Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2002 9:07:43 PM EDT
I'm planning on mounting a Tasco Super Sniper (42mm obj, 30mm tube) on the FN that should (hopefully) be here this weekend.  What bases and ring heights would you guys recommend?  I've looked at Leupold, but I'm not married to them.  Rings in the Leupold M4/Badger class are, for me, overkill.  I'm thinking dual dovetail or maybe quick release for Leupold.  I emailed Leupold help for their advice, and the rep wrote back "look at the mod 70 long action".  I'm not sure if he knows what he's talking about.  I'd appreciate advice on which bases and ring heights have worked best for those of you who have this rifle.  Thanks.

Rob
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 5:27:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Well Rob as you know I am jumping on the SPR bandwagon.  Mine is presently in custody of FedEx clear across the country but I hope it will be here by the weekend.  Fingers crossed.

Anyway, I went to the gun show last weekend, credit card in hand, and got a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10 LR M3.  For rings, Leupold Mark 4.  For bases, Nightforce tapered mounts for the Winchester Model 70, because after all that's what the SPR really is.  The scope is the one I really wanted.  The rings and bases I bought because that's what the guy with the scope had.  I would have accepted all-Leupold or all-Badger or anything else known to be of top grade.

The Leupold guy doesn't know what he's talking about because the SPR is a short action.

It might gall you to do this (as it did me) but I don't want to spend that kind of bucks on a rifle and scope, then scrimp on rings or bases.  They are expensive but they are heavy and quality items, a lot different from "hunting grade" stuff which might well be adequate but I figure if I am going to do it, I am going to do it all the way.

For ring height, you should be able to get away with low rings on a 42 mm objective scope.  Higher rings are only necessary for larger objective scopes.

I'll post more with a pic when I actually get my rifle and set it up.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 4:01:17 PM EDT
[#2]
CR,

Thanks for the advice on the ring height.  I was worried going too low may affect bolt operation.  

I thought about heavier rings, but then thought - it's only a 308, plus it's not like Leupold is garbage.  With the money I save, I'll probably buy a good single stage press, as I don't like the idea of loading 308s on my progressive.  

When I throw down the big bucks for an SSG 3000, I'll buy Badgers or M4s.  As spendy as these $7-800 dollar rifles are for us poor bastards, we're relatively at the bottom of the barrel.  Oh well.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Got my rifle, set it up, time to hit the range.  Woooohoooo!

Link Posted: 2/28/2002 6:35:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
 As spendy as these $7-800 dollar rifles are for us poor bastards, we're relatively at the bottom of the barrel.  Oh well.

Rob -

FN/SPR bottom of the barrel?  hardly, it's a quality rifle for a Walmart price. Do it right the first time and you won't spend more in the future to get the proper setup.  Badger tapered base and rings are the way to go. For your scope with the 42mm objective the Badger 30mm Medium rings are the right height.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 7:01:45 PM EDT
[#5]
KC

I wont disagree with you. That's why I'm buying one.  But when you look at this rifle's price relative to say, the SIG SSG3000, or any number of the custom jobs available out there, pricewise, yeah, we are at the lower end of the spectrum.  The fact that everything I've read about this rifle says it's a tack driver makes the deal sweeter, though.  I'm wondering how much better a $3-4000 rifle is compared to this FN or a PSS.  

On the subject rings.  I guess I'd really like to know why everyone seems to think you have to get M4s/Badgers/etc.  I know that they look cool, and you can make Tim Allen grunty noises, but do you really need the extra strength?  A few years ago, Range Rover ran an ad showing how big their tire lug nuts were compared to regular lug nuts.  Presumably people would think this was good and go out and buy a Range Rover.  I thought it was a stupid ad because regular lug nuts are more than adequate (for what most people use their SUVs for - ie grocery getting).  Your tires will be destroyed long before you have to worry about your lug nuts.  So, I know these super mounts are really strong, but do you really need the strength?  I'm asking the question because I really don't know.  We're talking 308 Win, do I really have to worry about "regular" rings failing?
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 7:29:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
KC

I'm wondering how much better a $3-4000 rifle is compared to this FN or a PSS.  

On the subject rings.  I guess I'd really like to know why everyone seems to think you have to get M4s/Badgers/etc.

The 3-4000 dollar rifle are purpose built tools designed and made to your specifications.  You have control over every aspect of the build.  

Base and rings / well it's not the power of the round that makes rings fail but rather the field use done by the operator.  If your intent is for bench shooting / known distance shooting without a lot of fieldcraft, then yes, you can do well with the lightweight rings base combos from Leupold.  

But if you want to put the rifle through it's paces in stalking / bad weather / unknown distance shoots / or even Storm Mountain Training events, you'll want a ring/base combo that will retain zero under that kind of rifle abuse.  

Link Posted: 2/28/2002 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#7]
KC,

Thanks for the insight.  Not having participated in any sniper-like events, I have no idea how badly you beat the crap out of your gun.  This does, however, sound like fun in the future, so I may have to consider the long term use of this rifle.  Perhaps I am leaning towards that direction since I found Mark 4 ring/base combos at Botach for just under $200.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 8:28:48 PM EDT
[#8]
"You'll never regret buying the best."  Besides, some weenie like me who did blow the money on the fancy rings will look at your setup and say, "Neat.  Except for the cheesy rings."  You wouldn't want that would you?
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 11:21:51 PM EDT
[#9]
CR,

For that reason alone, I suppose I must get the Mark 4s.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 8:04:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I got mk 4 bases and rings. needed to have leupold send me some longer base screws. two of those included would not contact threads in receiver. check them for length after torqueing them down. you will probably need to trim them for bolt clearance. fortunately, a labor of love. one of the problems was this is a new rifle and no products or experience with this specific unit. although is is basically a win action, some dimensions may be a little different.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 2:56:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey CR,

You said you bought Nightforce tapered bases.  What does the "tapered" do?
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 3:00:42 PM EDT
[#12]
The bases are set up so the scope is not perfectly in line with the bore, it is at a very slight angle.  This gives you more elevation capability for extremely long range.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 3:20:45 PM EDT
[#13]
CR,

Thanks.  I'm surfing all over looking for the best prices.  Did you pick up the tool to torque down your rings/bases?  

Doc,

Thanks to you too.  I'm debating between the Nightforce bases that CR bought and the Mk 4 bases.  I'll be sure to check for screw protrusion.  How's your rifle shooting?
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 6:19:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Rob, I just cranked the stuff down by hand.  I don't have that fancy-schmantzy stuff like torque wrenches.  Total of 8 screws on the rings and four on the bases.  First I put everything together loose just to make sure it all fit and seemed to work, then took it apart and put it together for real.  I screwed the screws down solid and firmly, but didn't gorilla them.  I've got the bases Loc-tited as they aren't coming off again, but the rings are just screwed, in case I need to move something when I actually get the rifle to the range.

Which I hope to do tomorrow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top