Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2002 9:26:38 AM EDT
I happened to be visiting family in MI a few months back and was able to attend the Birch Run Gun Expo. Pretty nice show with some good deals to be had. One thing that really irked me though was my inability to purchase a pistol. I found a swet deal on a 92af and was more than happy to fork over the loot only to find since i wasn't a resident, i couldn't buy it. I'm licensed in PA to carry a firearm, never been in trouble with the law but was still unable to buy it. I did however walk out with 2 rifles that were simply cash and carry. No paperwork was completed, no insta check nothing. Not that I'm a fan of gun control but come on now does that make any sense? One can just as easily perch himself high atop a building somewhere and engage in human target practice as walk in and pull a pistol out. I guess its some sort of state law but either way i feel as a red blooded american, I should be able to purchase any legal weapon of my choice in any state. Any feedback on this guys??
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 9:48:16 AM EDT
[#1]
It's not a state law, it's FEDERAL.  Since the Gun Control Act of 1968, as I recall, you can buy a long arm face to face in any state, if not otherwise prohibited. You can only buy handguns in your home state.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 9:48:24 AM EDT
[#2]
That's just the way it is here. If you were a resident with a cwp you could have walked out with it. Before the recent "must issue" legislation I never bought many handguns. Too much hassle.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 10:51:40 AM EDT
[#3]
right2keep,

The reason you could buy the rifles without any paperwork was that you violated Federal law when you made the purchase.  When you are out of your home state, you cannot purchase rifles or shotguns except from a licensed dealer and only if the purchase is legal in both states.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 11:03:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Then why did all of the vendors say I could buy a rifle in MI but not a firearm. I don't think they all were out to break a federal law.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 12:32:33 PM EDT
[#5]
You may have been allowed to purchase a rifle or shotgun, but only from a dealer.  If you bought without any paperwork, you didn't buy from a licensed dealer.  The following is from the BATF web site FAQ section:

(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only buy a firearm within the person's own state, except that he or she may buy a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any state, provided the sale complies with state laws applicable in the state of sale and the state where the purchaser resides. [18 U. S. C 922( a)( 3) and (5), 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top