Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2014 7:16:55 AM EDT
Looking for some good padlocks that use keys? Preferably something that can't be easily picked like master locks or made in China. Price limit is around $75 per lock
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 11:56:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Abloy
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 1:02:52 PM EDT
[#2]
AMERICAN PADLOCK LINK

More storefront / roll-down security shutters in high-crime areas have been secured with these high-security padlocks, for more years, than probably any others. Ask any fireman how difficult they are to overcome (Hint: They can only be defeated by cutting in a specific location with the large, gas powered saw... Therefore, it is easier and faster to cut out the steel security shutters than to attack the padlocks).

American Lock also makes other, related high security padlock models: Other American Locks Link

High Security Hasps LINK
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know much about padlocks, but a friend once lost the key to his cut proof disk lock.
One of these:

Took me less than 30 seconds to run a drill bit through the key entry and open it. The cylinder was brass, might as well have been butter.

Tried the same trick on a standard master lock I had lost the key to, it had a pretty hard steel for a cylinder and took a couple of bits to drill out and a few minutes. But it opened without much effort.

Link Posted: 1/16/2014 3:31:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AMERICAN PADLOCK LINK

More storefront / roll-down security shutters in high-crime areas have been secured with these high-security padlocks, for more years, than probably any others. Ask any fireman how difficult they are to overcome (Hint: They can only be defeated by cutting in a specific location with the large, gas powered saw... Therefore, it is easier and faster to cut out the steel security shutters than to attack the padlocks).

American Lock also makes other, related high security padlock models: Other American Locks Link

High Security Hasps LINK
View Quote

An angle grinder on the hasp will make short work(think seconds, not minutes) of anything American makes, short of a puck lock.  Those require a bit more effort, but usually the anchor point is weaker than the lock, so just use the puck as the pry point for the bar.  The partner saw that FD's use takes more time because most of the riot gates actually do use puck locks and are in an awkward position to cut with such a large tool.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 3:51:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Medeco or Abloy/Assa, buy them on-line from a discounter and you should be fine on your target budget.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 9:17:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Medeco or Abloy/Assa, buy them on-line from a discounter and you should be fine on your target budget.
View Quote

I like the Medeco models that have protection over the shackles to prevent cutting, but the ones I am seeing are $100+ a piece .
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 9:18:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I like the Medeco models that have protection over the shackles to prevent cutting, but the ones I am seeing are $100+ a piece .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, they seem to have gone up since I last priced them. I will check a few discount sites and add here if I see something of interest.

ETA: 90 bucks is closer, I have used this company before with no issues.

http://citywidesecurity.stores.yahoo.net/medecolocks.html

There are a couple other companies with similar names, the cold link above is the exact one I have used.

ETA2: another source, have heard they are GTG but never used.

http://shop.peiferlock.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=280_285

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 12:27:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought some ABUS locks from this place before

http://www.1st-in-padlocks.com/

Good prices, and they carry the full line of ABUS and masterlock including the high security shrouded locks. For $75 you can get some serious ABUS locks...
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:39:05 PM EDT
[#9]
What's the story on Federal padlocks, this caught my eye;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181288342635&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top