Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2006 1:41:14 PM EDT
Anyone have one of these? Looking for info/reliability. Will be semi auto. Thought I remember seeing a post somewhere about cycling problems with shorties like this but I could very well be mistaken!

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:29:23 AM EDT
[#1]
i had a 7.5" and it worked perfectly and it was from model 1 so i would think the kittykat would function fine
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:00:19 AM EDT
[#2]
My model1 7.5" works well- with the right ammo.  I haven't tried it in FA yet- maybe I'll do that later today.

Issues that I've come across with shorty uppers are twofold.

First, extractor jump/FTE.  Happens in full and semi.   This can be mitigated with a #60 "O" ring placed around the extractor spring (perfect fit), or you can get the Wolf extra power spring.  Still may not function 100%

Second, bolt bounce.  FA only.  A heavier buffer slows the ROF and hence prevents (?eliminates) bolt bounce/light primer strike.  Again, FA only in my experience.

Interestingly enough, I've had issues (in FA) with the gun not wanting to eat the last 2 or 3 rounds from a perfectly good new mil-spec mag with the green followers.  Believe it or not, my el-cheapo steel Taiwan (?sp) mags function PERFECTLY in FA.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:43:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the feedback guys. Thanks for the extractor hint. I am going to get a form 1 sent in right away. I will be mating the KK to a colt lower. Now I need to hunt down a good colapsable stock set up!

Notch
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:54:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a DPMS Kitty Kat, and it has never jammed.  The concussion is awesome!  I have put about 2K rds through mine and never jammed or failed to extract.  The issues about reliability with the super short barrel is non existent in my experience.  It doesn't have a pigtail tube but a straight gas tube.  I ended up putting on a Noveske KX3 but not for reliability issues but for controllability issues(plus it looks great as well).  The KFH makes my flaming pig controllable and a hoot to shoot!  I have run it FA without a hitch, but to prevent bolt bounce I ran it with a heavy buffer(heavy 9mm buffer).  It ran perfect in both SA and FA.  I have run commercial, mil surplus, Wolf junk, handloads and nothing phased it.  I do recommend getting it in the A3 configuration because the sight radius is way too short in the A2.(I have owned both and converted the A2 to a A3 after one range trip.  The Kitty Kat is also great as a 22 Conversion host, 95% of the Walmart bulk 22lr stays SUBSONIC and mounting my SWR WARLOCK on the end of it makes it a dream to shoot suppressed.  Nice and compact and defeinitely a crowd maker at the range.  The KK with 22kit and CCI SUBSONICS is a incredible combo.  Guy next to me thought I was just cycling the action, my target thought otherwise.  It is a pity the mags only hold 10 rds.

If you have any questions please email rather than IM and I will be happy to answer.  Heres a picture oy my KK SBR.  I don't want to hijack the thread with a picture so here is a direct link to the picture.

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/5040/s40266714od.jpg

Tite_Shot_VA

EDIT:  I have not had an issue with the extractor as described above, mine chucks brass a good distance and I don't even worry about that, only worry if I have enough rounds for my range trip!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top