Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/28/2003 6:31:35 AM EDT
Ok guys, I just bought my first Garand. I grew up shooting them and miss it terribly. Anyway, what i got was a Springfield barrel date 4-48. Now, my FFL told me this was not a CMP gun and that it was bought at an estate. The stock is in nice shape, bore is shiny but most of the pakerizing is gone. Question is, is there anyway i can track the history of this rifle? Who is an excellent Garand smith, would you re-parkerize it or leave it alone? Should I replace any springse etc... I know this is tough because you guys can't see the rifle but it is nice, got it for $700.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:59:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/28/2003 7:01:14 AM EDT by Ralph]
Go over to the jouster board, www.jouster.com and click on the M1 forum, there are alot people over there who know their way around M1's, also check out www.dgrguns.com Dean is probably the best as far as repark goes, pretty good M1 smith as well,I would at a minium replace the op-rod spring, these can be had from orion7,(you'll find a link to them over at jouster) they make a stainless op-rod spring that is the best,and is cheap, ($7.00ea+ shipping)The jouster site IS the place for M1 fan's, just go over and ask around they'll be happy to help you out.....
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 11:17:26 AM EDT
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 1:21:01 AM EDT
if you want to know if it came from CMP, you can contact them and they will do a check, for a small fee. Otherwise, the first thing I would replace is the op-rod spring. These things are cheap and most problems with the M1 are caused by this spring.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:17:48 AM EDT
If the rifle serial number matches the barrel date (both slightly post WW2) I'd not refinish the rifle, especially since you paid a collector's price for this rifle. There should be no need to replace anything unless something is broken, or the rifle doesn't function properly.

-- Chuck
Top Top