Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 3/18/2006 5:05:59 AM EDT
What gun safe brands do you guys recommend getting? I am looking for a fire resistive safe that you can run electric to the interior for lights.

Also if any of you have ever moved into a new home but brought your 1000 pound gun safe with you, how did you go about doing that? I am just curious because I don't plan on staying in the home I am in forever but I need to get a gun safe because I have a lot of guns and I only have a cheap Stack On sheet metal gun locker.

Thanks

Josh
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:16:35 AM EDT
Any of the major brands, Cannon, Libery, Ft. Knox, etc., should do a great job. I prefer the electronic lock, but others like the old dial style. When I moved, I had a local safe company move it. It cost about $150, but my back and legs thanked me later. And, I didn't bust up any of the walls or casements trying to do it myself. I hope this helps...
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:05:46 AM EDT
I bought a gloss black Cannon safe, about 650 pounds empty. Was easy to move around on level ground with an appliance dollie. Getting it into my basement was the hard part.

The basement stairs are right in line with a window in the bathroom. I removed the window, and used a long steel bar horizontally outside the window on the brick of the house to support the winches I used to lower it down the stairs. I just barely had enough length on the cables to get it to the bottom.

I was praying the brick could hold the weight of the safe. Just waiting for the **KABOOM**** as the steel bar blows out the brick and the window frame and the safe goes tumbling down the stairs...
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:11:08 AM EDT
I forget th ebrand, but someone makes a take down model, Zanotti, something like that.
You're right, paying 150 is the ticket if it's going to a difficult spot.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:18:18 AM EDT
whatever brand you get, follow the first rule:

buy bigger than what you need, it is amazing how much ammo/mags/extra gear/and firearms you will acquire that you never thought you did

then try to follow the 2nd rule if you can afford it:

get a safe with a door that has bolts going in all 4 directions, it will up the $$$, but that is the reason you are buying the safe in the first place, right?

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:22:34 AM EDT
Check out Heritage safes. Very well built & good size options too.

There are some good threads from the past on this topic. Try the "Search" feature & see what comes up.

Also, make sure you buy a safe with recessed hinges and bolt(s) that extend through at least the top of the door (ideally the bottom and hinge side of the door, too).
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:41:01 AM EDT
The only brand of gunsafe that I can or will recommend is Ft Knox
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:42:09 AM EDT
Do you think that Browning safes are good? I only ask because the local Bass Pro has them on the floor. They're probably over priced and over rated though. If they're crap then I'll just have to make the drive to the nearest aforementioned safes dealers.

Thanks for the info given guys.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:42:13 AM EDT
i would agree on ft. knox.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:15:54 AM EDT
I have a Browning Medallion model and think it's a decent product. The door has external hinges, so it swings out 180+ degrees when open, as opposed to those that only open 90 degrees.

The bolts extend behind a lip that is box steel re-enforced the total length of the opening, not just little pieces where the bolts are. I feel this gives the bolts a stronger area to withstand assault.

Fit & finish is excellent, but most safes at least try and look good.

It's 60"H, 30"W, 27"D and the extra depth is very noticable if you can do side by side comparison. It's also listed as 790 lbs.

I paid $1499 with dial lock at the local Sportsmans' Warehouse, and another $300 for delivery, but I had it installed in an upstairs closet, so trust me, it was worth it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:24:16 AM EDT
Heritage is not bad. If money is an issue I suggest a sentry from walmart or home depot. They are cheap and provide what you are looking for.

Max
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:34:15 AM EDT
For a efficiency stand point the Cannon is going to be the best upfront price and warranty.
They will repair/replace your safe ever in a fire or damage during a burglary.

If you want something pretty and foo foo.....then go get a Browning, etc........
Personally I don't want to go "showing off" my safe and would rather keep it to myself.
YMMV
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:42:43 AM EDT

buy bigger than what you need, it is amazing how much ammo/mags/extra gear/and firearms you will acquire that you never thought you did

+1

Also, if you live nearby a safe manufacturer, check out scratch and dent sales-you will be suprised as to what you may find.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:41:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/18/2006 11:43:16 AM EDT by MST2]
Heritage Safe Company

Lifetime warranty, S&G lock, internal hinges, A+++ customer service and beautiful finish and interior.

I have a Heritage, 800 lbs, had for about 8 years. Had a problem with the lock one time, called Heritage, my problem was fixed and they took care of all of it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:49:25 AM EDT
No matter which one you get , they all have a hole in the back so can run an electric cord for lights, heat rod, etc.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:02:52 AM EDT
I've worked several burglaries in which the safes were either removed outright or cut into using heaven knows what. I'm assuming some type of cutting wheel on a grinder. I just looked at a safe with 2 layers of 1/8 in steel sandwiching fireproofing material that had the entire top cut off so smoothly it could've been welded back on and been barely noticeable. I think it was made by Remington.

On the other hand a false back of a closet has served numerous people I know very well through burglaries and doesn't cost very much. The only possible advantage to a safe that I can see is in the event of a fire.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:06:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dpmmn:
The only brand of gunsafe that I can or will recommend is Ft Knox

I agree..
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:36:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FALSNARS:
I've worked several burglaries in which the safes were either removed outright or cut into using heaven knows what. I'm assuming some type of cutting wheel on a grinder. I just looked at a safe with 2 layers of 1/8 in steel sandwiching fireproofing material that had the entire top cut off so smoothly it could've been welded back on and been barely noticeable. I think it was made by Remington.

On the other hand a false back of a closet has served numerous people I know very well through burglaries and doesn't cost very much. The only possible advantage to a safe that I can see is in the event of a fire.

This is a very good point to take into consideration. The one absolute is, if someone wants something of yours, has the time, inclination, and intelligence, they can and will take it from you, no doubt.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:40:58 PM EDT
Get one of the TAKE DOWN models. ( you can get any size you need) As for lights, go to Lowes or Home Depot and get 40 ft of ROPE LIGHTS ( one continous piece ). You can leave the plug end inside the safe and plug it in when you open it.
Top Top