Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/28/2002 3:10:56 AM EST
Could anybody tell me what the "going price" is for a legit FAL? I saw one in a local shop the other night for $1,250. The high price tag surprised me a bit...but that was the first "real" FAL that I've seen & handled. It looked to be of WAY better quality than the ~$550 copies that I've seen.

Also can anybody tell me what I should LOOK for in an FAL before laying out that kind of cabbage? This gun looked like a standard FAL, and it came with an extra forearm - a wider one than the standard issue.

Is the genuine article worth twice as much as a copy? Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 3:13:40 AM EST
WHATEVER YOU DO Stay away from Hesse.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 3:48:14 AM EST
Need more info like the receiver brand.

At that price, this needs to be a DS Arms gun.........but probably not enough money for a real FN FAL.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 4:00:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/28/2002 4:36:44 AM EST by GreyGhost]
I'm not sure what you mean by a REAL Fal.You have preban FAL's that were brought in as a complete rifle and you have the rest that are made from parts kits--Azex Arms,Arizona Response,Century,Hesse,DSA Arms,Enterprise etc.

DSA,Azex,Arizona and Enterprise are the best manufactores.Century is the luck of the draw and Hesse is the bottom of the barrel.The cheapest way to go is to build one yourself like I did.

Here's my scenerio....
1. Like new STG58 parts kit--$250

2. Imbel Receiver---- $250

3. Cost to have put together-$200

So for $700 I've got a STG58 that looks like new inside and out.I paid Arizona Response to put it together.You can do it yourself if you want.You will need a few special tools so that's why I had Arizona do it.It looks as good as anything DSA puts out.

Azex and Arizona Response are the premier FAL gunsmiths with A+ reputations.Go here and you'll have all your ? answeared

www.falfiles.com
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 4:05:51 AM EST
One other thing is if you're going to ever get a Fal do it now cause mags are dirt cheap and I think the like new parts kits are drying up fast.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 4:11:21 AM EST
hesse isn't a FN! think he is looking for a price on a FN FAL not got a run of the mill clone!
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 5:01:46 AM EST

Originally Posted By GreyGhost:
I'm not sure what you mean by a REAL Fal.You have preban FAL's that were brought in as a complete rifle......

My post was ".....a real FN FAL......" - not a "REAL Fal.....".

The FN FAL being preban. (Course the designator might be FN 50.63, FN 50.64, FN 50.00 Match L.A.R........., etc., all would be real FN guns and preban.)
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 6:29:06 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/28/2002 6:33:08 AM EST by DavidC]
Russ -

Let me know what gun shop it's in and I'll check it out (I'm in Bucks, too).

If it's an actual preban FN and not shot out completely or damaged in some other way, it's worth the money. That would also be a reasonable price for an excellent SAR-48 or a NIB SAR-4800. Other prebans might fit in that price range as well

If it's a DSA, it depends on the model.

Anything else and it would need to either be a a postban Israeli LB or HB built from an excellent kit on a quality receiver and refinished or a gun from one of the good custom builders built with unissued parts (or as close as possible).

There are exceptions to all of the descriptions above. I spent a lot of time doing research before I ended up with the three FALs I currently own. One of which fits the StG-58 description listed above, though my excellent condition StG-58 kit cost ~ $100 less than that price; you can't find them that cheap any more.

There are a couple of gun shops in the Bucks/Montgomery/Philadelphia area that I can guarantee its just an overpriced kit gun by which shop it is

Link Posted: 7/28/2002 7:43:27 AM EST
The dealer cost for full size STG-58A from DSA is $795 + $15 shipping. There is also your FFL fee.

You basically get a new gun. Some of the parts are used like the firing pin which was slightly discolored and the carry handle had some discoloration marks.

I would say that $1250 is too much for a FAL unless it is one of DSA's new guns.

Spambo
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 9:18:43 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/28/2002 9:19:25 AM EST by GreyGhost]
5subslr5,my post wasn't directed at you.Hope you didn't take it wrong.I'm just so used to FN FAL being used as a generic term.If it's a actual "FN" FAL then it would have to be a preban and most definately worth the price,right?
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 11:49:50 AM EST
I need to visit that shop again & get the particulars on the gun they're offering. In the mean time, I've noticed some used FAL's in the Eq Ex forum. I need to educate myself a little before laying out $1,000+, though.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 11:54:25 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/28/2002 11:54:53 AM EST by Gloftoe]
I love my DSA STG58A. All I had to do was replace the hammer/trigger/sear (but that was just to solve a problem with Portuguese ammo) It's a great shooter, and funner than hell!

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 11:59:26 AM EST

Russ
Let me know what gun shop it's in and I'll check it out (I'm in Bucks, too).

There are a couple of gun shops in the Bucks/Montgomery/Philadelphia area

I work in Montgomery and live in Bucks.
Ever been to Clayton's over in Horsham?
Just wondering?? Tom Sr. can be an Asshole if you don't know him.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 1:16:42 PM EST
Code39: The gun is actually @ a shop in Elizabethtown, PA (between Harrisburg, & Lancaster). I moved from Bucks County 2 months ago (I worked in Horsham, too).

Yea, I've been to Clayton's. 'Bought a gun or two from those folks. My favorite shops though were Target World & Seneca Arms.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 1:24:54 PM EST
At gunsamerica.com, the price on "FN" (made in Belgium)Fal's has been between $1900.00 and $4000.00. Sometimes a cheaper one shows up.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 2:12:50 PM EST
Russ,

I'm still in the process of minor debugging of this rifle which cost me about $600, and is my second FAL build. It is VERY promising. You can do it yourself, too, and way cheaper than a store-bought rifle, and you will have intimate knowledge of it when you are through. Here is my story:
www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44818

Three things I know:

1- You can do this yourself, be rewarded, know your weapon better, and come out a lot cheaper.
2- FAL assemblers live near you.
3- The Fal Files is a valued resource to safely build a FAL.

I'm from Pottsville, PA and currently living in West Texas.

Jim
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 3:01:20 PM EST
What is a "legit" FAL? This post and it's replies have me confused.(I was raised in Oklahoma) I would buy a "legit" FAL for $1250 sight unseen. With no finish and a shot out barrel. Or are we talking about a parts kit and and an upper reciever, that was assembled here in the U.S. by a manufacturer, or the buyer of the parts kit?
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 3:20:04 PM EST
Andrew,

You are correct from the standpoint of a parts kit and an upper receiver. You must also add the appropriate US parts to be legal (which my costing estimate includes). (check out my FAL Files" link. YOU should NOT be willing to pay 1200+ for a shot out kit. My Imbel kit had probably less than 500 rounds through it, and I added premium parts to make a functioning rifle for $600, although you could probably do it for $400, or buy a Century Arms rifle for $400-420. The Fal Files is your "one stop shoppin" for "total consciousness" on your deathbed info on FALs and FN-FALs.

Good luck, in any event

Jim
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 4:17:23 PM EST
Thanks Omar. I was thinking that RussBucksPA was a Belgian FN FAL, for $1250. That's the one I would gladly pay $1250 for now, sight unseen. I bought a brand new one in 1981 or 82. (And still have it today) And haven't seen any of them that cheap for a long time. Have replaced no parts in it yet. I can't count the rounds I've put through it. Many, many, many cases. The one rifle I will never trade off.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 4:35:30 PM EST

Originally Posted By GreyGhost:

I'm just so used to FN FAL being used as a generic term.

Same here.
Top Top