Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2014 10:58:13 AM EDT
For all you home cerakoter's, how and what are you using to degrease.  Cerakote says to soak and not just spray, so I am wondering what I need to get.  I don't want to spend a few hundred on those facy soaking trays, and I figure there has to be Home Depot alternative or soemthing.

Open to suggestions and reccommendations.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:16:04 PM EDT
I have a few 5 gallon buckets with screw on tops filled with methanol (racing fuel).  This has worked for me on a few dozen guns and the methanol doesn't evaporate when the top is screwed on for storage.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:56:33 PM EDT
I use a large container that I have filled with Acetone. I pick it up at Home Depot or Lowes, whichever has it cheaper when I need it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 1:21:07 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mike_P:
I use a large container that I have filled with Acetone. I pick it up at Home Depot or Lowes, whichever has it cheaper when I need it.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 1:49:10 PM EDT
Just did my first Cerakote gun today, I used a 5 gallon bucket with acetone. Worked perfectly and the stuff was nice and clean.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 4:57:08 PM EDT
I use 'Brakleen'; Pep Boy sells it in gallon jugs. Pricey, though, at $26-$28 per gallon.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 9:52:01 PM EDT
Brake parts cleaner, throw the parts in the oven for a bit. If any oil seeps out, clean it some more. I use the spray cans, always keep four or five cans around. Use the 7mil nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight to keep your finger prints off.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:06:38 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bushwack:
Brake parts cleaner, throw the parts in the oven for a bit. If any oil seeps out, clean it some more. I use the spray cans, always keep four or five cans around. Use the 7mil nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight to keep your finger prints off.
View Quote

+1 on the oven. Brakleen or acetone
Top Top