Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 6/17/2014 2:07:53 PM EDT
I used to reload for my P220 and my XD9. I sold all my equipment when I got divorced. Now I am trying to figure out which is better, buy 2k of ammo or a press dies, and components I am looking at 2k of 223 for $630.00. I would like to start reloading 9mm also. I have over 3k of 223 so I am ok for now but I want more. I was thinking of getting the square deal for the 9mm and then when ready again getting a press for the 223 and keep buying it for now.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:36:05 PM EDT

Like you I reloaded a while back and sold off everything 20 some odd years ago.Got back on board recently balls deep for one reason only. Keeping the man out of my life with required ammo background/data base checks.
I will say this. Far better to buy the ammo built. You will save nothing reloading and in fact spend more and most likely shoot more. The space, tools, components and time needed are not worth 5 or 6 thousand rounds. Shooting a thousand rounds every couple of months I would look into into it, anything less I would by cheap and stack deep. If for other reasons you want to reload such as BR loads, experiment, enjoyment etc, I would by once cry once XL650. Square deal had proprietory dies and pistol only.
I'm now thousands into reloading equipment and tools only, and produced about 5-6 thousand rounds of 9mm, 45ACP, .40, and .223 combined. Soon it will pay off.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:58:47 PM EDT
Get the SDB now, that will get you rolling back into the game. If you find it's not for you, the SDB will resell easily.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:20:10 PM EDT
The SBD only loads handgun ammo and you must buy Dillon's proprietary dies. If you buy any other progressive press, Dillon's 550/650 or Hornady's Lock-N-Load, you can use and transfer standard dies, not so with Dillon's SBD press.

Buying reloading components in quantity right now isn't easy or cheap, however it is cheaper than buying quality loaded ammo in quantity. I would get Dillon's 550 or Hornady's Lock-N-Load.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:43:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:07:58 AM EDT
Just buy the ammo. Components are too hard to get.

If you want a new, expensive, time and space consuming hobby then get the reloading equipment. Don't get that press though, get one you can load everything on.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:22:47 AM EDT
You are on the right track OP. Start with a SDB for 9. If you decide to start loading for any large pistol primer rounds, buy a second SDB.
Powder is the only thing hard to find now, and it will be coming back too.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:12:32 AM EDT
For the price of the SDB, you can get a LNL AP on sale, or damned close to it.
As you're indicating both pistol and rifle, unless you really want to wind up with multiple presses, go for a non-proprietary (SDB has unique dies) progressive.
For me, that choice came down to the LnL AP or the XL650.
Note that if loading 'only' for 9mm and .223, both of them are small primers, so it's just a quick pre-set die or plate swap depending on your press.
If loading numerous calibers, some large primer, some small, I could see where having a pair of presses comes in handy from a convenience side, but swapping tool heads or LnL dies isn't terrible, IMO.

What sorts of quantities are you planning on loading/shooting?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:39:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/18/2014 8:40:02 AM EDT by Trollslayer]
Get a Dillon 550B. Do it now, before you spend the $630 on 223 ammo.

The SDB is dead ended - it works only for pistol ammo and uses Dillon-proprietary dies.

The 550B will do pistol and rifle ammo and uses conventional dies.

P.S. - Dillon makes excellent dies.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:15:03 AM EDT
No get an auto progressive or single stage or nothing. These halfassed presses make no sense. Everybody who buys them end up with an auto anyway. It is a great marketing plan by Dillon, people cheap out and buy the halfassed press to save money, find that it is inferior and buy the auto progressive anyway. Go right to the 650(or L-N-L)

"But but they hold their value", only due to inflation and no more than any other premium brand. Buy one, use it a month and try getting back your purchase price. Wont happen.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:36:20 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By popnfresh:
No get an auto progressive or single stage or nothing. These halfassed presses make no sense. Everybody who buys them end up with an auto anyway. It is a great marketing plan by Dillon, people cheap out and buy the halfassed press to save money, find that it is inferior and buy the auto progressive anyway. Go right to the 650(or L-N-L)

"But but they hold their value", only due to inflation and no more than any other premium brand. Buy one, use it a month and try getting back your purchase price. Wont happen.

View Quote

I use a 550 and have absolutely no regrets or need to upgrade to a 650.
A would certainly not call the 550 a "halfassed" press.

OP, I would go with a 550 myself.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:20:21 PM EDT
If you only plan to reload 9mm,then the SDB will do the job especially if money is tight.
If you have the means, the 550 is a lot more press and not a lot of extra money and you can do rifle on it some day.

Check out some videos on YouTube of each one and see which fits you best
Top Top