and lots of oil was in it from Armalite upon receipt. Glad to know why they did so as I wouldnt like the sound I have heard on others. I just use gun oil.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 1:34:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Instead of automotive grease, try using a marine lubricant.  It has heavier weight and viscocity.  Makes the 'sproing' go 'sp'.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 2:45:39 PM EDT
[#10]
From the new Sinclair International catalog:

Tubbs Speedlock AR-15 Buffer Spring
"The new Speedlock AR-15 Buffer Spring is designed to reduce the pulse and overrun (that annoying "boing" or "twang") from your rifle, producing a smoother recoil cycle with less rifle movement. This spring is designed by 8-time national highpower champion David Tubb and carries the guaranteed 9002 quality control standards approval. Its precise construction is unaffected by rapid fire heat and enhances the function improving life of the part. The spring has been duty rated for 500,000 cycles, which will function consistently for the life of your rifle. Designed for AR-15 use only."

Catalog # 14-5200 Speedlock AR-15 Buffer Spring $22.50
This was on page 89 of their 2002-A catalog and is probably available on their website as well.
I just lube mine with Break Free and ignore the noise.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 3:57:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm so used to that sound now that if my rifle doesn't do it, I think its malfunctioned
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#12]
What about that hydraulic buffer on the Oly Arms site? Any opinions of it? Anyone used it?
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 5:39:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Buffers springs are designed to run perfectly DRY.

Any Grease or other crap that you put in there will only cause problems. the least of which will be the grit that you capture in the goop!
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 5:44:01 PM EDT
[#14]
A touch of wheel bearing grease and my ear gear and it sounds good to me.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#15]
While your at it, you should get the Brass marks off the Brass Deflector
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 6:07:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

You're kidding right? Those are like hickies!
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 6:38:23 PM EDT
[#17]
The spring is definitely a feature.  I always know what the spring sounds like and if it is ever differant I know there is a problem.

Any type of greese/oil will cause dirt build up, plain and simple.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 6:44:27 PM EDT
[#18]
This should be the link to the Tubbs Speedlock AR15 buffer spring.

www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=14-5200&type=store

I dunno.  I guess I'll stick with the spring that's in there.  It works well and, to tell you the truth, I don't really notice the "sproing."  Well, except for when it isn't there.  And then I'm reaching for a new magazine.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 6:44:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Just sweet sweet Ar music!
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 12:04:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Hmmm...ever since I got my postban (Colt Match Target), I've wondered about that "sproing". And though everyone I've ever let shoot it hands it back to me with that shit-eatin' grin on their face, almost everyone asks me about the noise. I've telling them it must have been designed that way.  However, I would like to try it out without the noise. VERY useful info on this post. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 10:36:25 PM EDT
[#21]
An AR has to have that sound. What would a Harley be without that "potato-potato" sound? By the way are any of the manufacturers going to patent that sound?
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 7:10:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Take off your hearing protection.  That will cure the buffer spring noise.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 7:47:10 AM EDT
[#23]
My friend (Deadeye47) has a Bushmaster 16" and it makes a very noticeable sproing where as my Colt preban 20" does not. Both shoot well so neither of us are complaining. But the first time I heard his do it it did catch my attention right away as I never heard it in over a decade of shooting in the military.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

LotBoy....I have a patent on a "Clip-On Brass Deflector Protector", only $5.00 each. Protects that AR15 brass deflector from the brass marks of ejected shells. Just pop it off and your brass defector is like new! LOL!!

I just had too!
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 8:08:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I've seen a guy selling buffer springs at a gunshow that were dipped in plastic. The kind of stuff that you would use to put a new grip on pliers. I think its called "plastadip" or something like that. He swore up and down that it eliminates the rattle noise and doesn't effect function. I figured screw it, If it ain't broke don't fix it. I'll guess I just wait for the Teflon coated "tactical" version that someone will eventually feel it necessary produce.

JerrY
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:27:28 AM EDT
[#26]
This stuff?

]www.plastidip.com/consumer/products.html{/url]
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 9:30:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 9:58:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Yep, That's the stuff. He stated that he poured the dip into a pan, thinned out the dip so it would coat better. Rolled the spring in it, let it dry, trimmed the excess and presto- Quiet buffer. The coating was blue not yellow, not that really matters.

JerrY

Link Posted: 5/1/2002 10:05:06 AM EDT
[#29]
well...you dont hear it if your bumpfiring :D
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 10:12:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Heresy, heresy, heresy!!!
Harrumphf, harrumphf, harrumphf!!!

This noise is like the 'sound of freedom' also known as jet exhaust noise. Learn to love it!

Matt
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 10:13:37 AM EDT
[#31]
OK, I tried the grease thing on my Colt. Before I went shooting this past Sunday (4/27) I gave the buffer a generous coating of high-temp bearing grease (Valvoline). It works. Really quiets down the spring. Shot about 20 rounds, broke it open to wipe away any excess before it got to the carrier. There was only a bit that worked it's way out. After 100 rounds, no more seeped out of the buffer area. If the "sproing" DOES bother you, and you don't consider it "AR music" this method will work.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 11:26:37 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I'm so used to that sound now that if my rifle doesn't do it, I think its malfunctioned

Yea, Yea, what he said.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 12:10:15 PM EDT
[#33]
It probably wouldn't be a good idea in terms of tactical or military use, but I wondered if you could use a gas piston instead of a spring.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#34]
You might want to get some airgun spring tar ,It is used in the spring are guns to quiet down the spring noise when tuned.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top